Gun-shy mom scared of fish-shaped water pistol

PDA

twency
May 31, 2004, 12:03 AM
From Foxnews.com

An Arkansas school teacher who gave her students a fish-shaped water gun is under fire from a parent who says she disapproves of weapons in her house, reports_KPOM-TV in Ft. Smith, Ark.

The teacher at an elementary school in Rogers, Ark., gave her students the squirter following a lesson about animals in the rain forest. School officials say she feels horrible about the entire situation and didn't mean to offend anyone.

The parent who complained, Karen Young, doesn't want fish-shaped toy guns in her house because she accidentally shot an ex-boyfriend one time when the gun she was beating him with went off.

Fox News - Tongue Tied (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,121332,00.html)

The important lesson to be learrned? Don't beat your ex with a pistol, because it might just magically go off on its own, and then you'll be paranoid about your child playing with fish-shaped water squirters.

-twency

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun-shy mom scared of fish-shaped water pistol" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
papercut
May 31, 2004, 12:07 AM
she accidentally shot an ex-boyfriend one time when the gun she was beating him with went off

:confused: :scrutiny:

Evil_Ed
May 31, 2004, 12:10 AM
:what: :confused: :scrutiny: :banghead:

Speechless.......positively speechless.......

cslinger
May 31, 2004, 12:13 AM
I don't see what the problem is. It's not like she beat him to death with a trout.

Chris :D

P95Carry
May 31, 2004, 12:17 AM
:banghead: :banghead: - really need a stronger smilie than this one ....... sheesh!:rolleyes:

PATH
May 31, 2004, 12:20 AM
It is just past belief!:rolleyes: :D Stop the planet I want to get off!:banghead: You just cannot make this stuff up! Geez!

pax
May 31, 2004, 12:20 AM
Y'know the thing that's most wrong with that story?

The teacher apologized.

Stop, and think of that ...

pax

You know how dumb the average guy is? Well, by definition, half of them are even dumber than that. -- J.R. 'Bob' Dobbs

cslinger
May 31, 2004, 12:25 AM
You know how dumb the average guy is? Well, by definition, half of them are even dumber than that. -- J.R. 'Bob' Dobbs

Hey I represent that and deserve to be apologized to. :scrutiny:

ExtremeDooty
May 31, 2004, 12:26 AM
You're right...there really isn't a smilie that applies to this thread.

The parent who complained, Karen Young, doesn't want fish-shaped toy guns in her house because she accidentally shot an ex-boyfriend one time when the gun she was beating him with went off.

I wish I had something witty to say, but I can't top this.

Standing Wolf
May 31, 2004, 12:29 AM
Satire, right? Uh... right?

CrudeGT
May 31, 2004, 12:38 AM
I'm totaly speechless. I want to shake her hand and congratulate her on being the stupidest human being, and then kick her off the planet.

BigBlueEyedDevil
May 31, 2004, 12:44 AM
Just like shootin' fish in a barrel...or something like that!

SodiumBenzoate
May 31, 2004, 12:50 AM
Oh my god, that quote is priceless.

Preacherman
May 31, 2004, 01:53 AM
she accidentally shot an ex-boyfriend one time when the gun she was beating him with went off.
WELL, now... what can we learn from this?

Rule 3 now reads: "Never beat someone with your gun with your finger on the trigger".

Rule 4 is now: "Be sure of your target when hitting AND when shooting with your gun!"

And I suppose the fish-shaped water-pistol is intended to remind her that there's something fishy about guns... or that one man's meat is another man's poisson... or that she needs to observe the of-fish-ial rules of gun safety...

:neener: :p :D

Warren
May 31, 2004, 02:03 AM
Fish shaped squirt guns don't wet people----people wet people.

Lord Grey Boots
May 31, 2004, 02:38 AM
Hmm. I recall a news article a few years ago about a man that was beaten to death with a frozen salmon.

I guess any fish shaped items should be offensive as well.

joab
May 31, 2004, 02:42 AM
The parent who complained, Karen Young, doesn't toy guns in her house because she accidentally shot an ex-boyfriend one time when the gun she was beating him with went off.

This mat be my sig line on another forum.Talk about priceless

ZeroX
May 31, 2004, 02:45 AM
That woman just gave me a brain tumor.

Moparmike
May 31, 2004, 02:52 AM
I would like to remind everyone that not all people from Arkansas are Moonbats like this one. I am utterly speechless though, and second the brain tumor.:scrutiny:

pax
May 31, 2004, 03:01 AM
Hey I represent that ...
Oooh, I'm sorry.

:D

pax

Being Politically Correct means always having to say you're sorry. -- Charles Osgood

cslinger
May 31, 2004, 03:16 AM
Touche' Pax. That is why we love you.

The Slingers

Croyance
May 31, 2004, 03:41 AM
See, most people would have learned another lesson. Keep a blackjack handy so you can beat people without endangering their lives. What kind of example is she trying to set for her kid? What about his possible future as a mob enforcer?
Seriously, we need to have tests for people to pass before they have kids.

BluesBear
May 31, 2004, 05:04 AM
To quite a members sig line,

Why is it that the only thing stupid people seem to be able to do really well is breed?

Treylis
May 31, 2004, 07:08 AM
I'm so glad we'll be able to buy assault swordfish with bayo lugs, collapsable stocks, flash suppressors AND "fish-tol" grips when the AWB sunsets in September. ;-)

twoblink
May 31, 2004, 08:25 AM
A durian is considered a deadly weapon in Thailand, and assault with a Durian (in case you don't know what a durian is, it's a spikey-skinned fruit) holds the same penalty as assault with a knife..

So a plastic fish is now going to join that huh?

Yo Preacherman!!!

When you go visit some peeps in prison, beware the plastic squirting fish!! :uhoh: :uhoh: :scrutiny:

Treylis
May 31, 2004, 08:27 AM
A durian is considered a deadly weapon in Thailand, and assault with a Durian (in case you don't know what a durian is, it's a spikey-skinned fruit) holds the same penalty as assault with a knife..

Oh, boy. I most definitely know what a durian is. Those things are absolutely repugnant. I can get assault with a durian, yep. ;-)

Shovelhead
May 31, 2004, 10:53 AM

Beam me up Scotty,....there's no intelligent life on this planet............:what: :banghead:

Dr.Who
May 31, 2004, 11:10 AM
Not to offend anyone...

However, I have this mental picture of the person living in a trailer on the edge of La La Land, blonde, very few teeth, the kids are 1/2 clothed, and waiting for her government check....

It just proves that there are mental faculties in the single digits...:banghead:

priv8ter
May 31, 2004, 11:18 AM
I followed some of the links back to the Arkansas news channel that reported the story. Here is some more quotes:

Young says she has strict guidelines at home and she wants her children to understand that guns are not toys. Young says two of her brothers were shot in domestic disputes, her uncle committed suicide with a gun and she accidentally shot her ex boyfriend when the gun she hit him with went off.

Sigh

And her I was hoping it was all some big joke.

good stuff, good stuff.

greg

Nightfall
May 31, 2004, 01:54 PM
Stop the planet I want to get off!
I'm with PATH. Drop me off at the nearest inhabitable planet, I want to start over. :banghead:

Mr. Mysterious
May 31, 2004, 02:14 PM
Guns are not toys, squirt guns in the shape of fish are.

Malone LaVeigh
May 31, 2004, 04:52 PM
My neighbor that raised a big stink about my son shooting his pellet rifle in our back yard told me she was afraid of guns because her brother shot her with a bb gun when she was a kid. I wish these mental cases would stop making the rest of us pay for their incapacities...

Black Majik
May 31, 2004, 05:10 PM
I wish there was a contact info to the mother in that article so I can give her my $0.02 :rolleyes:

Man.... if she read my email of what I thought of her.......... :fire:

.... absolutely unbelievable.... :banghead:

jhisaac1
May 31, 2004, 05:43 PM
frozen salmon Hmmmm. One of those high capacity assault fish.

I'm so glad we'll be able to buy assault swordfish with bayo lugs, collapsable stocks, flash suppressors AND "fish-tol" grips when the AWB sunsets in September. Shouldn't that be "when the AFB sunsets"

MICHAEL T
May 31, 2004, 05:53 PM
First Clinton and now this. Maybe we should only have 49 states. Ak is the place were a guy has what looks to be a 30ft sailboat in the middle of a pond next to interstate. Buba and Bubarellas . I have a idea Lets move some people from Tx there that way can raise IQ of both states. Just kidding:neener:

MeekandMild
May 31, 2004, 06:54 PM
What gets me is the head-weiner-dog-in-charge APOLOGISED! :scrutiny:

My neighbor that raised a big stink Well I hope you took the time to give her the phone numbers of a couple of good shrinks before you went back to teaching your kid to shoot his pellet gun.

JohnKSa
May 31, 2004, 07:06 PM
I've been saying this for awhile.

These idiots judge everyone else by assuming that everyone else would do that they would in a given situation.

In this case, the woman doesn't want guns around because she believes that others would treat them as carelessly as she would, causing a dangerous situation.

I claim that when it gets right down to it, that liberal friend at the office who doesn't like guns is afraid of them because he/she thinks that others might be just like they are. I.e. They would lose control and kill or hurt someone/they would be careless with them, etc., etc.

MAURICE
May 31, 2004, 07:11 PM
If this had to come out of anywhere in Arkansas, I would expect it to come from Fayetteville, or maybe Little Rock. Not Rogers. I am trying to come up with some way to describe her stupidity, but....uhhh.....I think you guys have got it covered.

Andrew Rothman
May 31, 2004, 07:16 PM
Hey, MICHAEL T --

Before you go dissing whole other states, you should know a few things:

* The postal abbreviation AK (notice that both letters are capitalized?) is for Alaska, that big, sometimes-cold state up by Canada.

* Arkansas is abbreviated AR.

*"Were" is the past tense of "is"; "where" is the word for which you may have been looking.

* "Bubba" is spelled with two B's.

Also, you left out a "we" and two "the"s.

People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

Love,

Matt

ExtremeDooty
May 31, 2004, 07:23 PM
* "Bubba" is spelled with two B's.

Actually, "Bubba" is spelled with three B's.

JohnKSa
May 31, 2004, 07:58 PM
Actually, "Bubba" is spelled with three B's.
:D :D This from a man with too many 'o's in his name... :D :D

That's one of my favorite tweaks--ask someone if there are two or three 'l's in 'leveled', for example. Never fails to get an odd look.

WingZero
May 31, 2004, 07:58 PM
Karen Young, a future contender for the Darwin Awards.

possenti
May 31, 2004, 08:47 PM
The "fish-shaped water pistol" may have looked intimidating:

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=1034340

She might also be tempted to beat someone with it - again.

Why people like that continue to reproduce is a mystery to me...

JohnKSa
May 31, 2004, 08:50 PM
I can't believe no one has stated the obvious yet!

No wonder she hates it--you can't beat someone up with a water gun!

Autolite
May 31, 2004, 09:49 PM
Does anyone know where I can find a 'tactical black squirt gun' shaped like a Barracuda ???

SkunkApe
May 31, 2004, 10:12 PM
I don't see what the problem is. It's not like she beat him to death with a trout.

Beer came out my nose. Now my stomcah hurts. Thanks for the laugh, cslinger.

Zundfolge
June 1, 2004, 01:15 AM

Can someone tell me why this psychotic piece of white trash still has custody of her children?

Gordon Fink
June 1, 2004, 02:24 AM
Karen Young … accidentally shot an ex-boyfriend … when the gun she was beating him with went off.…

You can’t make stuff like this up! :neener:

~G. Fink

killermarmot
June 1, 2004, 04:06 AM
....just...don't have the words. I mean....just so dumb... I don't know whether to drink, cry, or go shooting.

Elarski
June 1, 2004, 04:37 AM
I'm sorry, but somebody just needs to drain that gene pool! :rolleyes:

Anna G.
June 1, 2004, 07:13 AM
http://www.turtleforum.com/forum/upload/html/emoticons/lmbo.gif http://www.turtleforum.com/forum/upload/html/emoticons/lmbo.gif http://www.turtleforum.com/forum/upload/html/emoticons/lmbo.gif

This is so funny, somehow tragic, but still funny! Combined with your comments this made my day. I'll chuckle every time I remember about this thread for some time.

griz
June 1, 2004, 11:43 AM
You have to wonder how far this will go. If she had beat one of her loved ones with a bat, would the school have to hide base ball games from her child? Why does ANYBODY care what offends this "parent"?:rolleyes:

HankB
June 1, 2004, 11:53 AM
This happened in Arkansas?

Hmmm . . . now we know what happens when cousins marry.

mountaindrew
June 1, 2004, 11:56 AM
Ya know Zund, I should have thought of that. Wouln't pistol whipping and shooting your boyfriend be a serious felony? I dunno, Maybe thts just cosidered a "Domestic distubance" Down in Arkansas:D

A little modification of an old adage, to be told to this woman:
"Guns don't beat and shoot thier boyfriends, YOU beat and shot your boyfriend!"

Now hand the kids over to the nice folks in the white suits and get in the handbasket, we're goin for a ride!:evil:

Zundfolge
June 1, 2004, 12:04 PM
'nother thought:

Young says two of her brothers were shot in domestic disputes, her uncle committed suicide with a gun...

Okay, so because of the existance of guns two of her brothers weren't able to beat their women to death ... and apparently the presence of guns in the world so depressed her uncle that he killed himself?

Sawdust
June 1, 2004, 12:04 PM
Must...throw...up...:barf:

Sawdust

MLH
June 1, 2004, 12:09 PM
:banghead: :banghead: :cuss: :cuss: :barf: :barf:

sturmruger
June 1, 2004, 12:21 PM
What a moron. People like that make me wish we could ship them off to the UK.

Alan Fud
June 1, 2004, 12:51 PM
http://www.arkansasnbc.com/Global/story.asp?S=1902337&nav=F8n2NWH1 ... ... Young says she has strict guidelines at home and she wants her children to understand that guns are not toys. Young says two of her brothers were shot in domestic disputes, her uncle committed suicide with a gun and she accidentally shot her ex boyfriend when the gun she hit him with went off ...

outfieldjack
June 1, 2004, 01:28 PM
Serious on:

I bet she was teaching the kids about those fish in South America that squirt water from their mouths and hit insects on branches above the stream that they live in, and then eat the bugs when they fall in the water... a very thoughtful gift if you ask me....

Serious off:

I bet the Mom hopes they learn about teeth, brain matter, and common sense next year..... I think her kids need to bring some of that home to her....

RustyHammer
June 1, 2004, 02:32 PM
ooooo OOOOOOOOO ooooooo ..... :rolleyes:

chrisb507
June 1, 2004, 02:54 PM
OK, lady, so YOU don't like fish-shaped guns. I wish these antis weren't so gosh darned...shellfish.

:D

Warbow
June 1, 2004, 03:05 PM
I don't know what's worse. This woman's stupidity and very apparent lack of good judgement, or the fact that the media saw fit to publish her stupidity. :barf:

Mikul
June 2, 2004, 01:45 PM
Assault Fruit

A Durian:
http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~durian/img/d-plenty.jpg

minnesota oldie
June 2, 2004, 02:05 PM
Enough of this, I warning you all now, I have a guppy and I know how to use it.

Dr.Who
June 3, 2004, 12:53 AM
On a Fish Scale of 1-10...
1 for stupidity
10 for the laughs...

Harry Tuttle
June 3, 2004, 01:29 AM
http://www.centurynovelty.com/cart/images/general/Squirts/SeaLords.JPG

JohnKSa
June 3, 2004, 01:35 AM
Harry,

I can't believe you posted that.

The HORROR!

Strings
June 3, 2004, 01:47 AM
Waiter! Check please!

And I have to agree: she still has custody of her kids HOW?!?!?!

The_Antibubba
June 3, 2004, 05:20 AM
Remember their genetic lineage, and ask yourself, "Who would WANT them?"

There's a Nobel Prize for whoever invents a contraceptive that can be added to the drinking water...

Don Gwinn
June 3, 2004, 10:09 AM
1. I don't understand why anyone would not want to offend her. Offending stupid criminals is a good way to make sure you're on the right track.

2. As a schoolteacher, I'd just like to point out that we don't actually know the teacher apologized. The administrator said she was "horrified." Well, so am I. Maybe she's saying she's horrified at this parent's stupidity. I know I am. She also said she never intended to offend people. Well, that's probably true, but it's not an apology.

3. The Durian is actually listed as the world's "Worst Fruit" in Felton and Fowler's Best, Worst, and Most Unusual. They compare the flavor to rotting meat and the consistency to snot.

Seriously, are we SURE this isn't a hoax? Please, Lord, let it be a hoax!
:banghead:

Evil_Ed
June 3, 2004, 03:27 PM
Harry Tuttle posted:
http://www.centurynovelty.com/cart/images/general/Squirts/SeaLords.JPG

So, the Dolphin is for hunting...does that make the shark a dreaded assault fish? And is the Orca a weapon of mass destruction? I think this is a bit fishy.

Are we sure the Committee for Fish Control isn't behind this heinous action? They tend to carp on this issue ad nauseum. Next thing they will want to ban my ... Marlin.
:evil:

TechBrute
June 3, 2004, 05:16 PM
After reading through the replies, I doubt there's anything funny left to say. I was in absolute disbelief when I read the article, though. Has common sense left society completely?

Harry Tuttle
June 3, 2004, 05:40 PM
the horrror of the TFL assault Tuna lives
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=1039833

will the streets be flooded with these Fish of Mass Destruction this Fall?

orangeninja
June 3, 2004, 05:43 PM
Yet another classic example of how a criminal....in this case the "mother" is the victim and everyone BUT her has to pay for her crime. I'm just disgusted.:cuss: :banghead: :fire:

believe it or not, while in college I taught pre-school. I was told to break any sticks that looked like a gun shape on the playground because the boys were being boys. I.E. playing cops and robbers.

TechBrute
June 3, 2004, 05:48 PM
Holy cow... who let you near their kids? :eek:

:evil: :neener: :D

orangeninja
June 3, 2004, 09:29 PM
What????..............I'm good with kids.:D

seriously....I'd be a grade school teacher if it paid anything.

TechBrute
June 3, 2004, 09:47 PM
I'd say that as a schoolteacher you'd get shot at less than your current badge-enhanced job, but these days that might not be the case.:what:

ducktapehero
June 3, 2004, 10:34 PM
MAN!!! Just reading that made my IQ drop a point. It's too bad this lady has already bred.

BluesBear
June 4, 2004, 10:51 PM
I was told to break any sticks that looked like a gun shape on the playground Because we know that broken sticks make better DAGGERS!

Hey Kid! BE careful with that... you'll poke your eye out!

If you enjoyed reading about "Gun-shy mom scared of fish-shaped water pistol" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!