Are # of guns REALLY so hard to believe?

PDA

twoblink
May 27, 2004, 02:04 AM
So I tell my students "I have 10 guns." They gasp. They think, why on God's green earth, do you need so many..

They think 10 is 10 too many :rolleyes: :scrutiny:

I'm waiting to tell my students about people like Tamara...

twoblink: "I know a woman named Tamara..."
students: "Does she have 10 guns also?"
twoblink: "She has more than 10 in just revolvers alone."
students :what: :what: :what:

come on.. is 10 really that scary of a number?

Let's hear your numbers...

If you enjoyed reading about "Are # of guns REALLY so hard to believe?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BigBlueEyedDevil
May 27, 2004, 02:11 AM
I have 11. But i'm a college student. It's great being at a liberal school and telling people that i'm into guns. They ask home many and when I say 11 they just politely nod and then never talk to me ever again. :evil:

ExtremeDooty
May 27, 2004, 02:14 AM
10-11 guns sounds just about right to me. That is of course until I actually own that many. Then 15-16 will sound about right.

Parker Dean
May 27, 2004, 02:34 AM
People like that most likely don't understand the mechanical world in general, and firearms in particular. While they wouldn't be shocked about it like they are with guns they wouldn't understand the desire to own multiple cars either. If you said you owned ten cars, they'd be like why do you need ten cars? Never understanding that each one is different, even within the same model.

dukeofurl
May 27, 2004, 02:41 AM
I bought 11 Glock 22's at one time almost a year ago.

I told my FFL to go ahead and sign the comittment papers if I do something that insane again.

BigBlueEyedDevil
May 27, 2004, 02:53 AM
I bought 11 Glock 22's at one time almost a year ago.

Were you preparing to take over Canada???

dukeofurl
May 27, 2004, 03:38 AM
Close, Massacusetts.

Iron Mike
May 27, 2004, 05:31 AM
I have 45 guns of various kinds,not enough shotguns (only two) And no Maks ,CZs or Moisens (sp?). So as you can see I do need ay least three more

Hkmp5sd
May 27, 2004, 06:08 AM
For some reason, people can collect anything and have hundreds of items, but they think your nuts if you have a bunch of guns. Besides, I'm hoping my collection rolls into three digits in the near future.

Night Guy
May 27, 2004, 06:23 AM
For some reason, people can collect anything and have hundreds of items, but they think your nuts if you have a bunch of guns.

No kidding. My mother collects nick knacky little figurines of snowmen and turtles and I think she's certifiably insane. And even though she is gun neutral, she would probably think that my having four pistols is far too many.

rms/pa
May 27, 2004, 06:34 AM
it's like golf clubs.

got your duck gun,the upland game gun, the dense brush gun, the montana elk gun, the second growth timber deer rifle , the target rifle
and the piss em off gun. thats just the long guns.

then there is your james bond gun,the snake gun, the alligator gun, the court gun , the BBQ gun,the work gun , the target gun, the legacy gun, and the cute gun(awww ain't that cute).

feel free to add more if i forgot one.

rms/pa

dukeofurl
May 27, 2004, 06:57 AM
Dont forget your "pruning that damn branch that is dangling a little too close to the power lines" gun.

Langenator
May 27, 2004, 07:03 AM
And you forgot the ever popular shooting the goblin who breaks into your house gun.

I've got 21...I think. And technically, 2 of those belong to my wife.

Best gun shirt I saw at the Charlotte gunshow in early April: "If you know how many guns you have, you don't have enough."

Treylis
May 27, 2004, 07:12 AM
I just got into a conversation with somebody about this--they just couldn't understand why I needed more than one gun.

After laughing maniacally for a few moments, I attempted to set them straight. ;-)

GSB
May 27, 2004, 07:35 AM
Ten guns? Well, you need at least ten handguns:

1) Target

2) Morning casual

3) Late morning semi-causal

4) Noon formal

5) Business casual

6) Business fomal

7) Afternoon relaxed

8) Evening hemi-demi-semi formal

9) Evening formal

10) Nightstand

twoblink
May 27, 2004, 07:44 AM
Then, there's owning guns, by make..then there's owning them by model..then there's owning them by the same make and model, but different caliber..

And of course, I have friends that have the same gun in SA/DA, and DAO.. So what, trigger types make a difference?

And then, there's owning the same gun but in different calibers.. And then there's the "I have a left kidney and a right kidney, so I bought a left kidney holster, and a right kidney holster...so I needed two of each gun.."

I catagorize by logistics of course...

Newbie logistics
Rifle logistics
Semi-auto handgun logistics
Revolver logistics
Cowboy logistics
Urban Tactical logistics
Sniper logistics
shotgun logistics
James Bond logistics
Skunk compatibility logistics
John Woo logistics
Poser logistics
BOB logistics
SHTF logistics
woodland logistics
desert logistics
guerilla warfare logistics
hunting logistics
hunting dangerous game logistics...

So all together, I find that I'm 24 guns short of filling my required logistics setup...

34 guns.. that's not too bad right?? :uhoh:

dukeofurl
May 27, 2004, 08:09 AM
GSB, I need to modify your list some and to show what I have that is suitable for such.

1) Target - Check. Glock 34

2) Morning casual - Check. Glock 34

3) Late morning semi-causal - Check. Glock 34

4) Noon formal - Check. Para P14

5) Business casual - Check. Kahr P40

6) Business fomal - Check. Dual Para P14's

7) Afternoon relaxed - Check. Glock 34

8) Evening hemi-demi-semi formal - Check. Glock 34 and Glock 19

9) Evening formal - Check. Glock 32

10) Nightstand - Check. Glock 19.

11) Hunting - Check. Remington 1100/742

12) Plinking - - Check. Glock 34.

13) Competition (One gun for each discipline division ought to do it) - Check. You dont want to know.

14) BBQ (The one you show off to friends at a BBQ - Check. Again, dont ask.

15) Desk conversation peice/paperweight (pardon the pun) - Check. S&W K frame

16) Rack grade, wall mounted conversation peice - Check. Remington 742

17) Terrorist Hunter/Homeland Security Rifle (Optional) - Dont have one specifically yet, but my Benelli fits the bill.

18) Next to front door in case of missionaries - Check. Benelli M1

RED-DOG 40
May 27, 2004, 08:14 AM
Guns are just like tools. I have thousands of tools. Each one has a purpose and I'm always needing a different one for a task. Guns/auto tools are used in a profession as LEO and mechanic and they are used for a hobbie, (ex: shooting/restoring vehicles).....:cool:

Zach S
May 27, 2004, 08:19 AM
I only have nine:(

Preacherman
May 27, 2004, 08:20 AM
18) Next to front door in case of missionaries - Check. Benelli M1
Duke, ol' buddy, you'd better pray that your THR honorary chaplain - namely, me - doesn't come to your door! I'll be the first missionary to outgun you... :D

The Real Hawkeye
May 27, 2004, 08:30 AM
Tripple digits, but my next door neighbor puts my collection to shame.

Gus Dddysgrl
May 27, 2004, 09:04 AM
I have 3 in my apartment, but one is still technically my mothers. Dad claimed it then I moved out with it. :D :neener: :evil: I don't know if I'll ever give it back. I'm still saving to hopefully get more then 10. The sad thing is I haven't gotten into them enough to know which 10 I want. Of course I do want to buy one matching mine so I can have twins and give one to Gus's Guy. :)

10 definitly doesn't sound like enough, but don't tell my mom I said that.

:uhoh: :rolleyes:

Ben Shepherd
May 27, 2004, 09:27 AM
You know dad and I discussed this the other day. While he hunts every year and is very pro-gun, I usually make him shake his head.

He asked me "Just exactly how many 357s do you think you need? Don't you have half a dozen as it is?"

I just smiled and said "Yeah, I've got that many, I might get a couple more."

Good thing he hasn't seen inside my safe, I'm over a dozen 357s. (All I can figure is they breed in the dark or somethin') :D

And there are a few other calibers I like.

Total # of guns? Let's just say I have more than one for every year I've existed.

Baba Louie
May 27, 2004, 09:35 AM
One time I asked my dad why he had so many Winchester 90's (the little pump .22 gallery type). My dear old Pa told me, "You can NEVER have too many guns or fishing poles... but don't tell yer Ma that, cause she just don't understand."
Words to live by if you ask me.
I'd probably amend that to say "You can't have too many guns or books, and if people don't understand that, that's their problem, not mine." (I'm not really that big a fan of fishing since all I do is drown bait and get sunburned)

Pa's getting on in years, has emphysema and has already talked to me about his collection, care and feeding thereof. I've only got about 5 dozen or so of my own to care for and feed. Adding his to the clan... well, it'll be time for another safe or two.

mfree
May 27, 2004, 09:43 AM
to each gun a different purpose, and a different use.

Though I only have three, I could easily stretch into the 20's and never even duplicate a caliber.

Heh, is that a viable SHTF plan, instead of getting guns that use the most common ammunition, get (at least) one gun for any kind of ammo you run across? :)

Heh, someone gives you a case of 5mm bergmann because to them it's worthless.... and you pull a 5mm bergmann revolver out of the gun (warehouse) safe :)

Jack T.
May 27, 2004, 09:45 AM
So I tell my students "I have 10 guns."

You just start collecting this year? :D

Master Blaster
May 27, 2004, 10:23 AM
If one collects and chooses carefully, then they can be not only fun to collect but an excellent investment for example:

Nickle plated series 70 Govt model, purchased 5 years ago for $325 now have been offered $600 for it.

S&W 27-2 in pristine condition 5 years ago paid $350 now worth $5-600

Colt enhanced ultimate officers acp, 3 years ago paid $550 to dealer who was thrilled to move it. Current value on the auctions I have seen prices of $900 -1500 for it.

41mag
May 27, 2004, 10:25 AM
This thread is kinda embarrassing.
Just for kicks I started writing them down when I read the first post.I"knew"that I had them all four times so far:uhoh: .
Then I added what's on lay-a-way & just groaned.No wonder I'm always broke.:D
As far as the "why do you need more than one?"question?I usually just ask them how many kids they have.Sometimes it works!;)

Werewolf
May 27, 2004, 10:41 AM
Well HECK!

Everyone should have at least one gun that falls into each of these categories:

1) Historical SAA Revolver
2) Historical Lever Action Rifle
3) Historical SXS Shotgun
4) Historical Battle Rifle - Civil War
5) Historical Battle Rifle - Post Civil War Pre WWI
6) Historical Battle Rifle - WWI
7) Historical Battle Rifle - WWII
8) Historical Battle Rifle - Korea
9) Historical Battle Rifle - Post Korea Pre Vietnam
10) Historical Battle Rifle - Vietnam
11) Historical Battle Rifle - Post Vietnam
12) At least 2 Combloc Rifles

One each pistol in:
13) Carry Pistol (preferably in at least .40 S&W or larger)
14) 9mm
15) .357
16) .40 S&W
17) 10mm
18) .45ACP
19) .44Mag
20) and if yur really serious about guns a 50AE or .500 S&W

And then there's the need for:

21) .22 LR plinking rifle (iron sights)
22) .22 LR scoped target rifle
23) Centerfire Scoped Varmint Rifle (large selection to pick from)
24) Centerfire Scoped rifle in the .270/7mm range
25) Centerfire Scoped rifle in the 30 Cal range
26) Centerfire Scoped rifle in the .375 Cal range
27) Lever Gun that shoots 45/70 or better
28) and for those really long shots where you need to absolutely be sure you take it down with just one shot a .50 BMG or better

Some folks who need help hitting stuff they aim at might also consider:

29) 12ga Pump Shotgun
30) 12ga Semi-Auto Shotgun
31) 20ga pump Shotgun
32) .410 Shotgun for the yungun's first scatter gun

AND for those with just way too much money on their hands

33) A Steyr Scout (if you're a Jeff Cooper kinda guy or gal you can just get the SS and forget about everything else mentioned above)

I imagine I've left something out. Feel free to add to the list.

WhoKnowsWho
May 27, 2004, 10:48 AM
26 firearms, 8 are long arms, 1 is a single shot shotgun, and my wife has 6 handguns of her own too.

Still not too much compared to the almos 300 DVDs I own... :uhoh:

Checkman
May 27, 2004, 10:49 AM
20. No plans to stop anytime soon. I might slow down and I might have dry spells, but no plans to stop. Realistically I probably shoot only about four or five of them consistently and some only get shot once every couple of years, but they're mine and I can pull them out of the safe and show them off to friends.

Cool guns.
Movie (oohhhh I want one) guns
Real world guns
Fun guns
Collector guns
Historical guns
Guns to own just because I want the gun
Guns I've inherited
etc. etc.etc.:D

Mornard
I'm not bragging, just living proof it may actually be possible to own more deer rifles than you actually need. Just a thought, though.

With any luck, that number will increase by two, very shortly... and there's another four or six on my Want list...

Mikul
Ten doesn't sound like a lot to me. You'd have to be around 28 for it to sound like a lot. That's just too many guns to clean. Even if I cleaned my guns (shot or not) once per year, I'd still be cleaning guns every other week. SHEESH!

I have seven and there is only one gun on my wish list. If the AWB expires, there will be two. If CZ will finally wake up and make something in 10mm, there would be three.

Then I would have the same insane number of guns as you.

Hemicuda
May 27, 2004, 10:51 AM
I have 28 long guns and 6 handguns that are currently not in the safe... the safe is full beyond manufacturers capacity too... (and it AIN'T a small safe!)

best guess, 100 or so... and it ain't even a drop in the bucket, compared to dad's collection!

OEF_VET
May 27, 2004, 10:52 AM
10? Heck, I think I've sold that many in the past year, and bought at least that many to replace them.

I get the same kind of looks of bewilderment when I tell my fellow college students that I own (ok, how many do I own?) quite a few guns. They just don't understand the fact that each one is different, with its' own personality and appeal.

Frank

The Real Hawkeye
May 27, 2004, 10:58 AM
Baba Louie, nice Winchester. I have one of them too, except mine isn't in as good condition as the one you show.

Baba Louie
May 27, 2004, 11:08 AM
TR Hawkeye,
I just borrowed that photo, but it is sweet, no? Dad only has 6 of the darned things and earlier on in life, when I expressed a desire to (ahem) borrow (ahem) one for a decade or two, he actually got kind of bent and told me to go get my own. (The nerve of some people's fathers I tell ya). He has two that look that nice. He knows he destroyed the value by refinishing them but he just plain old didn't care. The others he got into good working order but left the finish as is.

The Real Hawkeye
May 27, 2004, 11:16 AM
Baba Louie, the one I have works perfectly. It's strictly for .22 Shorts. A lot of fun. Mine has some rust marks, missing some blueing, and has a good bit of old darkened dents in the wood. Still a beauty to behold, though, IMHO. I paid $600 for it a few years ago. It was probably owned by a traveling fair or something, like most of the old gallery guns.

molonlabe
May 27, 2004, 11:19 AM
45 maybe 50 including precision airguns, lost count.

boofus
May 27, 2004, 11:21 AM
I'm so deprived. I only have 4. If the zombies came tommorrow I wouldn't have enough to pass around to keep people from getting their brains eaten. :(

Please donate to the BBANG (Buy Boofus A New Gun) fund. :D

Pappy John
May 27, 2004, 11:40 AM
Well let's see....ya need your .22 semi-auto pistol, then your .22 revolver, then your .22 semi rifle, .22 bolt action, then throw in a single shot reproduction model, just for when you're feeling in a retro mood......and that's just the rimfires. Do I really need to go into the centerfire stuff? It only gets worse on that side of the safe.:D

P.S. Oops, I forgot about that lonely .22 magnum way in the back.

Tamara
May 27, 2004, 11:48 AM
twoblink: "I know a woman named Tamara..."
students: "Does she have 10 guns also?"
twoblink: "She has more than 10 in just revolvers alone."

I have twelve.

Twelve .38 Specials, that is... :uhoh:

I've got thirty-seven wheelguns at the moment... Always in flux.

JohnBT
May 27, 2004, 12:03 PM
I thought I owned a lot until I met a man who owns 1200 shotguns. Okay, he and his father own 1200 shotguns. That number doesn't include his grandmother's collection. ;)

John

sturmruger
May 27, 2004, 12:33 PM
I am 26 and have 8 long guns and 9 pistoles. I am pretty happy with that number. I am projecting that by the time I am 31, or 32 I will have a gun for every year I have been alive. From then on out my goal will be to buy two guns per year.

Heraclitus
May 27, 2004, 12:53 PM
Mid forties here. 7 pistols and a rifle. That's down quite a bit from the 30 guns I owned at one time. If the reaper is kind enough to give me notice, it'll go down to 1: the wife's. Else, she gets the whole kit and kabootle. Something she doesn't exactly want to contend with.

twoblink
May 27, 2004, 01:06 PM
We are all just trying to keep the economic engine going right? :D

My friend Dave has 191, one less than his dad. He inherited Grandpa's.. :D Said his dad got pissed off, when gramps retired and gave all his guns to Dave... So his dad went out and bought enough so he had just one more than Dave.. Gun owners are sick :evil:

Oh, Tamara, I wasn't sure how many wheelguns, but I did seem to recall on one of the photos, I saw at least 20+ wheelguns. Glad I wasn't lying to my students.. I'll tell them "Tamara has 37, but it's not the end of the week yet, so you just can't hold me to that number." :D

Sawdust
May 27, 2004, 01:09 PM
I only have three.

Me have gun-envy of y'all.:mad: :banghead: :cuss: :fire: :scrutiny: :neener:

Sawdust

Indy7373
May 27, 2004, 01:09 PM
At the ripe old age of 20, I own (wow, I had to count them in my head, never realized I owned that many) 13 guns and a 14th missing a stock. I must be one of those weirdo gun nuts who needs to be watched constantly.

(Especially since I only started getting into guns less than a year ago):D

Indy7373
May 27, 2004, 01:13 PM
Ohh, forgot the blackpowder stuff. I have a .50 caliber blackpowder rifle and a colt .44 in blackpowder. (not the best shape, but got an awesome price on it):D

Need more.

Tamara, are you married :D :D ;) .

HiWayMan
May 27, 2004, 01:16 PM
Lets put it this way. Bought the second largest safe Heritage makes b/c that was the largest that would fit in the house. Its filled and the room is still stacked high. I think itwould be cheaper to have one of the extra bedrooms armoured instead of buying the two more safes I desperately need. Oh ya, and I'm only 25.:D

manwithoutahome
May 27, 2004, 01:25 PM
I lost count at about 25.

If God allows me to live another 36 years, I plan on at least doubling that number :D.

M.

cslinger
May 27, 2004, 01:32 PM
10 heck, the way I see it if anybody ever breaks in here I will probably be found dead in front of a whole slew of firearms scattered,unfired, around me. My tombstone will read "He simply couldn't choose fast enough."

Suffice to say the Slingers have a bunch.

I like owning different calibers and action types for the variety and joy of shooting various firearms when the whim strikes me.

Chris

gulogulo1970
May 27, 2004, 01:56 PM
17, after I get my Savage model 99, I'm going to put myself into sort of a holding pattern. Have to learn to shoot more and buy less!

waynzwld
May 27, 2004, 02:03 PM
Somewhere around 50, but a friend of mine has around 200+ !!:eek:

bigmtnman
May 27, 2004, 02:27 PM
23. Thirteen pistols, one revolver, and nine long guns. Hmmmm...just realized that I don't have a shotgun. Variety truly is the 'spice of life'.:)

(edited because I lost count!:D )

Turkish
May 27, 2004, 04:13 PM
My collection just recently reached #10 with the purchase of a CZ-52. My family used to own 3 guns, up until about 5 years ago when i really started to get into shooting after i figured out it was alot more fun to hit what I was aiming at with the AR-15 that to just spray as fast as my finger could pull the trigger.

Coures, every now and then I've got to scare the occasional new shooter(yep, 16 years old and already bringing more into the fold) and just go all out and bump fire a 30rounder.

Jack R
May 27, 2004, 04:54 PM
at last count.....around 35....hand guns..rifles..front-loaders..shotguns...22's..not counting a bunch of BB& pellet guns....they follow me home

lee n. field
May 27, 2004, 05:27 PM
come on.. is 10 really that scary of a number?

Not to me. Maybe we don't realize how much we've got invested in our hobby/obsession. I've got easily 3 or 4 thousand in guns, purchased over 15 years, none of which is worth more than $400.

"A gun here, a gun there, pretty soon you''re talking real money."

iamkris
May 27, 2004, 05:32 PM
14 rifles
13 handguns
4 shotguns

If my puhblik skoowl education serves me that's 31. Dang, I need to at least have the same number of guns as years I am old. That's a good goal. I need 8 more...9 by July.

lee n. field
May 27, 2004, 05:42 PM
Or, if you're into Babylon 5:

"we . . . . have six." --Vir Cotto

:D :D :D

cratz2
May 27, 2004, 06:40 PM
Here's how I see it... if you buy used and you buy smart, they rarely depreciate. I figure for someone that has the money and has the time to use them, a good minimum collection looks like the following:

One 22 rifle
At least one AR or AK of some sort
Mosin carbine
Some rifle in 308, 30-06 or similar
Hunting rifle in 30-30, 44 Mag or similar
Pump 12 gauge shotgun

22 pistol or revolver
Carry gun - probably a midsize (ala CZ PCR, G23, SIG 229 etc...)
1911 of some sort (because you HAVE to)
Nice range worthy 9mm
Something you can throw in a pocket - 5 shot 38 or 357

That's 11 right there and there is definately room for expansion. :p

Jeff Timm
May 27, 2004, 06:49 PM
Uhh. Let's see. Ummm. We counting only firearms or airguns too?

Revolvers:

Single action: 1
Double Action: 3

Pistols:

1911s: 3
Others: 1
POS: 1 (Everyone has one sucker piece..right?)

Rifles:

Semi auto: 2
Bolt: 1

Shotguns:

Pump: 1

13 Total

Spring Air: 2 Daisy 1 long, 1 short.

CO2: 1 Revolver Crossman.

magsnubby
May 27, 2004, 06:53 PM
I have 22 handguns,1 shotgun and 4 rifles. Amann can never have to many guns,to much ammo or to much beer.

Baba Louie
May 27, 2004, 06:55 PM
So far thats approx 837 from those who actually posted a known quantity (which is 31 posters that I count) for an avg of 27 each, and we know that doesn't count Tam's long guns or 1911's or any of Cratz2's, etc.
If one could foolishly use that avg number for each member here... why one could assume there must be a whole bunch of gun nuts er, aficianados on board. Hmmm... 11,000 x 27...
And here I was feeling like a slacker fer not pulling my weight...

glock 21
May 27, 2004, 07:04 PM
:p
well, there's never enough, the hankering comes and the money goes. Then there's the problem of feeding all those hungrey puppies too. Gun shows are better than drive in movies were when I was 17 and had a pristine 55 chevy, now would much rather have a pristine AR to drive round the range.

Shanghai McCoy
May 27, 2004, 07:25 PM
Heck,the wife and I have 13 BLACKPOWDER guns.Ya got yer flintlocks,cap locks,Colt revolvers,Remington revolvers single shot pistols.....can't rightly recall how many of those newfangeled smokeless guns we have,but it's more than 13.:D

Roadkill
May 27, 2004, 07:48 PM
Forty Three. I'm not trading near as much as I used to. Probably have had ten or twelve come in and out this year, net gain of two.

I'm about done. Haven't had a Beretta 9mm yet.

rk

Ben Shepherd
May 27, 2004, 07:53 PM
Maybe not exact, but I've been thinking since my last post:

Shotguns: 3
Rifles: 15ish
Handguns: 20 something or other.

CleverNickname
May 27, 2004, 08:22 PM
7 pistols, 6 rifles, a shotgun, 2 machineguns, 1 suppressor. Some of those are the same type (3 ARs, for example). I'm at the point where I really need to shoot what I have more often versus buying more guns that will just sit in my safe. Buying guns for collecting's sake doesn't really appeal to me.

WhiteKnight
May 27, 2004, 08:51 PM
Y'all are making me feel horrible!

I only own 5.

About to be 6 though.

I'm actually trying my hardest to spend less on guns and more on ammo. I often get so caught up in buying this gun or that gun, or replacing this scope or these rings with something new that I neglect actually shooting said item and improving my skill with it.

IMHO
Avid shooter > avid gun buyer

Hkmp5sd
May 27, 2004, 08:57 PM
You know you are a major gun fanatic when the value of your gun collection exceeds the value of your house. :) Assuming of course, you don't live in a cardboard box in the city park.

Another symptom of fanaticism is when you can list all of your firearms from memory, but can't remember your spouse's birthday.

Freedspeak
May 27, 2004, 09:15 PM
Werewolf

In your list you forgot a 41 Mag, & a 50 BMG!:D

M2 Carbine
May 27, 2004, 09:26 PM
Between 81 and 91.

Lately I got a Bushmaster and a couple Makarovs and a couple other guns before that.
I have to change the numbering system of my Excell spread sheet to get an exact total.

Most guns I buy more than one when I especially like them, like 11 Makarovs.:)

pahrumpcaveman
May 27, 2004, 10:24 PM
42 and counting ( guns that is ) Have my first custom gun coming from Gary Reeder soon

Phil in Seattle
May 27, 2004, 10:42 PM
I sometimes get asked if I have alot of guns, I ask back " How many guns is alot?"

Usually I have several times their number and I don't think I have all that many.

M1911Owner
May 27, 2004, 11:08 PM
18) Next to front door in case of missionaries - Check. Benelli M1Remember, J. M. Browning was a missionary!! :neener:

aquapong
May 27, 2004, 11:21 PM
Imo, the minimum everyone needs is...

1. Deer hunting rifle (none yet)

2. SHTF rifle (covered by 2 SKS's but will eventually replace with a FAL)

3. a .22 rifle (Marlin 25N)

4. primary CCW/nightstand (Glock 19)

5. small CCW/nightstand for partner (Taurus 605)

6. pistol in room on the other main floor (2nd Glock 19)

7. all purpose shotgun w/long, short, and maybe a slug barrel to cover #1 (not yet)

8. tiny CCW (none yet)

flatdog
May 27, 2004, 11:46 PM
Hello everyone I'm new here. Looks like a good place to be.

I think you get that shocked response because many people are conditioned to see guns only as the power to kill or destroy. Pure and simple.

They have an irrational fear of firearms and don't trust themselves or anyone else with them. And since they don't own even one they feel defenseless and scared.

In their minds owning one gun implies evil intent. But owning more than one means your chomping at the bit to commit an evil act.

lee n. field said: "Or, if you're into Babylon 5"

"we . . . . have six." --Vir Cotto

" six huh!" --Ivanova :D

flatdog

Chuck Jennings
May 27, 2004, 11:53 PM
Next week I will pick up my 10th gun this year.

P95Carry
May 28, 2004, 12:17 AM
flatdog . looks to be your first post!! Welcome to THR dude! :)

Hmmm .. this morning it was 60 .... this afternoon it became 61 :rolleyes: As the BFR rolled into town and staked its claim to the largest shelf in the safe. :D

4v50 Gary
May 28, 2004, 12:23 AM
I've known people who are in the hundreds. As a kid, my father introduced me to a friend who had over 100 pristine P-08 Lugers. :eek:

dukeofurl
May 28, 2004, 12:52 AM
I've got nothing against missionaries, but I come from the school of thought that proclaims - I belive in freedom of expresson, provided you express what you want away from MY general direction.

The BEST quote ever said to missionaries:

"Your God wants you to waste your life- your most precious gift- by trying to enslave others with your views. Dont you think God wants us to be happy, make our own descisions and our own paths? I do. I beleive in a fair, good, kind God. So get the ???? off my doorstep before I make a descision that involves you, me, a shotgun and God almighty himself."

flatdog
May 28, 2004, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the welcome P95Carry!

I think I've got a feel for this board and like what I see.

flatdog.

Valkman
May 28, 2004, 01:01 AM
I found that when I left the commy "Land of Gray Davis" last September and found freedom my collection grew by leaps and bounds! I had about 15 when I moved here and have added 2 1911's, 2 wheelguns, 1 modern rifle and 3 C&R rifles. Next is an Uzi - I like freedom! Wonder if I can put it on my CCW? :p

Logan5
May 28, 2004, 01:38 AM
I hover in the 70's, counting only cartridge firearms.

If you enjoyed reading about "Are # of guns REALLY so hard to believe?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!