Ffl?

PDA

Rebeldon
June 1, 2004, 08:59 PM
I was thinking about getting a FFL. Two fellers, albeit dealers, told me that it was impossible to get a FFL these days without a storefront, and that I'd have to make a profit of $5000 anually to maintain the license. It this true, or are they full of it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ffl?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Stebalo
June 1, 2004, 09:09 PM
I've heard the same thing about a store front before. If you look at the FFL application, they ask about your storefront, hours of operation, zoning regulations at your storefront, etc. Also, be prepared to give up your rights under the Fourth Amendment.

Firearms Law Center says that you do not need a storefront. I believe they have talked about preventing kitchen table dealers. Maybe it is still ok.

http://www.firearmslawcenter.org/content/Federallawsummary.asp

CrudeGT
June 1, 2004, 09:48 PM
Why would they put a minimum profit cap on a business license? So only really profittable people can own gun shops? I'm not doubting it's a law, just sounds really odd.

Chipperman
June 1, 2004, 10:06 PM
State law is often more limiting here than Fed law.

Trebor
June 1, 2004, 10:16 PM
The trick is that you have to be in compliance with local zoning regs. You don't absolutely have to have a store front, but if you are planning on operating out of your home, make sure you are in compliance with local regs before you spend the money on the application. It all depends on your local zoning regs.

As far as how much business you need to do, if there's a specific set amount, I haven't heard it. They do want you to be "engaged in the business" and will pull your license if they think you are only using it to enhance your personal collection, but there aren't any clear minimums set as to what "engaged in the business" means.

WhoKnowsWho
June 2, 2004, 01:19 AM
A local dealer at www.barrettarms.com operates out of his home. His storefront is the website technically.

Majic
June 2, 2004, 03:02 AM
sorry. double post.

Majic
June 2, 2004, 03:02 AM
Your application request is forwarded to your local government and if your home is in a residential zoned area they may forbid it. A little trick the BATF learned when they were trying to run all the home dealers out of business.

Rebeldon
June 3, 2004, 12:40 PM
What I want to do is have a website, do transfers for people who are shipping across state lines, and buy/sell/trade at gunshows. I will not have people coming to my house. I will deliver local sales or tranfers, as I don't want people coming to my house. My neighbors would not see cars pull up to my house all the time carrying guns in and out of my house. There would not be any kitchen table sales...at least, not my kitchen table. It's not like I'd have regular hours of operation. Also, it would be nice to get my own stuff cheaper.

tcsd1236
June 3, 2004, 04:33 PM
What I want to do is have a website, do transfers for people who are shipping across state lines, and buy/sell/trade at gunshows. I will not have people coming to my house. I will deliver local sales or tranfers, as I don't want people coming to my house. My neighbors would not see cars pull up to my house all the time carrying guns in and out of my house. There would not be any kitchen table sales...at least, not my kitchen table. It's not like I'd have regular hours of operation. Also, it would be nice to get my own stuff cheaper.

Since transfers can only be done at the licensed premises, if you are doing transfers, you are stuck having them over to where ever the licensed premises are, with the exception of gun shows.....

You will need to list regular hours of operation of some sort on your application.

An FFL of the type you want is not intended to be used primarily to augment your own collection. One every now and then is ok, but if your bound book shows them primarily going to you, you will have issues with ATF when they do inspections.

Overall, your expectations about what you want to accomplish with your FFL is going to get you in hot water sooner or later.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ffl?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!