Band of Brothers... ruined my life

PDA

twoblink
May 27, 2004, 01:35 PM
So I just finished watching "Windtalkers"... in 35 minutes..:rolleyes:

Watched it all in fast forward.. My gf fell asleep watching it..

Band of Brothers ruined my life!! :banghead: :cuss:

It was done so well that now, any other war movie I watch, looks like it came out of the wrong end of a dog... My gf watched Windtalkers, and her comment was "You never knew what a sorry piece of #@$@#!($* Windtalkers was unless you watched Band of Brothers.."

Great.. now she won't let me rent another war movie because they all suck comparitively:cuss:

When's Band of Brothers Pacific coming out??

Now she says "Rent it only if it's as good or better than Band of Brothers.." :uhoh: :eek: :banghead:

If you enjoyed reading about "Band of Brothers... ruined my life" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
PATH
May 27, 2004, 01:43 PM
"We Were Soldiers Once and Young"

"Blackhawk Down"

I thought both were fairly well done! "Saving Private Ryan" was also pretty good. Try them with your gf.

Ktulu
May 27, 2004, 01:46 PM
You're going to extremes there twoblink. Windtalkers = Absolutely horrible and Band of Brothers = Arguably the best thing ever to grace a television.

mpthole
May 27, 2004, 01:47 PM
What Path said.

Gus Dddysgrl
May 27, 2004, 01:47 PM
LOVED BLACK HAWK DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think it was very well done. I have yet to see Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan, but heard I would like them since I liked Black Hawk Down. Haven't seen Windtalkers, but will soon when I can get Jon to sit down and watch it with me.

You have a good girl if she likes movies like that. Is one who also likes chic flicks or just good war movies?

HankB
May 27, 2004, 01:54 PM
I made a videotape having both "We Were Soldiers" and "Blackhawk Down" on it.

I loaned it to a buddy of mine whose GF absolutely insisted he watch some really, really bad "Chick Flicks" with her, and agreed that he could pick the next video . . . perfect! :D

And though it wasn't as historically accurate as some people think, "Enemy at the Gates" wasn't too bad, either.

twoblink
May 27, 2004, 01:55 PM
I would have asked for a refund had I actually paid to rent Windtalkers..

Let's see...

Me with my Thompson, I'll stand up in a drunken stooper... and stumble around, manage to kill about 500 japs in the process, and btw, ny Navajo windtalker can't shoot someone, but I kill his best friend and now he doesn't take orders during a war and I'm ok with that...:rolleyes: :barf:

Ain't my gf cool?? her email address is "TacticalJanie".. tell me I didn't steal Skunk's dream woman...:neener:

Don't bother watching Windtalkers, you'll waste an hour and a half (or in my case, 35 minutes) of your life and you'll never get it back.. Try something less torturous... like pulling your fingernails out..

I've seen Black Hawk Down (just one hour right?)
I've seen When we were Soldiers.. Mel was pretty good.
Haven't seen Saving Private Ryan yet... on my hitlist.

WhiteKnight
May 27, 2004, 02:02 PM
"Saving Private Ryan" was also pretty good

That is the understatement of the year.

Soap
May 27, 2004, 02:15 PM
BoB was indeed great, but Windtalkers was just a horrible excuse for a movie.

bukijin
May 27, 2004, 02:28 PM
While we're talking war movies, I'd like to recommend 'Gallipoli' by Peter Weir (1981) to those who haven't seen it. Watched it again tonight - especially appeals to those of us who love Lee Enfields.

Daniel T
May 27, 2004, 02:32 PM
I tried to get past the first combat scene in Windtalkers. Absolute crap. Turned it off and regretted that I had actually bought it. Maybe it was only $9.99, but it was still a waste of cash.

Oleg Volk
May 27, 2004, 02:33 PM
Dark Blue World -- great aerial combat scenes, good plot
Memphis Belle -- weaker but watchable
Cross of Iron -- different from the book but equally good

Pearl Harbor -- horrid in every way
When Bugles Fade -- also pretty bad

Lagadelphia
May 27, 2004, 02:45 PM
Was Cross of Iron an Eastern Front movie? I know there was movie set on the Eastern Front that was really good.

zaijian
May 27, 2004, 02:50 PM
There's a BoB Pacific coming out??

twoblink
May 27, 2004, 03:38 PM
Pearl Harbor.. finished that movie in 40 minutes as well :rolleyes:

Anything with Ben Afflick.. just say no..

Sean Cloherty
May 27, 2004, 03:51 PM
Was "We Were Soldiers . . ." really that good? I watched it once and was unimpressed. Loved BoB. Guess I will re-watch and see if I keep the DVD or trade it for "The Patriot"

sendec
May 27, 2004, 03:56 PM
Apocalypse Now Redux

Ktulu
May 27, 2004, 03:59 PM
To add to Oleg's list:

Good War Movies:

Lawrence of Arabia
Platoon
The Bridge on the River Kwai
Apocalypse Now
The Great Escape
Patton
Full Metal Jacket
The Deer Hunter
Glory

Ok War Movies:

The Pianist
From Here to Eternity
The Patriot
The English Patient

Bad War Movies:

Battle of the Bulge
The Thin Red Line
Gods and Generals

The Worst War Movies:

Windtalkers
U571

War Movies I want to see (steer me in the right direction here guys):

Paths of Glory
Cross of Iron
Das Boot
Breaker Morant

EDIT: Oleg, I think it's "When Trumpets Fade"

Lone Star
May 27, 2004, 04:10 PM
"Battle of Britain" is VERY good, and has an absolutely stellar cast. They're all British or German (okay, Christopher Plummer is Canadian, I think), so those who can't enjoy movies without strong American casting may be uneasy with it. The rest will love it, especially those who like WW II aircraft. See if you can spot the scenes when later Spitfires were substituted for Mk. I and II models. I distinctly recall the double radiators under the wings of a Mk. IX as it rolled and another was flown by Plummer's character as he trained a new pilot to watch for him coming from out of the sun. The HE-111's and Bf-109's were obtained from the Spanish AF and have Merlin engines in lieu of the original German powerplants.

"Zulu" is good, and runs often on cable TV. Ditto, "A Bridge Too Far" and, "Patton".

I agree that, "We Were Soldiers" is excellent, and the matter was handled respectfully, even reverently at times, especially for Hollywood. I cried as they ran the scenes of the portion of the Wall with the names of the actual dead of the 7th Cavalry (Airmobile) who were portrayed in the film. The credits roll to music entirely dignified and appropriate: the West Point Glee Club singing, "In the Mansions of the Lord" and excerpts from the old Scots ballad, "Sgt. Randall".

If you get the DVD with the option to hear the director discuss the film, watch it. It is obviously the testimony of a worthy man, impressed with the solemnity and patriotism inherent in his task.

"Band of Brothers", however, may indeed be the best war film yet.

Lone Star

Oleg Volk
May 27, 2004, 04:13 PM
Breaker Morant is great. So is Lawrence of Arabia, if you don't mind Turks armed with 1919 Brownings. Cross of Iron is Eastern front. The book is worth reading, bu tthe movie is excellent.

BigG
May 27, 2004, 04:20 PM
Ktulu: I have about 99% of those movies reviewed on my website. Here is my review of CROSS OF IRON (http://www.epinions.com/content_94603021956)

Once you get there, type in the name of another film in the search box and you will see the review for that. Cross of Iron is super, imho. HTH

Abenaki
May 27, 2004, 04:33 PM
I think the part that I hated most on Windtalkers, is when they steal the
radio from the Japanes! Thats when I started beating my head on the
coffee table.

Abenaki

Kaxter
May 27, 2004, 04:43 PM
Band of Brothers Pacific link:
http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,12189,00.html

I love BoB, I need to buy it, I keep renting it.

45Hoop
May 27, 2004, 04:47 PM
OMG why did you have to mention Gods and Generals AND Windtalkers in the same thread:barf: :barf:

Andrew P
May 27, 2004, 05:15 PM
Big Red One with Lee Marvin, Mark Hammil

Preacherman
May 27, 2004, 05:25 PM
I second Lone Star's recommendation of "Battle Of Britain" as one of the finest air combat movies ever made. It can never be made again, either - almost all of the Heinkel 111's and Messerschmitt 109's used in the making of the film have been scrapped, and many of the Spitfires no longer exist, either.

To make the film, the producers gathered together the Spanish Air Force's about-to-be-retired fleet of German-sourced aircraft, and assembled virtually all of the privately-owned British WW2 warbirds within several thousand miles of England. At one time, they had so many aircraft in their fleet that IIRC, they were credited with being among the top ten air forces in the world - at least by number of planes! :D

Great acting, superb photography, and historically faithful - what's not to like? And right now, at my local Wal-Mart, the DVD is on a $8.88 special! I've bought three copies, one for me (to replace my tape) and two as gifts. Might go back and get a couple more...

Another truly great war movie, IMHO, is "Gettysburg". I absolutely love it, and will forgive Ted Turner a lot just for financing this film. What great performances! - and the historical accuracy was, again, outstanding.

dog3
May 27, 2004, 05:30 PM
Favorite War Flicks
In no particular order.
But Memorial Day appropriate ones first.

Galipoli
Breaker Morant
Blackhawk Down
We Were Soldiers
Cross of Iron

--

BTW, I saw Blackhawk Down in the theatre, having had comrades who were
in the 10th Mountain during that morning, I was really quite pumped.

I thought I was going to vomit at least 3 times in the theatre,
I was shaken pretty badly by the film, and was in a very very
strange mood when I left in the afternoon.

I stood around in the parking lot, watching the kids coming out of the
movie, all pumped up, ducking in and around the cars, chasing each
other around, doing the play war thing.

Adults standing around chattering at high speed, everyone in a really
great mood.

I felt they had all seen a different movie altogether. No, they had enjoyed
it, and I hadn't.

It scared me.

If you haven't seen it, it's a must see. Most of you have I'm sure, probably often enough
to know every line.

I tried to introduce it my better half, but she asked me honestly, and I told
her honestly. She loves our country, and has a deep weakness for those
who serve. She really wants to have seen the movie, but doesn't
want to actually see it.

I understand.

rritter
May 27, 2004, 06:44 PM
Another to add to the good list is Das Boot.

Zip06
May 27, 2004, 07:34 PM
Both Blackhawk Down and We were Soldiers are much better as books. Personally I did not think Mel Gibson was right for his part in the movie. They should have rounded up an actor as strong as Sam Elliott. BHD, while a great action movie, itemizes big time problems and then forges a heroic movie. I mean, a general who used the exact same plan of attack 5 or 6 times never deviating; no commo with other units such as 10th MTN DIV or the Pakistani's; NCO's not checking their chalks gear; allowing horrible deviation from the mission loadout; competing chains-of-command on the same mission and finally, Rangers having more confidence in Delta personnel than their own.

Autolite
May 27, 2004, 07:54 PM
Just change your perspective. Don't think of it as 'Windtalkers' being a bad movie. Just rationalize it by acknowledging that Nicholas Cage is a bad actor ... :D

COK
May 27, 2004, 08:14 PM
Don't pass by" 12 O'Clock High" if you have a chance to see it.

Shanghai McCoy
May 27, 2004, 08:17 PM
I'll have to add a vote for Gettysburg too.The wife and I saw it at a theater in Tulsa and the effect was impressive.Intermission was right after the battle of Little Round Top and folks just stayed seated after the lights came up.I have the tape but seeing it on the big screen was an experiance.

ThreadKiller
May 27, 2004, 08:24 PM
Here's another vote for "12 O'Clock High". Superb!

Tim

Sodbuster
May 27, 2004, 08:56 PM
Windtalkers would have been a good movie if it had been about the Navajo code talkers. Too bad it was more concerned with the character of a Hollywood "star," and an unsympathetic one at that.

PAOLO721
May 27, 2004, 09:12 PM
by twoblink.........Band of Brothers ruined my life!!

Band of Brothers is great but have faith and if you haven't seen them already try some of these.

A Bridge Too Far

Casualties of War

The Dirty Dozen

Hamburger Hill

Schindler's List

Platoon

The Great Escape

Lawrence of Arabia

The Last of the Mohicans

Red Dawn

Tora! Tora! Tora!

Zulu

WhiteKnight
May 27, 2004, 09:40 PM
Personally I thought Gods and Generals and Apocalypse Now were two of the worst movies, let alone war movies, that I've ever seen in my life.

IRONFIST
May 27, 2004, 09:53 PM
War movies I dig...

Most of the ones previously mentioned and also...

Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence

Task Force Z

The Guns of Navarone

Soldier of Orange

Stripes:D

Heaven knows, Mr. Aliison

Hell is for Heroes

The Great Escape

The Bridge at Remagen

Kelly's Heroes

The Boys from Company C

And many more that I can't remember by name right now.

one45auto
May 27, 2004, 09:57 PM
Try "Tears of the Sun" with Bruce Willis, "Dogs of War" with Christopher Walken, or - if you can find a copy, "Dark of the Sun" starring Rod Taylor - it's an awesome mercenary flick! (I keep waiting for it to come out on DVD so I can snap up a copy)

M2 Carbine
May 27, 2004, 10:13 PM
Looks like I'm the only one that liked Windtalkers.:)

It isn't a Saving Private Ryan or Band of Brothers but it's entertainment.

Besides it's worth watching just for the Thompsons.

What I hate is the way helicopters are used in movies.
It drives me up the wall when they have a helicopter chase a car at 10 feet.

It's like a dog chasing a car, what the hell is he going to do if he catches it.:D

OK, who saw the screwed up American flag in Windtalkers.

Hint, the stars were up side down.

Where do you get a flag with the stars inverted, unless you have it made on purpose.
No, nobody in Hollywood would do that to the flag.

The Crazy Gobbo
May 27, 2004, 10:22 PM
Come and See

I haven't had the chance to see it, but my friends on the other side of the pond rave about it.

From what I remember it is about partisans on the Eastern Front, something like the movie Stalingrad. (another good foreign film!)
A very "gritty" and "dirty" movie, looks at the horrors of war in addition to the loud BANGS and BOOMS, one guy even put off a vacation to Germany. :uhoh:

DRZinn
May 27, 2004, 10:28 PM
Are we talking about the miniseries Band of Brothers, or was there a film as well?

Steve in PA
May 28, 2004, 12:47 AM
Lots og good movies mentioned, but I can't believe no one mentioned "The Lost Battalion", an excellent WWI movie.

stevelyn
May 28, 2004, 01:09 AM
The real history of the Navajo code talkers is one of unsung and dismissed heroism. These men were never given the honor they deserved. The movie Windtalkers didn't do them much justice, because as one poster put it the producers were too concerned with the Hollywood version.:banghead:

Another vote for 'Zulu'.

BHPshooter
May 28, 2004, 01:50 AM
Well, I saw Windtalkers... I didn't hate it, but it wasn't great either. But then, I haven't seen Band of Brothers or Blackhawk Down yet.

Really, it's a story that is worth telling (I'm referring to Windtalkers) that was mangled horribly by John Woo. Who let him loose on a serious movie? :rolleyes: Please!

Anybody see Hart's War? It had it's holes, but still decent entertainment.

Wes

sitkablacktail
May 28, 2004, 02:30 AM
The lost patrol was pretty good

TerryBob
May 28, 2004, 08:41 AM
Ok, I'll chime in. I agree with most of what has been said and will add one more.

Flying Leather necks

I had it taped a while back and it got taped over :banghead:

TerryBob

twoblink
May 28, 2004, 01:06 PM
Some people mentioned "Way of the gun"??

Comments on that one?

Are we talking about the miniseries Band of Brothers, or was there a film as well?
Yes.

Well, I saw Windtalkers... I didn't hate it, but it wasn't great either. But then, I haven't seen Band of Brothers or Blackhawk Down yet.

It's like this:

Windtalkers = Pinto
Blackhawk Down = BMW
Band of Brothers = Porsche

I actually know John Woo, when I see him next time, I'll tell him I give Windtalkers a :barf: .

I'm sure the Navajo Indians were brave, but John Woo made them look like a bunch of chickens in the beginning who couldn't follow orders in the end, wild and uncontrolled...

Last of the Mohicans was great. Das Boot, and Tora Tora Tora also. Lawerance of Arabia also. And Bridge over the River Quai (sp??)

priv8ter
May 28, 2004, 01:24 PM
I have nothing bad to say about Saving Private Ryan, or We Were Soldiers...both great movies. Dig Sam Elliot as the Sergeant Major.

My wife is a Nicolas Cage fan, and dragged me to save Windtalkers. She was especially excited to see it because the release had been delayed like 6 months.

What a mistake.

In the realm of older, maybe overlooked War Movies, I can second some other folks recommendations:

Loved the Big Red One. First war movie I ever saw...the scene in the concentration camp gives me goosebumps every time.

A liked A Bridge to Far...haven't seen it for while.

As a Submariner, Das Boot has a scary place in my heart. Makes you realize how brave those guys where during WWII(while we see the Germans as the 'Bad Guys' both them and the American Submariners were some brave individuals to put up with those conditions.)

greg

Johnpl
May 28, 2004, 01:39 PM
"The Bridges at Toko-Ri" starring William Holden...one of my favorites.

BHPshooter
May 28, 2004, 02:22 PM
Has anybody ever seen one called, "Who Dares Wins?" Obviously, it's about the British SAS, but I just wondered how it is.

Wes

AZ Jeff
May 28, 2004, 03:11 PM
Das Boot is among the BEST war movies ever made. By the time the movie is over, you actually feel sympathy for the German "Grauwolfen".

I always remember the opening credits of the movie, where they mention that 3 out of 4 German submariners never came home from the war.

Another good movie to see is "The Rough Riders", a TNT film about Teddy Roosevelt and his boys.

The best scene in the whole movie is when some rich eastern Ivy-League members of Teddy's troop recieve a GIFT from their father to take into battle. The gift arrives on the back of a wagon, covered by a tarp. They pull back the tarp to show a wooden crate marked "Colt's Patent Firearms".

Inside the crate are several M1895 "Potato Digger" machine guns. :what:

I wish we could take delivery (as civilians) nowadays of new in-the-crate machine guns!

MrKandiyohi
May 28, 2004, 03:15 PM
I saw Wind Talkers before BoB, and it sucked then. You didn't need to see BoB first to decide that. I was looking forward to an accurate protrayal of the Navaho, but instead got some crappy movie where Cage over-emoted while gasoline cans were blown up to show artillery landing.

Cross of Iron wasn't very good, imho. Another Peckinpah violence-filled extravaganza.

X-out
May 28, 2004, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the recommendations on BoB. A couple of good ones that appear to have been overlooked are Stalag 17 and Kelley's Heroes. But then, those are comedies. ;-)

By the way, both an old boss of mine and a coworker were Marines on Guadalcanal. You should have heard how pissed off they were to hear that The Thin Red Line was about an Army unit!

Pebcac
May 28, 2004, 04:19 PM
A couple of suggestions of movies from another perspective - "Enemy at the Gates" and "K-19." They are interesting looks at the mentality of the Soviet military before and after WWII.

There are tons of other good suggestions in this thread, too.

Radix
May 28, 2004, 04:19 PM
I am really surprised that no one mentioned "The Lighthorsemen" as a movie to watch.

roscoe
May 28, 2004, 04:23 PM
Come and See

That movie is a bit rough, since much of it is about German Army death squads killing Belarusian peasants. I guess it is a war movie, but there isn't a whole lot of combat - just slaughter.

hjrocket
May 28, 2004, 06:32 PM
From "The Forgotten War" PORK CHOP HILL (been there, done that)
From "The big one" BATTLEGROUND

Sleeping Dog
May 28, 2004, 06:49 PM
We Were Soldiers - I liked it, but it only covered one of the two battles in the book - the "easy" one, at that.

I hope the second part is made into a movie, it'd make a great two-dvd set. Unless it stars Ben Affleck.

Regards

Ktulu
May 28, 2004, 11:05 PM
Thanks BigG!

OMG why did you have to mention Gods and Generals AND Windtalkers in the same thread:barf: :barf:

45Hoop, if that don't make you sick, this will... Navy Seals. LOL!

Best part of the movie was when they were being debriefed.

Some dude: Did you engage hostiles?

God (.50 BMG sniper): I vaporized hostiles!

entropy
May 29, 2004, 04:14 AM
BoB: Tops!
Saving Pvt. Ryan: Awsome!
Blackhawk Down: Wow!
Das Boot: Best sub movie by far!
The Big Red One : Hamill emptying his Garand at the German hiding in the oven evokes the horror of war.
Cross of Iron: "Come with me and I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow!"
Enemy at the Gates: Historically off, but great nonetheless!
All Quiet on the Western Front: (Not the Richard Thomas one!)
Gallipoli
84 Charlie Mopic: The first time I watched it, I came in towards the end. I thought it was an
actual documentary, that's how good it is!
Apocalypse Now: THE VN movie. THE war movie.
FMJ: "This is my rifle, there are many like it.....:evil: "
Hamburger Hill: A relative was there, the movie was dead on, he said.
Porkchop hill: "this is the AK-47......it has a distinctive sound. Remember it.":evil:
Starship Troopers: There as so many layers to this movie, and the book is even better!
The Odd Angry Shot : The Aussie view of VN.
Zulu
Breaker Morant
Bridge over the River Kwai
Kelly's Heroes: I don't know who's funnier, Carrol O'Connor as the Brigadier, or Gavin McLeod as the hippie tank mechanic. Oh wait, Don Rickles at the Supply Sgt.!
Although it's not a 'war' movie, I like 'The Final Option' The SAS does AT the best.

sitkablacktail
May 29, 2004, 05:45 AM
I've got to chime in one more time Blackhawk Down has got to be the best, I bought my daughter a enternment system for christmas and the only thing I wanted out of the deal was to see BLackhawk Down on it, a tear came to my eye, I like Saving Privet Ryan but my dad was on Ohma beach on D Day and it hits to close to home, everything he told me about that day was so close to what he said, it was scary. He was a Medic and that seen with the Medic, just makes me feel for him, he died before it came out.

May 29, 2004, 08:55 AM
Best Vietmnam war movie try "Go Tell The Spartans", with Burt Lancaster in one of his best roles. It's what Green Beret could have been.
"Lighthorseman" also very good WWI based on actual event - the last recorded cavalry charge.
"Kelly's Heros" was written to be a serious war movie but turned into one the few really good anti-war movies.

M2 Carbine
May 29, 2004, 10:56 AM
I forgot there were so many good war movies.
I haven't seen a lot of them.

I got FMJ for relatives to watch.

I told them it was 50% hollywood BS but it was still the best movie I'de ever seen about the USMC.

"Battle Cry" (mid 50's) was what started me thinking about going in the USMC.

fix
May 29, 2004, 11:08 AM
BHD, while a great action movie, itemizes big time problems and then forges a heroic movie. I mean, a general who used the exact same plan of attack 5 or 6 times never deviating; no commo with other units such as 10th MTN DIV or the Pakistani's; NCO's not checking their chalks gear; allowing horrible deviation from the mission loadout; competing chains-of-command on the same mission and finally, Rangers having more confidence in Delta personnel than their own.

Um, Zip...you do realize that BHD (while not 100% accurate) was not a work of fiction, right? That's pretty much what happened. Maybe I misunderstood you, but it seemed that you were complaining about these things being unrealistic. If you were complaining that the movie marginalized these errors, then disregard.

M2 Carbine
May 29, 2004, 11:10 AM
I hated "Top Gun".

It could have been a really good movie but Tom Cruise's overacting sucked.

Then, at the beginning, the idea that a Navy pilot is going to "turn in his wings" because he got scared of a Russian fighter is silly.

I saw a lot of guys drop out of flight school because of "fear of flight" but not later.

Then the idea that the Navy would let such a screwed up pilot (Cruise) back in a plane is ridiculous.

Colt46
May 30, 2004, 03:33 AM
Didn't like "We were soldiers" either. Viet Nam looked suspiciously like the Central California Coastal Range and Mel Gibson looked like he was asleep throughout the flick. Only saw part of "Enemy at the gates", and wasn't impressed.
Really liked "Blackhawk down", "Cross of Iron", and "Das Boot".
I've heard that Das Boot was origionally a German TV miniseries. Has anybody run across this? If it was l'd like to get hands on a copy.

Zone Five
May 30, 2004, 12:11 PM
I am suprised that no one has mentioned The Blue Max. Great flying flick.

Topgun was an embarrassment. The studio remarked that "we are not making a documentary" when objections to the silly dialogue were voiced. Nothing in the movie is remotely real, but the public love it.

"Maverick's in a flat spin heading out to sea..."

Good Grief.

Z5

twoblink
May 30, 2004, 12:57 PM
"Top Gun" made me say "I'm so glad Tom Cruise isn't defending our country, if he were, we'd all be answering to the Taliban right now."

"Pearl Harbor" made me say "Good thing Ben Afflick isn't defending our country, if he were, we'd all be speaking Japanese right now."

"Windtalkers" made me say "Good thing Nick Cage isn't defending our country, if he were, we'd all be DEAD..."

Tamara
May 30, 2004, 01:50 PM
If you're feeling excessively cheerful, watch Stalingrad, from the same team that made Das Boot. It'll cure that good mood. :uhoh:

PATH
May 30, 2004, 11:51 PM
I saw a movie about the "Lost Battalion" on the History Channel and it was a pretty good WW I flick. I also like the original "All Quiet on the Western Front" with Lou Ayres.

BowStreetRunner
May 31, 2004, 01:28 AM
i dont think anyone has mentioned Anzio, a good one, IMO, w/ robert mitchum
the Lighthorsemen is excellant as well, as 0007 mentioned
BSR

G1FAL
May 31, 2004, 01:50 AM
How is it that we're now 3 pages into a war movie thread, and Midway hasnt been mentioned yet? :confused:

I liked both Blackhawk Down and We Were Soldiers, have both on DVD. Saw BHD in the theater, not long after getting out of the Corps. I agree with the other poster, I walked out feeling strange, and totally silent. My wife said we probably should have waited a little longer to see it, I only mumbled my reply. That situation was a total goat-rope from the word GO.

I thought the Thin Red Line sucked. Bad. About as bad as everyone else here hates Windtalkers, which also pretty much sucked. I sat thru TRL for far too long, never did finish watching it. Something was going on in the other room, I dont even remember what, that drew my attention, and I hit the stop button on the VCR and that was that.

I still have yet to buy BoB on DVD. I WILL get it though, and if the Pacific version is as good as the one thats already out, I'll buy that too.

alamo
May 31, 2004, 02:08 AM
Good observations twoblink, particularly "Pearl Harbor". Waited till it was on video because of the bad things I heard about it. It was pathetic - should be titled "Gen X does WWII". Alec Baldwin as Jimmy Doolittle? What a disgrace. Interesting that nobody smoked in the entire movie and this was set on a military base in 1941?

The worst part was the scene in the middle of the Japanese attack where Ben Affleck and the other fella fly their P-40s (with Zeros on their tails) towards each other and break away suddenly, causing the Zeros to crash into each other. And the planes manuvering wildly between buildings & hangers ala the attack on the Death Star in "Star Wars". I kept expecting to see R2D2 in the back of Affleck's P-40.

entropy
May 31, 2004, 02:34 AM
"I expecting to see R2D2 in the back of Affleck's P-40." http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=838279
ROFLMAO!
"R-2, the port .30 cal. is jammed; can you fix it? And give me a holo layout of these Zeros so I know where to hit them!":D

twoblink
May 31, 2004, 08:12 AM
I have got to have the coolest gf in the world...

She loved Band of Brothers, hates Ben Afflick..

"Use the force Ben.."

Nobody warned me.. The movie had Ben Afflick AND Alec Baldwin... :barf:

I can't find "Way of the Gun" here in Taiwan :banghead: :cuss:

PATH
May 31, 2004, 02:53 PM
It is my understanding that you can't outmaneuver a Zero whilst your mount is a P-40. Your dive speed is much better and so you want to dive through a formation of Zeros along with your wing man blazing the 50s.

From what I have read these are the tactics of Chennault's Flying Tigers.

Mr. Ben (Affleck) Lopez is R2D2. Isn't he? A little hint for the sequel:

Never dog fight a Zero cause he'll turn inside you and hit you with .20 mm cannon fire which will spoil your day.

dadman
May 31, 2004, 05:43 PM
Which 'Band of Brothers' episode and/or scene affected you the most or was a favorite?
For me:
The taking of the flower from the dead German paratrooperand the 'simple' American who ended up with it and his end.
Could 'feel' the dampness and frustration of the post-Bulge rivertown prisoner snatch.
The two Bulge episodes with the Officer who would dissapear and who lost it during the attack on the German held village. Felt like reaching into the TV and choking the crap out of him.
Arnheim episode: American attack on the town, then retreat. Felt the buildup to a victory, sensed a change when the British armor got whacked by the German tank, then punch to the chest retreat/defeat.
Foxholes and bombardment in the forest: Misery of being cold. Trapped and nowhere to go with shrapnel and splinters flying about. Soldier crawling towards foxhole with buddies inside encouriging him on and a shell landing in hole.
etc., etc., etc.
Watching back-to-back episodes on 'History Channel' got to the emotions.

Int'l Military Antiques, www.ima-usa.com , has two movies for sale.
'The Winter War', 1989. Finland vs. Russia, 1939-40.
'Come and See', 1985. Russian partisans vs. SS, 1942.
Haven't seen either. Heard good things about 'Winter War'.

entropy
June 1, 2004, 09:12 AM
"Never dog fight a Zero cause he'll turn inside you and hit you with .20 mm cannon fire which will spoil your day."

Unless you're a Tomcat pilot from the USS Enterprise in The Final Countdown . :barf:

If you enjoyed reading about "Band of Brothers... ruined my life" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!