PDA

36fan
May 28, 2004, 03:29 PM
Pizza deliveryman won't be charged

By Vic Ryckaert
vic.Ryckaert@indystar.com
May 28, 2004
from: http://www.indystar.com/articles/5/150455-2405-102.html

A pizza deliveryman who killed an armed man who was trying to rob him will not face criminal charges, the Marion County Prosecutor's office announced today.

"It's a clear case of self-defense," Deputy Prosecutor Barb Crawford said. "He did what the law allows him to do to protect himself."

Ronald B. Honeycutt, 38, Carmel, shot Jerome Brown-Dancler, 20, 9500 block of East 39th Place, more than a dozen times on May 17.

The evidence shows that Brown-Dancler pointed a 9mm handgun at Honeycutt, who had had just finished making a delivery about 11 p.m. in the 3600 block of Long Wharf Drive on the Far Eastside.

Brown-Dancler's gun was loaded with 14 rounds, but had no bullet in the chamber, Crawford said. Honeycutt produced his own 9mm and fired until it was empty.

After the shooting, Honeycutt told The Star he was just getting into his van when Brown-Dancler appeared to go for a gun.

Honeycutt kept shooting after the would-be robber hit the ground, evidence shows. He took the man's gun, fearing it might be stolen if it was left with the body. He got in his van, drove to the Pizza Hut Restaurant where he worked and told his manager to call police, Crawford said.

"This was late at night. This was a high-crime area," Crawford said. "He left because he wasn't sure whether or not Brown-Dancler had any friends with him. As it turns out, he did indeed have friends with him. They left when they heard shots fired."

Police found both guns in Honeycutt's van.

Honeycutt says he fired 15 shots, but Crawford said the medical evidence cannot determine how many times Brown-Dancler was hit. The evidence shows only that he was shot more than 10 but less than 15 times, Crawford said.

Honeycutt said he was fired from his job at Pizza Hut because he had violated the firm's policy against carrying a gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pizza deliveryman won't be charged" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
R.H. Lee
May 28, 2004, 03:34 PM
:)

Warren
May 28, 2004, 03:50 PM
Still though he should have STFU. I'm glad he will not be charged and I'm impressed with his hit ratio.

Pizza Hut can ****.

Reno
May 28, 2004, 03:58 PM
Good that he isn't facing charges. Hopefully he won't have to face a civil suit.

UnknownSailor
May 28, 2004, 03:58 PM
I drove for Pizza Hut for 8 months back when they first started their delivery service in 1990. Company policy even then was no weapons for self defense. Just give the perp what they want.

Were I to take a part time job with them again, I would not stop carrying. Concealed means concealed. My life is more valuable than the job, TYVM.

buy guns
May 28, 2004, 04:04 PM
hooray!

Smoke
May 28, 2004, 04:14 PM
The evidence shows only that he was shot more than 10 but less than 15 times, Crawford said.

I thought forensics was better than that.:what:

Must have had several rounds go in the same hole, maybe lots of times.

Good shooting.

Smoke

Sawdust
May 28, 2004, 04:20 PM
An excellent example of lawfully dispensing a little chlorine into the gene pool.

Yeaaaaahhhhhhhhhh Baby.

Sawdust

ny32182
May 28, 2004, 04:28 PM
Glad there was a happy ending so far... although it sounds like the pizza boy's life may have been saved not so much by his shooting skills, but by our criminal genius not knowing to chamber a round.

And, Pizza Hut can stick that policy somewhere, for sure.

Linux&Gun Guy
May 28, 2004, 04:35 PM
:p I feel great as I sent a letter to PizzaHut. Of course one letter dosn't do much but its a drop in the bucket that was chucked on them:D

El Tejon
May 28, 2004, 04:44 PM
There's a reason they call this the "whose ear" state!:cool:

While given a potential Marion County jury pool and voting rolls, this is not unexpected. (My father called me twice on this, once asking how to volunteer for jury service--I THINK he was kidding). However, it is much welcome news.

Waitone
May 28, 2004, 05:00 PM
Honeycutt said he was fired from his job at Pizza Hut because he had violated the firm's policy against carrying a gun. I just wish the poor slob could hold Pizza Hut neglegent for not providing a safe working environment. Slip on a grape and a dozen alphabet agences will decend upon the employer. Yet when an employee has to break company policy to protect his life, the employer walks off scott free.

Doesn't seem right to me.

Standing Wolf
May 28, 2004, 07:07 PM
Brown-Dancler's gun was loaded with 14 rounds, but had no bullet in the chamber, Crawford said.

Bet he won't make that dumb mistake again!

Honeycutt said he was fired from his job at Pizza Hut because he had violated the firm's policy against carrying a gun.

Yeah, but he's alive. Even if Pizza Hut's fare were edible, I'd never do business with the company again.

chas_martel
May 28, 2004, 07:25 PM
I say a boycott of Pizza Hut is in order.

We just started tonight. Had a Jr High party where we would have normally used
Pizza Hut. 8 pizza where just delivered by another local Pizza delivery
service.

I plan to send Pizza Hut a receipt and tell them why they just lost me as a customer.

I know some will whine telling me boycotts are no good but, folks, this is the only
way we can influence corp's.

sumpnz
May 28, 2004, 08:32 PM
I guess the delivery guy must have read the tag line from one our THR members (don't remember who) that read "Screw double tap, I'm going for slidelock!"

Browns Fan
May 28, 2004, 08:51 PM
Quote:
I plan to send Pizza Hut a receipt and tell them why they just lost me as a customer.

This is a great idea... you may want to take it a step further by sending a copy of the receipt and a copy of this article to your new pizza place, with an explanation that they better not pull the same crap or you will go some where else or make your own pizza.

twoblink
May 28, 2004, 09:36 PM
I thought forensics was better than that

If the shots were fired while the body was on the floor, the ricochet from the ground might mean the body had bullets pass through it more than once from the same bullet. So they will have to determine entry and exits and angles... (Too much CSI :D )

Good for him.

I'm ok with being alive enough to get fired...

Pizza Hut, just lost another customer :barf:

Papa John's, WAY better anyways.

Carlos
May 28, 2004, 09:55 PM
Good news.

Pizza Hut can kiss my ....

It's worth taking my time to write them a letter.

Kustom Pizza, Portland, Oregon, RULES!!!!! I could walk in there with drop leg holstered 45 and an AK, and they'd say "Cool."

:D

Standing Wolf
May 28, 2004, 10:52 PM
I know some will whine telling me boycotts are no good but, folks, this is the only way we can influence corp's.

Boycotts and E-mail message can be very effective. It sometimes takes mere dozens, not even thousands.

skeetlover
May 29, 2004, 12:12 AM
Awesome, I'm happy for the guy who defended himself I'm just a little worried about myself!

I'm only 18 and I just got a phone call tonight and became and employee of Mountain Mikes Pizza and I will be doing delivery. Since I am only 18 I will not be packing but, I will have my kershaw blackout and pepper spray on me whether company policy agrees or not. Safety is more important. Anyway good thing he defended himself I'm proud of him and wish him the best of luck. Bye for now guys.

Mark

ExtremeDooty
May 29, 2004, 01:10 AM
Pizza Hut, just lost another customer.
Papa John's, WAY better anyways.

I couldn't agree more, I love that garlic sauce.

Just took a few minutes and sent Pizza Hut a negative email. I didn't like their pizza much anyway.

thumbtack
May 29, 2004, 02:12 AM
It is a shame he got fired for defending his life and removing a bad guy from society.

I really liked Pizza Hut pizza, but I can go elsewhere.

ny32182
May 29, 2004, 04:23 AM
Pizza Hut is owned by PEPSI, so you can start boycotting all PEPSI owned stuff as well... PH, taco bell, and MANY, MANY other brand names that I can't recall at the moment...

WonderNine
May 29, 2004, 04:28 AM
I never liked Pizza Hut anyways. Somebody forgot to tell them to put pizza sauce on their pizzas ten years ago.

Plus they're overpriced!!!!

I ate the buffet lunch at a Pizza Hut with a couple friends about 6 years ago when I was working Tech Support for Gateway 2000. To bad they couldn't keep the buffet filled. Gee it's not like the restaurant was full or anything. :rolleyes:

Gee, when can I get another piece of pizza???? I've been here for twenty minutes and I ate a half slice, but I got my sugar water refilled twice now. Oh yes the pizza person brought out another pizza......it's only been fifteen minutes...Oh yes...on more piece for me....

TechBrute
May 29, 2004, 09:08 AM
Honeycutt says he fired 15 shots, but Crawford said the medical evidence cannot determine how many times Brown-Dancler was hit. The evidence shows only that he was shot more than 10 but less than 15 times, Crawford said. LMAO! Here's to all the people that say that you can't expect to hit anything under pressure.:neener:

Honeycutt said he was fired from his job at Pizza Hut because he had violated the firm's policy against carrying a gun. Gee, I hope he can live with the loss of his crappy $2 an hour job that puts wear and tear on his car. I wonder if Pizza Hut would have held his job while he was in a coma for multiple gunshot wounds?:rolleyes:

WilderBill
May 29, 2004, 09:19 AM
Glad to hear that common sense trumped company policy.
I'd guess that emptying his magazine might be 'more force than is necessary to stop the threat'. I'd also guess that if I truley were in fear of losing my life, I's do the same thing.

It reminds me of a story I heard about a guy that was on trial for assault.
He was at a resturant with his family when some *$$ started making fun of his retarded daughter, so he decked the guy.
After hearing the details the judge says "OK, I understand why you hit him and knocked him to the floor, but why did you kick him when he was down?"
The defendant calmly replied "Because I did want him to get back up".

Mr. Mysterious
May 29, 2004, 11:57 AM
The guy probably isn't out of the clear yet...I'm sure there is a wrongful death lawyer out there bending the criminals families' ear.

Oh yeah...I ordered Papa Johns last night.

Mulliga
May 29, 2004, 12:57 PM
Are other pizza delivery companies anti-gun? Makes no sense to boycott one and not the others.

I usually find local pizza parlors to deliver better product anyway.

kwelz
May 29, 2004, 01:18 PM
Umm Guys.. Papa Johns has an even worse policy. No firearms, no knives, no fireworks can even be in a car used for Delivery. Plus around here they perform random inspections of drivers cars before and after they do their deliveries.

Matthew Courtney
May 29, 2004, 01:31 PM
I was fired by Dominos Pizza in 1991 after using a firearm to defend some of my minority employees from skinheads who were upset that I had taken down a "David Duke for Governor" sign that was blocking my copy sign. The police ruled my actions justifiable.

Dominos searches driver's cars and possession of any weapon results in immediate termination.

13xx
May 29, 2004, 01:43 PM
I am a manager of pizza hut and I agree with you and think our policy sucks but pizza hut is practicing the age old tradition of CYA. if we allowed any of our driver to carry (which I personally believe in concealed is concealed and what you don’t tell me I don’t know about) we would have drivers (most of which are younger and more than half are too young to own handguns anyway) more than likely pulling guns or worse shooting someone that was not a threat. My store delivers to a couple high crime areas and I would not and do not blame any of my drivers who carry, and I in fact sometime break our weapons policy myself. If a driver pulls a gun or shoots someone who didn’t deserve it pizza hut would have a huge lawsuit that they would not win on their hands. we also warn all of our drivers that we go to those areas before they even take a delivery, we also tell all of them to go buy a c-cell mag-light because yet they cant have weapons our policy and training manuals state for them to carry flashlights. Also most drivers are oblivious to their surroundings, if you notice people hanging around or no lights on or really tall grass/old newspapers stuff like that, don’t get out of your car. And if your gonna carry I support you, better to get fired than to get dead.

we dont search our drivers cars for any reason (but we can if we want too)

And boycotting does nothing. One region (about 50 stores on average) does over 30million in sales a quarter and takes in about 15 million in profit. pizza hut alone has about 20 regions

also pizza hut is not owed by Pepsi anymore we were bought out in 1998 by tricon global restaurant which a couple years ago turned in to YUM brands which owns pizza hut taco bell KFC long johns and A&W rootbeer.

And we have garlic sauce now too

Waitone
May 29, 2004, 02:03 PM
Just one more piece of evidence that we as a society are in greater fear of tort terrorists than we are of garden variety thugs, goons and terrorists.

UnknownSailor
May 29, 2004, 03:41 PM
Regarding the money aspect of driving:

The pay was actually quite respectable, at the time. $4.55 an hour, plus $.50 a pizza, plus tips. I worked weekends, and normally came home with ~$20 a night.

And I carried a 3-D cell maglight, for spotting those hard to see street addresses. ;)

13xx
May 30, 2004, 02:49 AM
we pay ours 5.25 to start (some are up to 6-7 due to be there forever) plus .50 per run plus their tips, most make around 50 a night and up to 100 a night durings the busy season.

pizza driving is a great job if your willing to abuse your car and accept the risks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Pizza deliveryman won't be charged" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!