1911 sick - needs help!

PDA

TheEgg
May 28, 2004, 03:46 PM
New SW1911 -- with the following problem.

1. First 108 rounds went flawlessly.

2. Next round and all after that exhibited this problem -- trigger would not reset and grip safety would remain forward. Can cycle slide by hand and fire next shot -- slide would then cycle normally, next cartridge feeds, but trigger would not reset for next shot, and grip safety would remain in depressed position.

I am definitely a gunsmithing idiot, but this sounds to me like something related to the FP saftey mechanism (This pistol releases the FP safety through movement of the grip saftey, I understand).

Any suggestions?

PS, this is an early gun, but it has had the recall related to the FP safety performed on it.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 sick - needs help!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Smoke
May 28, 2004, 04:11 PM
TUNER!

1911Tuner
May 28, 2004, 04:44 PM
Smoke yelled:

TUNER!

Yew rang?

Howdy,

Sounds like a little interference between the top of the trigger bow and the underside of the grip safety lug. They're stoppin' one another from resetting.

You'll have to remove the grip safety and maybe the trigger to fix it.
I'd rather take a little from two areas than all from one...so file a couple of strokes fron the underside of the grip safety lug and put the gun back together and test it. Detail-strip it and take a little off the top of the
triggre stirrup...break the sharp edge lightly with a stone...Put it back together and test it. Slow and patient-like, until they can get past each other.

Luck!

Tuner

TheEgg
May 28, 2004, 04:51 PM
Hey, something that I think that I can actually do!!!! Great!

I will try this over the weekend. Thanks for the pointer, Tuner!

1911Tuner
May 28, 2004, 05:02 PM
One other thing...It's lilely that there could be a burr or sharp edge in the
corner on the underside of the lug, or ont he corner at the top of the trigger stirrup...or both. They can snag and hang up. Check for that and address it first before you do any filing. That might be all that you need to do. The step under the GS lug is a trigger overtravel stop, if that helps any.
Look for burrs or sharp edges there...

Luck!

Tuner

TheEgg
May 28, 2004, 05:09 PM
I will check that before filing -- thanks!

1911Tuner
May 28, 2004, 05:20 PM
Go get'em, lad...Go get'em!

Standin' by...

Tuner

Dave Sample
May 30, 2004, 09:31 PM
They recalled over 4700 of these guns. Maybe it should go back to Smith & Wesson?

1911Tuner
May 30, 2004, 10:13 PM
FORTY......SEVEN.....HUNDRED?????:what:

Last I heard, it was about 1200 of'em.

Maybe Smith & Wesson should stick to what they know best...With the
firing pin on the HAMMER, please!:rolleyes:

TheEgg
June 1, 2004, 10:08 AM
TUNER:

Reporting back after the holiday.

It turned out that there were burrs, just like you described. I smoothed that out, and that solved the trigger reset problem.

HOWEVER -- I then started to get light primer strikes. I did not see how eliminating the burr could of caused this. But, being the gunsmithing idiot that I am, I was reluctant to mess around further. I handed it to my gunsmith, who fixed it in short order -- that stupid firing pin safety (that ties in to the grip safety?) was messed up now. He worked on it for about 20 minutes, smoothed some edges and angles, and that now it seems to work fine.

HOWEVER -- then I started to get rounds nosediving into the feed ramp (brand new Wilson mags by the way). I usually think of this as weak magazine springs, but with brand new mags? Have not had time to address this issue yet.

BUT, it will be a lot of rounds through this gun before I rely on it for any kind of self defense (which is what I bought it for -- I carry a blued Colt a lot, but the finish is getting really beat from carrying, and I thought I would get a stainless steel 1911 to replace it.)

As for the recall -- this was one of the pistols recalled for a fix to the firing pin safety. And yes, I heard that it was the first 4700 off the line that were recalled, and I think that is right as mine was in the recall and is in the 4500 range. Apparently, whatever S&W did was not enough.

Thanks for help folks!

1911Tuner
June 1, 2004, 10:21 AM
It turned out that there were burrs, just like you described. I smoothed that out, and that solved the trigger reset problem.

mmm hmmm...mmm hmmm Good!

I then started to get light primer strikes.

Dang:cuss: Schwartz system! The Army Ordnance tried ta TELL'em
that thing was no good over 50 years ago... :rolleyes:

HOWEVER -- then I started to get rounds nosediving into the feed ramp (brand new Wilson mags by the way). I usually think of this as weak magazine springs, but with brand new mags? Have not had time to address this issue yet.

Yep...usually weak springs, especially with the 8-rounders...but it can also be the follower angle not bein' to spec. Wilson 47Ds ain't always the cat's meow for all pistols.

Send it back to Smith & Wesson for a tweak on that link rod that operates off the grip safety...It's about .010 inch too short, prolly...

Luck!

Tuner

TheEgg
June 1, 2004, 10:49 AM
Well, I can always go back to my old stand-by Colt -- it always works -- or my Wilson while I sort these things out. But I have had enough 'issues' with the 1 round extra mags, both in the full size and the officers size that I think I will take your advice and go back to the standard capacity.

As for sending it back to S&W, I will wait until I see if my gunsmith's fix works (it seems to have). He is the one who sold me this thing and he has said that if I have any more problems he will just replace it with whatever pistol I want (can you say classic Colt Series 70 anyone?). He owns the store too, and is a good guy to work with.

Lesson learned -- In the 1911 world stick to the tried and true design. New 'stuff' is just more stuff to go wrong.

1911Tuner
June 1, 2004, 11:08 AM
The Egg said...wisely, I might add:

New 'stuff' is just more stuff to go wrong.

Tuner's Dictum:

"The more gadgets ya gots...the more Murphy it gets.":p
(Yep. That applies to Colt Series 80 too...but it works way way better'n that other thing.)

Cheers all!

Tuner

If you enjoyed reading about "1911 sick - needs help!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!