Best gun play in a movie?

PDA

IndridCold
May 27, 2004, 05:46 AM
Whats the best shoot-em up movie, or use of guns in a movie you've ever seen. My personal choice used to be Hard Boiled w/ Cho Yun Fat until I saw a relativley low budget movie called Equilibrium. It puts the Matrix to shame.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best gun play in a movie?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1911Tuner
May 27, 2004, 06:48 AM
Any more, the action in most movies that has bullets strikin' sparks off
car doors and telephone poles leave me goin'... :rolleyes:

My special favorite scenes are the bad guy bangin' away from behind a car with lead bullets singin' and sparks flyin'...and all at once he jumps out from behind cover into the open so he can get shot.
Yeah! That's exactly what I'd do...:rolleyes:

Most realistic that I've seen lately are:
Band of Brothers
Saving Private Ryan
Thin Red Line
Windtalkers

Cheers!

Tuner

Lennyjoe
May 27, 2004, 06:56 AM
Heat;)

Marko Kloos
May 27, 2004, 07:05 AM
Way of the Gun...most realistic gunplay in a movie. IWB holsters, C&L 1911s, long guns on tac slings, proper room clearing techniques, fingers off triggers, topping off magazines, one-handed press checks, double mag carriers on belts, proper round count during shoot-outs, frequent magazine changes....

Haven't yet seen another movie that got it quite as right.

stv
May 27, 2004, 07:10 AM
Way of the Gun, by far.

wildehond
May 27, 2004, 09:21 AM
Since we are talking movies.

The one-on-one in "The Art of War". Nice up close and personal.
Almost like doning it with a knife just more adrenaline.

Just my personal preference.

wildehond

Johnny Guest
May 27, 2004, 10:46 AM
- - As I tend to do on many topics :). "Way of the Gun," for all the reasons he mentions, PLUS a one-handed reload. And, with all the bullets that had been flying immediately prior, one SERIOUS dude with a short .38 takin' care of business . . . .

That's the best, MOST REALISTIC, use of firearms in a crime/adventure movie in recent years. I truly don't consider simple high volume of fire and a bunch of jumping, flying, hopping, tai chi moves to constitute GOOD gun play.

War movies - - "Saving Private Ryan" and the TV series "Band of Brothers" are quite good. Decent ammo discipline, trigger control, aiming under pressure. Yep, some muzzles stray, but face it, you have dozens, hundreds, sometimes thousands of scared, adrenalized, young men moving in all directions, more concerned with survival than with range ettiquite. I think the fingers-off-triggers control was outstanding, given the circumstances, both as being portrayed, and by the actors playing the parts.

Best,
Johnny

hardheart
May 27, 2004, 11:27 AM
Commando:what: :evil:

gvass
May 27, 2004, 12:18 PM
Black Hawk Down

Highest round count/minute ever in a movie, isn't it?

Tamara
May 27, 2004, 12:26 PM
Way Of The Gun is head and shoulders above any other movie I've seen in the gun department.

Ktulu
May 27, 2004, 12:28 PM
Way of the Gun and/or Thief

DelayedReaction
May 27, 2004, 01:41 PM
Equilibrium for the coolness factor; the final fight scene was original and fun to watch. Obviously not the most realistic, but fun.

Michael Zeleny
May 27, 2004, 03:57 PM
Equilibrium for the coolness factor; the final fight scene was original and fun to watch. Obviously not the most realistic, but fun.Equilibrium was science fiction. As such, it was excruciatingly realistic, more so than the Hong Kong movies that inspired it. Given the postulated parameters of technology and training, its gun fu was just right.

For the best gunplay in a movie, see Once Upon a Time in the West. It's in the acting, not in the props.

http://img23.photobucket.com/albums/v68/geo175/Wallpaper%201/Wallpaper%202/onceuponsep_1.jpg

Snaky: ...looks like we're shy one horse. Harmonica: You brought two too many. (http://www.fistful-of-leone.com/films/ouatitw/quicktimes/ouatitw01.mov)

Lone Star
May 27, 2004, 04:16 PM
I sort of liked the volley fire by rank in, "Zulu"...

The officers' Mk. VI Webleys were incorrect, though, standing in for Tranter and Adams models evidently not available to the prop department.

Lone Star

Badger Arms
May 27, 2004, 07:14 PM
In no particular order:

HEAT (well, this has to be #1, but the rest are in no particular order)
Unforgiven
Band of Brothers
Thin Red Line
Glory
Road to Perdition (despite the anti-gun rhetoric)

I'm going to leave out Saving Private Ryan for a couple of reasons. First, you don't play Carlos Hathcock with an M1903A4. That one clock-tower through-the-scope scene blew the movie for me. Second, you don't detatch the scope and use it as a monoculor. Finally, where were the bullet cracks? You hear whizes and ricochets. You hear impacts. Why don't you hear the supersonic cracks of the bullets flying overhead? An MG-42 sounds like a rapid stacatto series of snaps followed by a distant echo (actually the muzzle report) which is a subdued thudding version of the cracks. It does NOT sound like it did in Saving Private Ryan. Other than that, most of the gunplay is good enough to pass in Hollywood.

Zip06
May 27, 2004, 07:22 PM
Heat
Ronin

SDAL
May 27, 2004, 09:10 PM
Firefly , I know it's a scifi western but hey I'am strange. :neener:

angrywalkindude
May 27, 2004, 09:12 PM
Rob Zombie's "House of a Thousand Corpses".

shep854
May 27, 2004, 09:22 PM
"Tears in the Sun", a Bruce Willis SEAL flick showed very good gunhandling. The big question I had, though, was where were they packing all the ammo they shot off?

IRONFIST
May 27, 2004, 09:33 PM
I like the professional gunwork in "The way of the gun", but one of the first I admired was "Thief". That movie really got me hankering for a .45, big time. There is not an excessive amount of shooting in this film and that can be as riveting as LOTS of shooting. At the end of the movie James Caan cleans out the baddies and he does a great, classic reload. Very gritty flick.

FRIENDLY
May 27, 2004, 09:41 PM
How about the Clint Eastwood movie Pale Rider where he is seen reloading and carrying multiple pistols

Ant Mod
May 27, 2004, 10:39 PM
Saving Private Ryan?

DonNikmare
May 27, 2004, 11:12 PM
Just watched "Outlaw Josey Wales" - some mighty fine gun handling and some mighty accurate spitting:D I laughed hard at the poor dog getting nailed on the head.

jptsr1
May 27, 2004, 11:15 PM
Heat, Sniper and Reservoir Dogs.

J.

ckyllo
May 27, 2004, 11:37 PM
the gunfight at the end of Scarface. and the best line from the movie "i'd like you to meet my little friend".

jptsr1
May 27, 2004, 11:39 PM
It was “Say hello to my little friend”. You are right that was a great scene.

J.

ExtremeDooty
May 27, 2004, 11:42 PM
Didn't anyone see Desperado with Antonio Banderas? The bar scenes were fine examples of precision shooting.

:what: :rolleyes: :neener:

Butch
May 28, 2004, 12:10 AM
Quigley Down Under ,
"Said I didn't have much use for one, never said I didn't know how to use it.":D

Next best," This ain't Dodge city & you ain't no Bill Hickock.":rolleyes: :D

themic
May 28, 2004, 04:09 AM
korean movie called "shiri." good fun, and made some korean history on the side.

yes, there are some daewoo pistols, and those more than any other made the BGs fly back through the air when they got hit. but in general, they reload when they need to, they aim with the sights, their fingers are where they should be, and they have a lot of fun. the special edition DVD has a few pages about the gun choices in the movie, but it's all in korean in my version.

MaceWindu
May 28, 2004, 04:29 AM
Way of the Gun
Heat
Tears of the Sun (Great scene when they went into the village)
Ronin

MaceWindu

Treylis
May 28, 2004, 06:04 AM
Way of the Gun and Heat.

Black Majik
May 28, 2004, 07:02 AM
I'm gonna agree w/ LennyJoe and the others, HEAT definitely takes the cake.

Close second for me is Black Hawk Down

Pete45
May 28, 2004, 11:40 AM
Leon... a.k.a. The Professional

Maybe not the "best" gunplay, but one of my favorites. A few things were over the top, but a good mixture of gun action, drama... good story.

- Pete45

Indy7373
May 28, 2004, 12:49 PM
I agree on Equilibrium. Had good actors, good story, and some fun gun scenes. I liked when he sliced the guys face off. That was fun.

Also Leon.

DRZinn
May 28, 2004, 01:42 PM
I gotta agree with (almost) everybody else. Way of the Gun is head and shoulders above everything else out there.

LynnMassGuy
May 28, 2004, 01:43 PM
I dug The Transporter.

goalkeeper91
May 28, 2004, 02:57 PM
Great movies. But, as far as realistic firearms use which may actually serve as a good example, check out Silence of the Lambs and Red Dragon. In Silence, Jody Foster fires six from her Smith Model 13 (right gun for an issue weapon in the FBI at that time), and actually reloads! Only mistake I saw was that the ammo was jacketed, and not the 158 grain LSWHP's. IN Red Dragon, Ed Norton's character is carrying a Smith 459, gets disarmed and actually draws a back-up to end the problem. Later, Norton is confronted by the bad guy in his home, gets his weapon and takes a kneeling position. Good stuff.

Warren
May 28, 2004, 04:53 PM
El Dorado with John Wayne, good gun handling and ethics. Great story and hardcore lefty Ed Asner's character gets whacked.

admar2
May 28, 2004, 08:03 PM
Way of the Gun
Heat
RONIN

in no particular order

Group9
May 28, 2004, 08:08 PM
My name is Nobody.
They call me Trinity.
Trinity is still my name.

If you haven't seen these Westerns starring Terrance Hill and Bud Spencer, then I know you are under thirty years old. They are anti-westerns and funny as hell. The gun play is hilarious.

IndridCold
May 28, 2004, 10:52 PM
All good good choices. Way of the gun was truly realistic, but the rest of the movie is sooooo boring and the story just sux. All the spaghetti western's are damned cool. I realize Equilibrium is basically a live action anime film, but damn it's entertaining. My personal fave scene is Black Hawk Down when those 2 Delta Snipers hit the dirt to rescue the downed pilot (name escapes me).

Ashendale
May 29, 2004, 11:27 AM
Open Range seemed pretty good too.
Ian

cane
May 29, 2004, 10:19 PM
I have always liked both the characters and the gun handling in "The Wind and The Lion". Rember when Candice Bergan holds the shotgun on Capt. Jerome and says "I've shot grouse in Scotland and quail in North Carolina?

El Guero
May 29, 2004, 10:59 PM
"Taxi Driver" isn't the best, but the ending where he alternates between 4 different pistols is one of the most gritty, bloody, and I suppose realistic gunfights I've seen in a movie. And the rest of the movie is fantastic too.

Topgun
May 30, 2004, 01:24 AM
For gun .....PLAY..... there is NOTHING that can hold the faintest candle to "My Name is Nobody."

If you rent it to check it out, do not fail to get "Evil Roy Slade" to find out that ....guns..... are necessary for .....walking.

:D :D :D

jAK-47
June 6, 2004, 03:55 PM
OK, since nobody mentioned it and I just saw it for the first time - "Boondock Saints". A review on it says that it didn't do well because it was released right after Columbine High happened. If anyone has seen this, please comment. I'd love to talk with someone who has seen the movie and get their take on it.

It's not the best gun movie I've ever seen and after the first 10 minutes I almost shut it off. BUT if you stick with it, it's DIFFERENT and there are a couple of scenes where I damn near peed my pants (and I write material for comics professionally!). Anyone from the Boston area? It takes place downtown and Southie; kinda funny seeing ALL those guns going BANG in Mao-tse-chusetts!:D :D

Willem Dafoe stars but there are three other characters that really hold their own. Anyone a Billy Connelly fan? He plays a very unique role in this one.

If you can find this movie, I'd recommend as 3.5 stars. Lots of action, shooting, blood, HUMOR - kinda like Tarantino style. Right now I'm going to see about buying this - and I almost NEVER buy movies!

Here's a review if you're interested. I don't like to read them before I see the movie. Some things ARE given away that would have compromised my enjoyment -
http://www.attrition.org/news/content/00-03-03.001.html

http://i5.ebayimg.com/02/i/01/3b/86/85_1.JPG

jAK-47

Unisaw
June 6, 2004, 05:08 PM
Way of the Gun followed by Unforgiven.

mcneill
June 6, 2004, 10:57 PM
OK, so I'm an old guy still partial to westerns. TV movie "Crossfire Trail" with Tom Selleck. The gunfight between Rafe Covington (Selleck) and Taggert and Snake was short and sweet. Selleck knows how to handle a rifle. Also had a good line "That wasn't shooting, that was killing."

Question - would a rifle slug from a Winchester Centennial Model 45-60 knock a man out of his boot as happened in the movie? I've heard of a man getting hit by a locomotive and lifted out of his shoes, but doubt if a bullet would do that. (Boots must have been waaay big.:)

Jim

B27
June 7, 2004, 12:13 AM
Extreme Prejudice.
In which Nick Nolte, of all people, handles a 1911 in a gunfight in the way it should be handled.
Somebody trained him and he paid attention.

Z_Infidel
June 7, 2004, 11:16 AM
Heat
WOTG
Ronin
Black Hawk Down, especially the scene where Shughart & Gordon defend the Super 64 crash site.
Spartan with Val Kilmer is pretty good, should be out on DVD soon.

dadman
June 7, 2004, 12:05 PM
'Open Range' with Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall. The gunfight in town towards the end of the movie.
'Quigley Down Under'.
'The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly' and the other Spaghetti Weterns. Maybe not 'realistic, but entertaining.

gyp_c2
June 7, 2004, 03:31 PM
Liked :

Quigley
WOTG
Unforgiven
Pale Rider
Once Upon A Time In The West
The recent War Movies
The "Trinity" series
Heat
The Professional
Old Steve McQueen stuff
Most Tom Selleck stuff
That movie with Bruce Willis in the prohibition years...
Untouchables

...dang...I just like stuff with GUNS!!!

omnivore75
December 13, 2006, 04:52 PM
I have to say Way of the GUN as well as so many others have. I mean it's just the best most realistic portrayal of modern day gunfighting I have seen period. I love the way they managed to capture the modern western shootout type feel by filming mostly in the desert without ever being even clost to campy or too western like. I have been telling people about it forever and I can't believe how few know it sometimes, but everyone I ever get to watch it comes back blown away. I even made a couple of friends a dvd of it for gratis just so they could see it. Obviously there are a lot of other greats too though. Heat, Unforgiven, the new Miami Vice Movie was off the hook, etc., etc.

CountGlockula
December 13, 2006, 04:54 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v164/RajunCajun/Misc/Mozambique.gif

Cosmoline
December 13, 2006, 04:58 PM
Maybe someone should Mozambique this thread! It will only stay dead if you shoot it in the head.

gunNoob
December 13, 2006, 05:10 PM
EQUILIBRIUM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SybOU2vYFRk

The Real Hawkeye
December 13, 2006, 09:06 PM
Open Range seemed pretty good too.I loved the movie, own it on DVD, and the gun fight scenes were great, but you don't get your legs swept out from under you when shot with a shotgun in the legs. Everyone shot with a shotgun in this movie gets literally blown away as if hit by a wrecking ball.

osteodoc08
December 13, 2006, 09:11 PM
In no particular order

Quigley Down Under
WOTG
Heat
Black Hawk Down
Saving Private Ryan

I take that back. I give Quigley the #1 spot and then in no particular order.

CannonFodder
December 13, 2006, 09:18 PM
I rather enjoyed the gun work in the Miami Vice film - too bad the rest was kinda tepid.

Blackfork
December 13, 2006, 09:44 PM
McQueen's gun handling in the Getaway was the best ever: 1911 and 12 ga pump. Second place is his shooting and handling in Bullitt.

Everyone else is second place.

John Wayne was a terrible gun handler, even when someone finally coached him in the True Grit Series. Usually he handles a gun like its a frying pan.

James Coburn was a good gun hand. Watch him in Cross of Iron. Audie Murphy was terrific as well. He used to dare his fellow actors Tony Curtis and Kirt Douglas to load them up with real bullets, step outside and see who was the fastest draw and the best shot. Once Murphy walked up to Curtis, pulled both guns and let him have it with blanks in the midsection. Curtis fell like dead, with his shirt and leather vest on fire. He never forgave Murphy, nor forgot.

I'll never forgive Billy Bob Thornton for his terrible flintlock technique as David Crockett in The Alamo. He wimped out and wouldn't even cheekweld because of the flash and spark. Daniel Day Lewis, on the other hand, actually had perfect blackpowder form in Last of the Mohicans. He follows through on every shot.

Duval pretty good in Lonesome Dove and other movies.

Speaking of Open Range: I'm always amazed that folks liked a movie where he and Costner rode into town and killed the legally elected civil authority, plus all other government employees, plus most prominent citizens. What are you guys...a bunch of anarchist nuts?

Always glad to see anti-gun folks make movies with American Values and good gun handling, like Hanks and Spielburg in Band of Brothers and Private Ryan. Not too shabby.

Deniro always good. I think Eastwood is so-so. He ought to be better. Pretty awful in Heartbreak Ridge.

But nobody beats McQueen. Watch how many people he holds OFF of shooting in The Getaway.

But don't rent the newer version. Baldwin and Basinger hardly know which end of a gun to hold.

VirgilCaine
December 13, 2006, 10:12 PM
Audie Murphy was terrific as well.

I should HOPE so!

"Taxi Driver" isn't the best, but the ending where he alternates between 4 different pistols is one of the most gritty, bloody, and I suppose realistic gunfights I've seen in a movie. And the rest of the movie is fantastic too.

Three. He had the Browning .25, the .38, and the .44. The convenience store owner took care of the PPK after the shooting earlier in the movie.

Collateral was good, as CountGlockula shows. I think he should have been wearing a vest, though. Five hits and he doesn't have a vest?

spartan55
December 13, 2006, 11:34 PM
Red Dawn, Red Dawn, Red Dawn, followed by Way of the Gun!!!!!!!

John-Melb
December 14, 2006, 12:00 AM
Anzacs
The part where German is dozing against the sandbags and an Aussie sneaks up and taps him on the helmet with a Webley before cocking it.

Zulu
The volley fire.

Quigley
The part right at the end where Selleck is picking up anything he can find as the Mounted Patrol approaches. Even blows the sand out of the Cylinder pawl of the Colt.

Glock22
December 14, 2006, 12:04 AM
Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, silence of the lambs when starlings shoots the serial killer, red dragon when detective grahm shoots hannibal with his backup gun and the ending scene. the wild bunch ending scene is just plain crazy, Butch Cassidy and the sundance kid the ending scene, black hawk down is great. there are so many.

Cosmoline
December 14, 2006, 12:05 AM
Once Murphy walked up to Curtis, pulled both guns and let him have it with blanks in the midsection. Curtis fell like dead, with his shirt and leather vest on fire. He never forgave Murphy, nor forgot.

I've always heard Murphy was a little "off" after all he went through. I suppose he'd have to be.

ctdonath
December 14, 2006, 01:07 AM
As visually indicated above, Collateral had classroom-perfect procedure. Mozambique, on-back, etc. all done with surgical precision.

Way Of The Gun was excellent for gun handling.

Equilibrium had spectacular, but technically improper, gunplay - spray and pray at its finest. The swordplay, however, was amazing (esp. the last scene).

repo
December 14, 2006, 01:18 AM
My Favorites:

The Wild Bunch
Heat
Way of the Gun
Open Range (I think thats what it's called? Had Costner and Duvall in it)

gunsmith
December 14, 2006, 01:31 AM
But you have to see the movie yerself, I don't wanna spoil it

Vex
December 14, 2006, 01:37 AM
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the new "Miami Vice."

rkh
December 14, 2006, 03:44 AM
Unforgiven.

The gunplay was plausible, yet awesome.

The myopic bandit's crap shot, and the sherrif's coup de grace were both classic.

busy_squirrel
December 14, 2006, 03:45 AM
Someone did mention the new movie.

I havn't seen WOTG, but for action/gunplay (emphasis on the action) I liked Last Man Standing.

Very cheesy looking, but I like some cheap movies.

bthest86
December 14, 2006, 04:09 AM
"Way of the Gun" does have its problems.

Like making a perfect straight line of bullet holes with a full-auto .308 Galil.

By the way, If Del Toro had saved the ammo in that galil instead of spraying and praying that wall, I believe they would have made it.:(

"Windtalkers"????

You mean the movie where a soldier takes out a whole fortified mountain/hill by shooting it with a bazooka?

Cosmoline
December 14, 2006, 05:14 AM
Yeah, Windtalkers is right up there with Pearl Harbor. Horrible film, inaccurate in nearly every respect.

Why all this love for Equilibrium? It seems to me Sean Bean had the right response to that pile of dren. The idiots go around slapping people with the butts of 92s. What's that supposed to do? And the nonsense about shooting blind based on statistics was one of the most absurd things I've ever heard. Gun fu? ***? The swordplay was also idiotic. They even had the "I'm cut in half but it takes me a minute to realize it before I fall apart" scenes!

For unrealistic but fun action, "Hard Boiled" has the greatest shootouts of all time. For realistic shooting, "Heat" is the best.

akodo
December 16, 2006, 01:27 PM
Way of the Gun just bugs the hell out of me. I can't tell what I am supposed to be seeing in the gun fighting parts. #1 they happened to hire an advisor for the gun scenes, and he made sure they were done displaying the highest level of proficiency regardless of the rest of the movie. #2 the excellent gun handling was supposed to be some sort of joke.

It just doesn't make sense that you got 2 loner scumbag screwballs who all of a sudden exibit excellent gun handling skills, and all of a sudden have just a ton of hardware to do it with. From the beginning scene, they obviously have no problem starting violent confrontations 'just for kicks' although that is just punching and stuff, in the middle we see them using biological means to garner cash (to use a THR approprate discription) while acting like A-holes or jokers, yet they got no problem starting violence and are apparently highly skilled so why not hold up a bank?

It's just way to much of how those guys are characterized does not explain how they become ubergunmen when the chips are down. Enough so that it distracts from the entire movie. But as said, the plotline and acting isn't very compelling.

Thing is, bad acting bad plotline, good gun scenes, I can normally just drop in the DVD or tape and fastforward to the fightscene, watch it, and be happy (ala heat, I don't need to see robert dinero's character romance the bookstore lady every time...nor the val kilmer's character wife issues but I can watch the opening holdup, then zip to the bank holdup and be happy)

bthest86
December 16, 2006, 01:51 PM
Well, the gun scenes in Way of the Gun were choreographed by an ex-Navy SEAL.

And thus they were a bid over done.

steveracer
December 16, 2006, 01:58 PM
And also the TV series "The Unit". I think it helps to have a Delta guy on hand as the technical advisor. And the writer. And the assistant director. That does help.
Seriously, WOTG was a great movie, and I sat there for like ten minutes after it ended just staring at the black screen, wondering the same things: how the F did those guys get so good, and be such total losers. It takes discipline and training to get really proficient at that sort of shooting, so why is the rest of their life dorked up?
Anyway, with the exception of a couple of post-production SNAFUs, Spartan was pretty great. The same guy (Mamet) did The Unit, and the airplane takedown was basically textboox handgunning in close quarters. (I would have brought an MP5, but I'm not Delta.)

Zen21Tao
December 16, 2006, 02:08 PM
You gotta love old 80's TV shows like A Team where bullets ricochets around a room eventually knocking down a light that falls on the bad guys head. I love these show, hundereds of rounds exchanged and no one ever actually gets shot.

For realistic type shows, I have to say A History of Violence, The Unit and 24.

I also have to add that I too LOVED Firefly and Serenity.

bthest86
December 16, 2006, 02:30 PM
Ooooo. How about the ending of Taxi Driver? Very realistic.

hockeybum
December 16, 2006, 03:07 PM
RAMBO!!!

Pilgrim
December 16, 2006, 10:17 PM
Speaking of Open Range: I'm always amazed that folks liked a movie where he and Costner rode into town and killed the legally elected civil authority, plus all other government employees, plus most prominent citizens. What are you guys...a bunch of anarchist nuts?
Looked like a recall election to me.

Pilgrim

Vonderek
December 17, 2006, 12:24 AM
http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k98/dreamcatchermedia/wildbunchcover.jpg

Speer
December 17, 2006, 12:32 AM
Heat, without a doubt. The most intense, on the edge of my seat gun fight I've ever seen. Black Hawk Down was the only other film that made me feel the bullets fly by my head.

SnWnMe
December 17, 2006, 12:37 AM
Predator forest clearing scene with the mini gun.

jtpickensj
December 17, 2006, 04:49 AM
The wild bunch, dobermann, red dawn, heat, reservoir dogs, exterme predjudice, the outlaw Joesy wales, the devils rejects and the dogs of war.

Handgun Midas
December 17, 2006, 05:15 AM
While I love The Way of the Gun and agree that the gunplay and handling are well above average,
I don't agree with the repeated sentiment that Parker and Longbaugh are highly skilled.

They do use some nice tactics, and Longbaugh's sniping was impressive,
but in every firefight they just shoot their weapons empty.

Their aim is good, but what the most impressive thing about the pair is how many mags they can carry.

Here's a youtube link to the final shootout, if any haven't seen.
Fast-foward to 3:40 to see how many rounds they throw at one guy, and the infamous bottomless magazines
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIzKOXvNppI

Cosmoline
December 17, 2006, 05:16 AM
What are you guys...a bunch of anarchist nuts?

Frankly, this country needs a little less kowtowing and a little more skull splitting.

mordrid52
December 17, 2006, 01:16 PM
Here's a youtube link to the final shootout, if any haven't seen.
Fast-foward to 3:40 to see how many rounds they throw at one guy, and the infamous bottomless magazines
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIzKOXvNppI

If you listen to the commentary, the director mentions that they went overboard in that one sequence. Although, if you actually count the shots, it's really only about two magazines apiece. There just isn't time inbetween for reloads (which is probably an editing issue as much as anything).

DocPaladin
December 17, 2006, 03:49 PM
For quality of gun handling vs quantity of shots fired, I recommend Saints and Soldiers. The actor who does most of the gun handling in real life is a hunter/gun owner; in fact, he took one of his rifles with him to the audition. I prefer it to Saving Pvt Ryan for two reasons: 1) it is largely based on actual events, and 2) the actors have great respect for the soldiers of WWII. By contrast, the actors in SPR were a bunch of wimps who kept complaining until the Marine Sergeant/Technical Adviser chewed their butts out and made them act like soldiers.
Watch S&S then go back and watch again with the Director's commentary on.

highlander 5
December 17, 2006, 03:56 PM
Open Range,Tombstone,Once Upon a Time in the West and one that I don't think I saw in the thread Silverado and Tears on the Sun. OOPS forgot QUIGLEY fun movie especially the end when Marston on the ground after being shot with that "What just happened?" look on his face PRICELESS

DocPaladin
December 17, 2006, 03:58 PM
YEAH! I can't believe I forgot Quigley. Especially since it is played by Tom Selleck.

gunny1022
December 17, 2006, 04:13 PM
Love John Wayne----There was a little known book published with the autuor a Hollywood property manager that supplied hardware to movies for 50 years. He said Wayne had special Colts, and Winchesters made that were 4/5ths size to make him look bigger. Also the reason Wayne walked funny in the westerns was the 3" lifts in his boots. They did many other strange things in movies, like Alan Ladd, who was only like 5' 5" walking on an elevated platform to be taller than the bad guys.

sinistr
December 17, 2006, 05:04 PM
way of the gun,by far.on the directers commentary he states his brother was in sf, seals if i remember correctly,and designed all the gunplay.the reloads and transitions were well done.the kidnapping was a little far fetched but still very enjoyable.spartan was great (but they used an acog reticle on the mp5 aimpoint?)heat of course,(except pumping the m3)thief, for being made in 81 had some terrific gun handling(micheal mann,heat)the proffesional was rocking despite all the little mistakes, like ported ,silenced pistols,etc

bthest86
December 17, 2006, 06:24 PM
Watched Way of the Gun again. Besides the terrible full-auto Galil scene (which made me cringe when I saw it) the 12 ga. shotguns have no recoil.

Still, its better than the vast majority of movies out there.

Smokin Gator
December 17, 2006, 06:38 PM
Well one of those 4/5 sized guns must be somewhere if that was true. Where are they? He did use Winchester 92 carbines which are pretty small as they are. 3" lifts used by John Wayne. I don't think so. There are plenty of pics of him and that much of a lift would be very obvious. Using guns that weren't around in the time frame of his movies? Guilty. Alan Ladd short. True. Yes, John Wayne did have a distinctive walk. Wonder why that untitled book is so little known?

DocPaladin
December 18, 2006, 03:43 PM
The actors in this flick trained for 8 months prior to filming. And they had to be able to load and fire while running as a test before filing began.

ATAShooter
December 18, 2006, 04:13 PM
I liked " Trinity is still my name" Don't sound familiar? Well Sprint uses the scene for a commercial... Slap the cowboy, then draw the gun. Now remember? Here's a link if you don't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4vNINn1uMk

COPATCH
December 18, 2006, 10:22 PM
1) Heat
2) King of New York
3) Miler's Crossing ("The old man is still an artist with a Thompson")
4) Way of the Gun
5) Resevoir Dogs
6) Taxi Driver

pedaldude
December 19, 2006, 03:29 AM
I watched "drop dead gorgeous" last night and the brunette had her finger off the trigger until she was on target and sighted in, it was a very surprising detail for a comedy that involved young girls when some gun movies have ridiculous mistakes in them with poor handling.

Also the gun fight in the begining of "witness" was pretty realistic in that it was relatively short and harrison ford didn't notice he got hit till well after glover got away and the fight was over.

TonyB
December 19, 2006, 01:39 PM
Besides the obvious choices of Eastwood movies and Way of the Gun..check out the gun handling in the 1st Beverly Hills cop.....Eddie Murphy used a Hi-Power,the young cop used a snubby...there's slide lock reloads,reloads w/the snubby.Eddie does a one handed reload too...as the series went on the gun stuff got dumber and sloppier though.

geim druth
December 19, 2006, 01:45 PM
Jeff Imada and Damon Caro originated alot of the stuff in Equilibrium;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tINWl0gzQWI

Flashy and fun!

My favorite though is still The Professionals with Lee Marvin, especially the scene where they run into the bandits in the canyon.

Texasred
December 19, 2006, 06:44 PM
Dawn of the Dead '78 (original)

Payback?

the Bourne series?

...but did anyone ever see my favorite called Dillinger about John Dillinger?
It's been a while but I really liked it last time I saw it.

bogie
December 19, 2006, 08:42 PM
I liked the Bug Attack in King Kong... No real reason.

Also, due to a locked thread here, talking about what a great gun movie it was, I got a copy of King of New York, with Christopher Walken... Definitely not a bad movie, and the scene in the townhouse was really wild.

As for realism and hollywood? Ain't there...

Don Lu
December 19, 2006, 08:49 PM
In no way was it realistic but desperado has the SEXIEST gunplay ever !!!!!:neener:

doubleg
December 19, 2006, 08:58 PM
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/1175/untitledyh8.th.png (http://img207.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitledyh8.png)
Say hello to my little freind.:D

chipp
December 19, 2006, 09:07 PM
One of my favorites is tombstone when Wyatt erp stands up in the middle of a huge gun fight and walks right up to Curly bill and shoots him. I believed that could happen and supposedly it did. The story I heard was 30 cowboys shooting and he walked right into the crossfire and shot curley
Man this is a great thread! I love movies. Going to have to check out way of The gun and equal librium.
I like so many even the far fetched ones. Only thing I hate is when someone shoots 1400 rounds out of a revolver like in payback.

Revolver Ocelot
December 29, 2006, 03:05 AM
the professional/taxi driver

fugi
December 29, 2006, 03:32 AM
I'll have to second Heat and Ronin as the top for some good realistic gunplay. Although Transporter with all the tracer looking rounds, Underworld for the beretta 93r and Face Off for the Stechkin are just cool. I'll throw in Desperado for his use of those rugers, also just cool.

HiroProX
December 29, 2006, 03:38 AM
Open Range
Ronin
Scarface
Way of the Gun
Assassins (The suppressed Ruger Mk.2 duel was just too fun to watch)

Innova
December 29, 2006, 02:46 PM
In no order:
Way of the Gun
Once Upon a Time in Mexico
Dog Soldiers
Heat
Enemy at the Gates
Resident Evil I & II
V For Vendetta

The Burnside Ninja
December 29, 2006, 03:17 PM
Obviously we have forgotten about Snake Pliskin in "Excape from New York"

Remember the scene where two thugs were going to outgun him, so he challenges them both to a duel, picks up a can, and says "When it hits the groud, shoot." He just tosses the can up in the air and as the goons watch for it to fall, he shoots them.

Brains... not bronze.

Tequila_Sauer
December 29, 2006, 08:08 PM
Definitely Heat. I remember hearing the crew spent an incredible amount of time making sure the whole set was mic'd correctly just so all of the acoustics were accurate when shots were fired in certain areas. Val Kilmer is so awesome in that whole scene.

One other movie that I love that I haven't seen mentioned is Terminator 2. I love when they're backing out of the garage with the T-1000 in foot pursuit and Sarah and the Model 101 are alternating, one fires rounds into the T-1000 while John is in the backseat reloading the other weapon. Plus, I love the modified Colt 1911 Arnold uses toward the end (according to Wiki it's a Coltonic, a Detonics slide on a Colt frame).

CountGlockula
December 29, 2006, 09:31 PM
Remember that scene where the father kills himself using Denzel's Glock 17?

Never NEVER place a round into the chamber and let the slide rack in; it'll damage the extractor.

k_dawg
December 29, 2006, 10:10 PM
I gotta vote for Outlaw Josey Wales. I love seeing him reloading his Walker cap-n-ball pistols

Milkmaster
December 29, 2006, 10:37 PM
I vote for "Open Range"! The last gun fight in the movie with the surround sound turned up to hear which direction the guns are firing from in the movie

AdamXBT
December 30, 2006, 05:58 PM
Tears Of The Sun
Black Hawk Down
24 Hours(Serie)
Replacement Killer:cool:

jtpickensj
October 17, 2008, 11:34 PM
McQ the Duke with a MAC-10 how awesome is that.

IRONFIST
October 17, 2008, 11:53 PM
Holy necro-post, Batman! :neener:

halfbreed808
October 18, 2008, 12:41 AM
Heat
Ronin

+1:D both excellent movies.

thejetman
October 18, 2008, 01:17 AM
The shakiest gun in the west!

Vegaslaith
October 18, 2008, 01:24 AM
1) Heat.THE best heist scene of all time. Also one of the most underrated movies.
2) Terminator 2. The scene towards the end when Arnold gets out of the pickup, climbs onto the 18-wheeler and dumps a mag into the windshield is action at its best. No over- the- top special effects needed.

Archie
October 19, 2008, 01:26 AM
Ed Harris (who also co-wrote the screenplay and directed the movie) and Viggo Mortensen.

This was a classic sort of western. It's worth seeing for the movie, by the way. There is a story and a realistic subplot or two. Characters are more than two-dimensional.

The gun work is really quite first rate.

The story is set in the early 1880s. The rifles are all either 1866 Winchesters, 1873 Winchesters, one what appears to be a Spencer carbine - something with a side hammer and not a Sharps. I think one Trapdoor Springfield. No 1892 or 1894 Winchesters; Good for them!

Handguns are varied and time correct. SAA Colts, a Schofield or other S&W top break, one revolver looks like one of the converted percussion pistols.

Shotguns are all SxS, with exposed hammers. One of the protagonists carries a 8 guage (looked more like a 10 to me, but what do I know). In certain lights, it seems to be a Damascus barreled gun - exposed hammers of course. In keeping with the time and black powder technology, it's a long barreled gun.

The only 'errors' I spotted were technical things. One fellow had a holstered single action with obvious brass grip straps. So he was either carrying a Colt Dragoon or a modern SAA copy by the shape of the grip straps and grips. The other technical error was a local wearing their hat backwards. (If one is familiar with the Mexican 'sombrero', one will spot it.)

Over all, good movie.

The shooting scenes were very believable. Mostly one handed with sidearms, no fanning or speed holsters, some misses and a reasonable amount of smoke. One of the best bits of gun work in the movie happens in the first gunfight by the protagonists. The first thing they do when the shooting stops is what? Have a drink? Bow their heads? High five each other? No. They reloaded. Right there and then standing over the bodies of the late lamenteds. I've been waiting dang near all my life to see that.

Ky Larry
October 19, 2008, 09:15 AM
The Wild Bunch and Bonnie & Clyde.

The Original Scarface with Paul Muni & George Raft gets an honorable mention.

FMJMIKE
October 19, 2008, 08:29 PM
Definitely the movie "HEAT" when DeNiro robs the bank......:eek:

RusskiTexan
October 19, 2008, 10:21 PM
Brother aka Brat -- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118767/

I would recommend it not so much for the gun handling skills as for the urban (adapt, improvise, overcome) Strategy and Tactics aspect. Besides, unlike Heat, nothing about that movie rings either false or "cartoonish". Oh, and the soundtrack rocks..

Kind of Blued
October 20, 2008, 12:33 AM
I've never understood why so many people applaud "Open Range" for it's accuracy (not necessarily in this thread).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq3zjTmVLbM

:42 seconds - Man flys backwards after being shot in the legs by a shotgun.

:52 seconds - Costner fires nine shots from his single-action revolver.

4:30 - Duvall pulls both triggers at once for some reason? Launches man ~15 feet.

Dr. Fresh
October 20, 2008, 03:05 AM
^^ It's not the accuracy so much as the intensity and amazing sound effects.

unreal45
October 20, 2008, 03:18 AM
1 Way of the gun.
2 Heat
3 Enemy at the gates

loneviking
October 20, 2008, 03:40 AM
Robert Duvall in Lonesome Dove. Indians after him, goes into a Buffalo wallow, slits his horses throat to use him for cover and then goes to work picking the Indians off.

Quigley Down Under and Cross-Fire Trail. Selleck knows what he's doing with a rifle.

Steve McQueen in Tom Horn. Steve was another guy who seemed to actually know how to shoot.

cchurchi
October 20, 2008, 03:37 PM
APPALOOSA! I didn't even know there was such a thing a an "8 guage" shot gun!

mccook8
October 20, 2008, 10:24 PM
Mugging scene from "Collateral".

usmarine0352_2005
October 20, 2008, 10:29 PM
Mugging scene from "Collateral".

"Is that my briefcase homie?"

alemonkey
October 20, 2008, 10:31 PM
Zulu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWuaSww3JnA

usmarine0352_2005
October 20, 2008, 10:31 PM
APPALOOSA! I didn't even know there was such a thing a an "8 guage" shot gun!

Everett: "That happened quick."

Cole: "Everyone can shoot."

And.........

Everett: "Are they good?"

Cole: "Their excellent."

Everett: "As good as us?"

Cole: "Can't say they ain't."

brhodes
October 20, 2008, 11:44 PM
For me, the worst was Equilibrium. Hands down. Netflix mailed it to me recently and I watched it last night. Just... terrible. They go into this whole deal about "Gun Kata", where you can become highly trained and predict where the opponents are going to be, and so you can therefore shoot him before he can and dodge his bullets. Here's the quote from the movie:

"Through analysis of thousands of recorded gunfights, the Cleric has determined that the geometric distribution of antagonists in any gun battle is a statistically-predictable element. The Gun Kata treats the gun as a total weapon, each fluid position representing a maximum kill zone, inflicting maximum damage on the maximum number of opponents, while keeping the defender clear of the statistically-traditional trajectories of return fire. By the rote mastery of this art, your firing efficiency will rise by no less than 120%. The difference of a 63% increased lethal proficiency makes the master of the Gun Katas an adversary not to be taken lightly."

Looks basically like a guy twirling around like a ballerina with pistols that never run out of ammo. It's really pretty stupid. I mean, you can just tell that that the guy who came up with that tripe doesn't shoot. And, turns out, the director invented the "martial art" in his backyard. Style over substance, and 100% lame. A dude behind some good cover a few yards away could easily take out the twirling nancy with like 3 rounds from even a reasonable carbine. How the hell could you hit anything within 5 feet, much less inflict "maximum damage", when you're doing cartwheels and handstands?

Best gun play in a movie might have to be We Were Soldiers. Toward the end, when they were being over run, Plumley just seems to have a way with the good, old 1991A1. Love the dialog, too:

"I think you oughta get yourself an M-16."

"Sir, if the time comes I need one, there'll be plenty lying on the ground."

A close second would have to be (yes, I know....) The Big Lebowski. When John Goodman is in the bowling alley pointing the .45 at Smokey, he racks it, shows trigger discipline, and then ejects the mag and live round in a safe direction before putting it in the bowling bag. Totally extraneous, didn't need to do it, could have just shoved it in the bowling bag ready to shoot his leg off... but didn't. I don't know why, but I was howling in the movie theater when I saw that scene. It's amazing to see hollywood get it right. (The safety aspects, not the pointing a pistol at your fellow bowlers. After all, it's bowling, not 'Nam. There are rules.) I suspect Goodman has shot a gun a couple times.

Kentucky-roughrider
October 21, 2008, 12:18 AM
Crossfire Trail,

Chisum

We were soldiers

John wayne (City of Gold in Spanish) I can't reminder the name of the movie. Where the Duke is teaching Mississippi to shoot.

Hard Corp Van Danm is teaching a brunch of city to be body guards.

Blue .45
October 21, 2008, 12:49 AM
As a Ruger P90 owner, I enjoyed the bar scene in Desperado, with Antonio Banderas.

Some others already mentioned,

Heat
Ronin
Open Range
The Departed
The Kingdom

lloydkristmas
October 21, 2008, 01:47 AM
Im surprised nobody has mentioned "No Country for Old Men". That one had some pretty realistic gunplay. The silenced shotgun was wierd, but has and can be done. The way he clears his 1911 after it gets dunked in the river is also pretty cool.

Also, Blood Diamond had some pretty realistic shooting scenes in it.

BHP FAN
October 21, 2008, 02:56 AM
Broken Trail
Open Range
Ride With The Devil

cat9x
October 21, 2008, 10:06 AM
THE WILD BUNCH...expecially the final shootout scene. A Maxim, 1897 Winchesters, 1911's, and plenty others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VhYR15F5mE

jtpickensj
October 28, 2008, 03:57 AM
Street Kings had some good gunplay particularly the scene with the two hoodies with the S&W M76 and M3 grease gun smgs.

mod700
October 28, 2008, 01:17 PM
Saving private ryan and shooter....love shooter, seems like they did their homework on that one.

open range is good but one part that bothered me is when the guy gets blown back like 8 feet from a shotgun blast that has already blown through the wall of a barn.

VirgilCaine
October 28, 2008, 03:40 PM
Obviously we have forgotten about Snake Pliskin in "Excape from New York"

Remember the scene where two thugs were going to outgun him, so he challenges them both to a duel, picks up a can, and says "When it hits the groud, shoot." He just tosses the can up in the air and as the goons watch for it to fall, he shoots them.

Brains... not bronze.

It was more like three or four guys, and it was Escape from L.A.

acn001
October 28, 2008, 03:53 PM
Im sure this was already mentioned, but Heat has the best, in my book, black rifle play I have seen yet.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best gun play in a movie?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!