Gun Lube for Locks?

PDA

Sam Adams
May 27, 2004, 02:33 PM
I have a lock at home that is very sticky - and I damned near couldn't get my key out of it yesterday. It obviously needs to be lubed, but the question is "With what?"

I know that I could go out and buy some 3-in-1 or some graphite, but do I really need to buy when I've go a couple of quarts of FP-10 at home already?

What would be the best method of lubrication? I was thinking of just dipping the key into the FP-10 and inserting it into the lock, then turning it a couple of times to spread the lube, and possibly repeating a few times if needed.

Finally, if any of you have done something similar, what gun lube is superior, Break-Free CLP or FP-10? Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for any responses.

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Lube for Locks?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Calhoun
May 27, 2004, 02:50 PM
If it's a door lock, better stick to the graphite. If it's a padlock use graphite in the key hole, but it's OK to use something else on the hasp (WD40, Triflow, gun oil, etc.). I'm not a locksmith (but I play one on TV) and this has always worked for me.

twoblink
May 27, 2004, 03:44 PM
I run around the house with the Breakfree CLP.. and nothing squeeks...

Here in Taiwan, I can't get CLP, and so I use Transmission oil... A quart will last you a lifetime...

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun Lube for Locks?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!