"DC Taxi Drivers To Pack Heat"???

PDA

David
February 11, 2003, 04:14 AM
Especially in DC, I can't believe they are thinking of letting taxi drivers pack heat -- perhaps there is hope for law abiding citizens everywhere!

I just read this story online:

http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewNation.asp?Page=%5CNation%5Carchive%5C200302%5CNAT20030210a.html

If I worked as a cabbie, I think I would wear "body armor" AND carry!:neener:

Just my 2 cents...

If you enjoyed reading about ""DC Taxi Drivers To Pack Heat"???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Leatherneck
February 11, 2003, 11:09 AM
The chances of that being accomplished in Washington DC are approximately...

zero.

TC
TFL Survivor

Don Gwinn
February 11, 2003, 11:20 AM
Just offhand, not having read the article, I'd say there's absolutely no chance. The only way I'd begin to think this might possibly be a serious effort with a little support behind it is if it comes out that there's some kind of taxi-driver union or organization that was going to participate in the NRA lawsuit and has a lot of clout for some reason. Extending special privileges to "buy off" small insular groups is not an unheard-of strategy for gun-control diehards.

pizzaaguy
February 11, 2003, 11:23 AM
They can get their CCW when they get their green card
and CDL!!! :rolleyes:

HABU
February 11, 2003, 11:24 AM
I dont know about DC, but Seattle cabbies are all named Ahmed, Ali, Muhamad etc. Just what we need to do, arm terrorists. Pardon me, suspected terrorists. :D

Dex Sinister
February 11, 2003, 09:05 PM
I used to talk online with the owner of a limo / cab service in Baltimore, MD, who had a CCW (this was 15-ish years ago.) He carried both a gun and a camera, and said that in his experience, the camera was more of a deterent.

It's really pretty dumb of the cab companies, though - all you actually need is a box with a mirrored surface, an LED light, and a sign that says,

"This wireless camera transmits directly to our headquarters, where it is recorded 24 hours a day."

As a great former thief once said, "The object is not to 'stop thieves' - the object is to make thieves think, 'Errr, I think maybe I'll go next door.' "

[His suggestions for home security ran to putting a hand-written note on your most vulnerable house door that said, "Bill, don't use this door! All the rattlesnakes got out of the tank again!" when you left for vacation.] :D

Dex :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about ""DC Taxi Drivers To Pack Heat"???" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!