Help me help him pick one.

PDA

ZekeLuvs1911
May 29, 2004, 02:55 AM
Hey gang,
I need some input. I got a friend who shoots occassionally and he wants to get another handgun. He has a old .357 Mk1 Desert Eagle and he has problems with it and he wants something more "practical". As to why he got a DE, that is a whole nother story. :) Anyway, he wants something for no more than say $600.00 that is reliable, cheap to shoot and easy to handle. He mainly target shoots but he also looks at home defense. I thought that maybe a Beretta 92 FS in 9mm may be a good choice. What do you all think? Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me help him pick one." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Black Majik
May 29, 2004, 08:41 AM
9mm:

- CZ 75B
- Glock 19
- XD9
- Used Sig Sauer (Look at www.Sigforum.com classified section. Good deals on there)
- Kahr P9/T9

.45 ACP:
- SA Milspec 1911
- Colt NRM Government "slightly used/ LNIB"
- Used Sig P220
- CZ 97

Croyance
May 29, 2004, 10:28 PM
Used Browning HiPower - a classic, good design, points well.
The Feg or FM knockoffs - not as well finished, but they work well.
CZ-75 - larger grip that the HiPower with palm swells. Ponts well, has a DA/SA trigger.
Used Sig or H&K - quality designs.
Beretta 92 FS - Only draw back to me is a large grip.

Majic
May 30, 2004, 12:41 AM
Take him to the nearest gunstore and let him choose. After all who is going to be the one shooting it?

entropy
May 30, 2004, 12:56 AM
Some sage advice, Majic! We all have biases for gun X or against gun y for whatever reasons, but in the end, he will be the one shooting it.

You certainly can be of help to him, however, by standing ready to answer the myriad questions he will most certainly have. Answer them honestly and truthfully, and to the best of your ability, without interjecting you personal biases. Your best gun for you may be all wrong for him. If possible, go to a shop with a range he can rent different guns to try, and let him go to town!

:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me help him pick one." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!