629 Extractor

PDA

44Caliber
December 28, 2002, 04:01 PM
I own a 629 44 magnum. I am trying to remove the extractor for cleaning purpases. I realize that the extractor has a reverse thread. I have tried by rolling a piece of leather on the smooth surface and a vice gripped plier rotating clockwise to loosen. Either it will not come loose or I marr the finish of the extractor.
Does anybody have any ideas?
Does anybody know how they remove it at the S&W factory?
Any idea of how expensive those extractors are?
I do not the patience to wait until Monday to call S&W service
Please advise!
44 Caliber

If you enjoyed reading about "629 Extractor" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
VictorLouis
December 28, 2002, 05:51 PM
Fill the chambers with fired(expanded) cases, a minimun of 3 if you don't have 6. This is to support the star so the small pins underneath it don't get broken off. Leave the gun's yoke in place(what the cylinder rotates on). This will keep the ejector rod oriented straight and lend support so that there's less chance of you bending it. You'll need vise-grips to get a good strong hold of the rod with the leather padding there to protect the finish. As you know, turn clockwise to loosen on a reverse thread.

If I may ask, why do you really need to remove it? You can get the gun clean enough to be reliable and functional without ever having to take it off. Once you do, it's difficult not to over-torque it in tightening it back up. Of course, if it's not tight enough, it will work loose and cause difficulty in opening the cylinder. That is, if you catch it in time. Otherwise, it may really bind up hard.:o

JoeHatley
December 28, 2002, 08:32 PM
On really tough ones, I remove the cylinder assembly from the frame and put the ejector rod in a padded bench vise. I use chunk of an old leather belt for padding. Turn the cylinder by hand to loosen. Don't forget the left hand threads and some empty cases in place.

A squirt of WD40 beforehand couldn't hurt.

Good Luck...

Joe

telewinz
December 29, 2002, 04:28 PM
I wouldn't remove ejector without very good reason. Loosened mine years ago and it still shakes loose no matter how tight I hake it. It locks your revolver up right now

44Caliber
December 29, 2002, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the replies:
I was having a problem opening the cylinder. The guys at the range thought the problem might be due to inadequate lubrication or gumming between the cylinder rod and extractor.
Once I removed the extractor, (unfortunately marring the stainless finish) I found that the forward end of the cylinder rod had slightly mushroomed and therefore was too tight within the extractor. I used some fine emery cloth to take care of the problem but now have a marred extractor that works but looks bad. If in the future I need to remove the extractor I wish to know the best method without screwing up the finish!
That is why I placed the Post.
44 Caliber

If you enjoyed reading about "629 Extractor" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!