Board suggestion

PDA

fjolnirsson
May 28, 2004, 06:22 AM
Just a thought. Probably one that has been proposed and shot down repeatedly.
Many times, the first thread from a new member will be"Just got my ccw. Should I carry iwb/owb/sob/ankle/pocket/undermyhat/whatever."
Often, members would like to hear reviews of a particular holster before making a purchase.
I know some of our senior members have seen this type of thread before, and are tired of them.
How about a "Carry Issues" board?
People could post questions, or relate stories about their first carry experience. Folks could ask about holsters before buying, etc.
The new guys would feel less intimidated about asking(I think) on a board specifically for this purpose.
And the guys who have been there,done that wouldn't have to even see the new threads if'n they didn't want to.
Maybe with a description like this:
A place to discuss any carry questions you might have, either concealed carry or open.

As I said, just a thought.
Byron

If you enjoyed reading about "Board suggestion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sm
May 28, 2004, 07:50 AM
Personally I like the "less is more" appearance of current format.

THR and TFL formats are clean , crisp and easy to navigate. Some forums are what I call "busy" or fall into the "line extension" trap.

What I like / suggest is when a person signs up they are made aware of the search function,and the Library. I like the Links in the Library to "March's Revolver Checkout", or "Image matters" for instance.

I also like when there is a "sticky" for aforementioned at the top of Appropriate forum. Other forums use the "consoldated idea" such "The 101 threads" in Shotguns, and the 1911 Clinic threads.

fjolnirsson,

I understand what /where you are coming from, I respect the idea. I just feel if folks were made aware of resources at registration and perhaps a reminder from time to time with indices and links in Library we would be fine. I feel we have all the subjects covered nicely in current format.

I like the less is more - keep it simple...for ME anyway.
One less something to moderate as well.

fjolnirsson
May 28, 2004, 08:22 AM
Hmm, excellent points. I especially like the sticky idea.

tyme
May 28, 2004, 11:03 AM
Well, the "Library" and "Rules of Conduct" links used to be even more obscure than they are now.

Any ideas on how to make the library link more visible without adding a floated thread or announcement?

sm
May 28, 2004, 08:29 PM
As far as making them more visible? NO I don't and NO I wouldn't change them. I like things the way they are. I figure being brought up in threads like this from time to time helps. :)

I haven't looked at the registration page lately, are the Library and ROC highlighted / hyperlinked? IIRC they are.

Floats and sticky's for current running threads are fine. When these play out, un- float/sticky.

I do like the consolidated idea like the 1911 Clinic and others the respective mods do - simply because upon doing a search many sources are right at the fingertips. 1911, Firearm Recalls ...etc.

I think sometimes we get accustomed to seeing things and are not really paying attention. We humans are always seeking a easier /softer way. :)

tyme, thanks for all you do and efforts...now go finish that book and let folks go play around on this well organized forum, and learn some stuff on their own :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Board suggestion" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!