I got a new gun under warranty but no yellow form?

PDA

TheOtherOne
May 28, 2004, 01:51 AM
Since Smith & Wesson did this, I'm sure it is probably kosher, but I wanted to ask just in case.

I sent in a Walther P22 for repairs a couple weeks ago and yesterday they sent a package back. Instead of even attempting to fix the one I sent in, they just sent me a brand new gun.

I use to think anytime you got a new gun with a new serial number you had to put all your information on the 4473, but I guess not if it is straight from the manufacturer.

If you enjoyed reading about "I got a new gun under warranty but no yellow form?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Graystar
May 28, 2004, 02:24 AM
Are you sure it had a new serial number?

TheOtherOne
May 28, 2004, 02:30 AM
Are you sure it had a new serial number?Yep, 100% positive. I have a record of what the serial number was on the original one.

AK103K
May 28, 2004, 06:14 AM
I had the same thing happen with Smith and a 940. The first gun that came back was the same model, different gun, same serial number. I could tell because the lettering was different. After the second gun took a dump, I sent it back and said I didnt want it back in 9mm, give me one in .38. They sent me a 640 in .38 with no additional paperwork ever done. It also came right to my house and my anti-gun neighbor signed for it and told me later she had a package for me. If she only knew. :)

Highland Ranger
May 28, 2004, 07:24 AM
If you traded a gun privately would there be a yellow form?

I don't think so . . . . not sure if you are allowed to do that across state lines but that's probably the root of it. You traded your original gun for a new one with Smith.

c_yeager
May 28, 2004, 09:11 AM
Well, the only people required to keep a record of serial numbers is the manufacture anyways, so assuming they ammended their records it should be fine.

This of course assumes that you don't have any kind of state registration.

Standing Wolf
May 28, 2004, 07:12 PM
Count your blessings! The less paper attached to a firearm, the better.

CB900F
May 28, 2004, 07:32 PM
TheOtherOne;

What Standing Wolf said. Why are you worried? Do you like having big brother looking over your shoulder? Tell 'em you sold it in a garage sale. So far, at least in the states I've lived in, there's no paperwork on in-state private transfer. And the more of that, the better.

900F

Amish_Bill
May 28, 2004, 08:18 PM
It is perfectly alright for a manufacturer to "repair" your firearm by the expedient of replacing it with another new, like item. (unless you're talking about 'assault rifles' or machineguns.)

They are not providing you with a firearm that you did not already have. A warranty replacement is the same as still having the original of an item. Now, if you sent them a revolver and they sent you back two of them, well, then there's a transfer of ownership....

For AWs, the original manufacturer can 'remanufacture' the item. The non-serviceable original is destroyed and the serial # (and sometimes markings) are applied to a new one.

If you enjoyed reading about "I got a new gun under warranty but no yellow form?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!