Beretta 950

PDA

Karate
May 31, 2004, 11:30 AM
I was wondering how do you guys carry your Beretta 950(those of you that have them)...and by this I do not mean just where but in what condition....since it is single action...do any of you carry C&L..or Hammer down safety off...half cocked safety off...half cocked safety on...since there is no grip safety looks like a mighty gutsy move to carry it C&L in your pocket or anywhere for that matter...just curious...I usually carry mine in the right front pocket half cocked safety off

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta 950" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Marko Kloos
May 31, 2004, 12:23 PM
Hammer in half-cock notch, safety off.

Kevlarman
May 31, 2004, 05:42 PM
I have an old model Jetfire, with no safety whatsoever. I carry it with one in the pipe, hammer down.

Of course, I don't have a CCW, so that's limited to in house or campsite.
:fire:

Badger Arms
May 31, 2004, 07:11 PM
With the 950 BS, you have a manual safety. I don't use it, but you can. I carry my Jetfire with a round in the chamber, full magazine, and the hammer on half-cock. You have to cock the gun for it to fire, but that's just fine. Very reliable pistol in 25 auto. It's low enough velocity that an expanding bullet isn't necessary. About as effective as a 22 short but much more reliable.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=1034168

wally
May 31, 2004, 07:46 PM
Actually as effective as .22 LR out of the same length barrel with less blast and flash. Absolutely correct about .25 being far more reliable than .22LR in a gun this small.

When I had a Jetfire (traded it to my brother-in-law for a Minolta Flash Meter)
I recall the manual said hammer back with safety on or hammer full down with safety off. I'm sure the current manual would say chamber empty in today's legal climate. I used to carry mine hammer down because The way I carried meant I'd use it left handed so thumb cocking worked best. If I carried it so I could draw right handed, it'd be cocked'n'locked.

I'm under the impression that half cock notches are for in case your thumb slips off while cocking it, not for safe carrying. The only exceptions I know of are Sigs which decock to something like a half cock notch, and CZs since both of these have firing pin blocks and the CZs with decockers lower the hammer to half cocked.

--wally.

longeyes
May 31, 2004, 09:19 PM
I have one and like mine.

But I have a question:

Is it me or is this pistol next to impossible to cock one-handed? I'd prefer to keep me with one in the chamber, hammer down, but for quick use cocked 'n' locked seems more practical with that long, hard hammer pull.

wally
May 31, 2004, 09:54 PM
Maybe my hands were stronger way back then, I don't have mine now.

I'd draw (left handed) with my fingers around the grip, index finger straight along the slide, thumb on the hammer. As it clears my pocket or holster I'd flip it up on target with the thumb cocking the hammer as the thumb slips down to a normal grip position. Finger goes into the trigger guard to shoot as the last step. Takes a little practice, but it wasn't hard to learn.

I still handle my snubbie revolvers this way. Since I've never fired a shot in anger can't really be sure how well it works. I'm happy with the way it works in "instinctive shooting" practice at the range (most public ranges won't allow this) and have never had an AD or had the hammer drop on a dummy round when I'd intended to draw and abort firing while practicing around the house.

I used to practice with primer powered wax slugs in the garage when I first started thinking about carrying a gun for defense some 25+ years ago after my neighbor was "randomly" murdered coming home from a night club by a serial killer . The SOB is up for release this year due to a stupid plea deal, another state has him now for trial on one of their murders, not clear if they will be able to convict after all this time.

--wally.

berettaman
June 1, 2004, 11:30 PM
Left front pocket,1 in the chamber,hammer down.I'm currently using Fiocchi 50gr FMJ. 250 error free rounds thru it and into the daily carry routine it went.Single hand cocking just like Wally.
http://www.hunt101.com/img/167970.JPG

Badger Arms
June 1, 2004, 11:45 PM
Single-hand cocking. It's not that hard, not sure if I'm in the minority.

Kalos
June 2, 2004, 09:29 AM
Just curious... I've been watching this thread for the last few days, and can't quite figure it out, probably 'cause I don't have the pistol in question. But it looks like it has a manual safety... and I'm pretty sure I recall people mentioning one in a few of the posts. So why all this hoopla about carrying it half-cocked, hammer down on a chambered round, etc? Why not just carry it C&L, as you would a 1911? Just curious. :)

wally
June 2, 2004, 10:22 AM
C'n'L on the 950 is awkward if used left handed. When I had one and carried it, where I carried it meant I'd be using it left handed.

Half cocked is easier to cock from than full down, the 950 is unusual since the safety goes on with it at half-cock. In general I think half-cock is designed to prevent AD if your thumb slips while cocking, not for carrying, unless the gun has a de-cocker as these often drop to something like a half cock position (SIG & CZ come to mind).

--wally.

Kevlarman
June 2, 2004, 11:08 AM
There's no safety on mine!

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=603137
:p

Karate
June 2, 2004, 02:39 PM
Since there is no grip safety as on a 1911...carrying C&L in the front pocket seems a little too risky for me...One hand cocking is fairly easy to me...If I could be sure that the safety would not come off C&L would be the way to go

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta 950" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!