Saw an article on the new 50GI

PDA

mormonsniper
May 31, 2004, 09:30 AM
I don't remember which gun rag had the article but was curious if anyone else had come across it. I have always thought a 50 "ACP" semi auto or something like it would be the "cat's meow".

Any comments? Expensive and scarce ammo but other than that....

Thanks in advance.

ms

If you enjoyed reading about "Saw an article on the new 50GI" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mormonsniper
May 31, 2004, 01:48 PM
Here's (http://www.classichandguns.com/50GIpage.html) a website with information on the new 1911 style auto. I apologize for not including one in the first post.

ms

inventory0297
May 31, 2004, 02:29 PM
"New proprietary round" = expensive and impossible to find..............

CrudeGT
May 31, 2004, 04:38 PM
I want one... Heck I'll take a couple.

I wonder how that round compared to what the DE.50 fires?

RevDisk
May 31, 2004, 04:45 PM
I wouldn't buy a new rather unknown firearm until I heard of someone test firing it. Call me cautious. I'd also wait until someone cranks out enough brass that I know I could reload for a long while.

The upside of it is that one can buy a conversion kit to turn it into a plain .45. If said company goes under or brass becomes impossible to find, you simply have another 1911 clone.

Nightcrawler
May 31, 2004, 05:07 PM
I wonder how that round compared to what the DE.50 fires?

.50GI is considerably less potent than .50AE. .50AE offers 325 grain bullets at 1300+ feet per second; pretty stout stuff.

I think the .50GI's velocity ranges from 750 to 950 feet per second, though I'm unsure of the bullet weights or exact velocity numbers.

On the other hand, the Guncrafter Model 1 doesn't weight four pounds like a Desert Eagle does, either.

MAURICE
May 31, 2004, 06:17 PM
The actual pistol in the photographs is (was a few weeks ago,anyway) in Tontitown, AR at Ozark Sportsman Supply. Very slick, and the muzzle end of the barrel is very intimidating.
Relax, I didnt point it at my face...that woulda been just plain stoopid. :scrutiny:

CrudeGT
May 31, 2004, 06:25 PM
I do not really see what the use is for that can fire a .50 but does not pack the punch of a .50

The why not just get a .40 or .45 that can carry more ammo and still just a much punch? I know it's a bigger round but it seems to me that with a FPS of around 700 to 800 there are more powerful .45 rounds out there. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Browns Fan
May 31, 2004, 06:26 PM
What's not to like? Makes a big hole! :D Recoil souldnt be too bad at +/-800 fps.

CrudeGT
May 31, 2004, 06:42 PM
Truye, but if a little hole can do the same amount of damage, since the goal for a military weapon is to kill something, a smaller hole can accomplish that and you get to pul more littler holes through more things without reloading as often.

Granted the more options for merrier, and it is good to have choices now if one wants to purchase a .50. But for military use, I think this one is as useless as the DE.50

If you enjoyed reading about "Saw an article on the new 50GI" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!