Guncraft in Knoxville, TN

PDA

mfree
May 28, 2004, 06:57 PM
Just wondering who shoots here.... I know there are quite a few firearms enthusiasts from Knoxville on this board and others, and I often wonder if by some extension I know the guy in the next lane.

I'm the guy with the CZ75 Compact (and now walther p22 and CZ52) who shoots the pentuple targets and index cards with blue dots drawn on them :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Guncraft in Knoxville, TN" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Marko Kloos
May 28, 2004, 09:12 PM
There are quote a few shooters from the greater Knoxville area on this board. I work at another shop in town, Craig's Firearm Supply over on Chapman Highway.

Since Tamara moved to a lakeside crib with private backyard range on Fort Loudon Lake, I haven't spent any money for shooting hours at Guncraft, though. :)

mfree
May 28, 2004, 09:36 PM
Ah! A backyard range, that would be like a wet dream :) I'd get the urge to plink, walk out on my back porch, and plink :)

I'm still learning where all the shops are... It's wierd, I grew up here but until I actually bought my first and started looking for more I had *no* idea where all the shops were. I got my CZ75 from the atomic pawn in maryville and the 52 and P22 from Guns&More.

Are there any outdoor ranges around? I'm beginning to feel that I have enough pistols and it's time to teach myself how to handle a rifle... maybe a 91/30. I'm a big fan of cheap yet good :)

EDIT: Also odd about not knowing about the gun shops.... there's one, Ensley's, that's no more than 7 miles from my house. Talk about being in the dark :)

Bergeron
May 29, 2004, 11:58 AM
I've got work in Knoxville from early June through August. Did the same thing last year, and got the 3 month trial membership at Guncraft. Worked out quite well, I believe that I will do the same thing again.

Tamara
May 29, 2004, 01:41 PM
There's the TWRA outdoor range on Rifle Range Road. It's coincidentally near where I work. (Randy's Guns out in Fountain City.)

mfree
May 29, 2004, 01:57 PM
I'm going to have to check that out some day. Might behoove me to get some kind of long arm to use ther first though.

Wow, any excuse for a new gun, right? :)

lesjones
May 29, 2004, 02:07 PM
I shoot at Guncraft enough that I got an annual membership. It helps that it's about five minutes from where I work.

I like the people there and the range is pretty good. They're a professional bunch and careful about gun safety. I took my CCW class there and thought Bob Weiss did an excellent job.

I've shot at the TWRA center on Rifle Range Road and liked it. I'd join if I didn't live and work on the other side of town.

mfree
May 29, 2004, 02:27 PM
I'm reading up on the TWRA center, seems like a good place. Is it like any other range, show up, pay admission, take the safety orientation, and have fun?

On another note, the error that was keeping me broke and at home this weekend has been fixed, I might end up at guncraft today or tomorrow :) Need to go pick up some 7.62x25 first, I'd hate having a gun with me with no ammo to "test" it with :D

Fly320s
May 29, 2004, 02:38 PM
For an outdoor range I can recommend Oak Ridge Sportsmen's Association (ORSA). It's a member's only range ($100/yr), but has numerous matches that are open to the public.

More info: orsa.nxs.net

Other gun store: Frontier Firearms just off of I40, west of Knoxville. Lots of guns to choose from; don't let the location and look of the building put you off.

If you enjoyed reading about "Guncraft in Knoxville, TN" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!