Received my Ohio CHL today- positive and negative

PDA

Jackthelad
June 1, 2004, 10:12 PM
Received my Ohio CHL today. One of the proudest moments of my life. Our law recently passed and was active April 8th. I found it somewhat odd that despite having only 2 residences since birth- (I am 37), I am currently bonded to $5,000,000.00 dollars for work- (I am an escrow officer for a large title company and have access sending and receiving wires), On any given day, I handle between 1.5-3 million dollars, I have had bi annual background checks run throughout my 12 years with the company - (criminal, credit, legal, financial), am subject to random drug testing, have been fingerprinted for my job- not only for my company, but for various large clients throughout the years, have NEVER been stopped by the law- not even a speeding ticket or parking ticket driving for 21 years, it STILL took 5 days longer than the maximum allowed by state law to issue my license. Honestly, look at the facts above coupled with the fact that my training was 21 hours- 9 more than the requirement from the oldest rifle club in the area with NRA certified instructors. For some odd reason, I would think that my background check should have been pretty quick. I picked my license up and was told it was "Conditional upon them receiving a clean record from the juvenile courts". Fer the love of GAWD! I gave those folks everything except my marriage license and a copy of our pooch's vaccination records! I always thought I was a good risk. Maybe I am becoming a real rebel as I approach middle age- or at least look like one. Maybe I will put some intimidating motorcycle stickers on the back of our mini van. Thanks for letting me vent. I hate to take it personally- but I did.

If you enjoyed reading about "Received my Ohio CHL today- positive and negative" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Standing Wolf
June 1, 2004, 11:37 PM
I hate to take it personally- but I did.

You should. You've just been insulted by the same government you're paying for.

Leatherneck
June 2, 2004, 07:41 AM
What S.W. said.

Realize that, to many in government, the nationwide outbreak of "independence" can be threatening. So they drag their heels in issuing CCW permits, even beyond the normally high-inertia bureaucratic processes. In addition, I expect Ohio 'crats are still figuring out how to accomplish the administrative taske they require of themselves.

I doubt it had anything to do with your squeaky clean background.

TC
TFL Survivor

HankB
June 2, 2004, 08:49 AM
. . . it STILL took 5 days longer than the maximum allowed by state law . . . So the bureaucrats didn't obey the law - how about that?

Every time I hear another example of there being NO consequences for scofflaw bureaucrats . . . .:cuss: :fire: :banghead: :barf:

BB62
June 2, 2004, 09:34 AM
"(I am 37)...Maybe I am becoming a real rebel as I approach middle age- or at least look like one. "

Jack,

I have a few years on you (VERY few) and I am doing the same thing - being more of a rebel, or a rebel about different/bigger things.

As I have gotten older I think that the age requirements for the Presidency make a lot of sense (they could up them a bit, though).

You, I and lots of others have lived through enough to realize all the points that other posters have made, and although we may not have coalesced those points into a list in our minds, that sense of understanding/irritation exists.

I was lucky - 10 days in Butler county.

BTW, check out OhioCCW.org. If you want, sign up for the talk list. Seems like you're a good candidate. Involvement is the only thing that will change things.

BTW II - "take it personally" - you'll probably also take personally the "No CCW" signs put up by various ignorant/Chicken Little businesses - at least I have.

Best,
BB62

Augustwest
June 2, 2004, 09:48 AM
As I have gotten older I think that the age requirements for the Presidency make a lot of sense (they could up them a bit, though).

I'm beginning to think an amendment to make the minimum age for President 150 might not be such a bad idea. :D

Backhanded congrats on your CHL Jack. Shame that you had to get a gov't permission slip to exercise the most basic of all rights...

flatrock
June 2, 2004, 10:20 AM
Congrats on your CHL. I applied on the first day and mine took 2 weeks. My wife applied more recently and it took 8 calander days.

Sorry to hear things aren't going as well in the county you applied in.

gbelleh
June 2, 2004, 10:31 AM
Sorry to hear about your delay. I haven't heard of anyone's permit taking the full 45 days until now. Mine took 14 days in Hamilton County. It was ready 1 week earlier than they said it would be.

If you don't mind, what county did you apply in?

Realleycat
June 2, 2004, 10:45 AM
In Florida the wait is at least 90 Days. At least our Carry Laws aren't screwed up like Ohio.

As a side note, I moved down here from Ohio in 1997.

walker37
June 2, 2004, 10:47 AM
You should take it personally! And you should be mad as hell about it. First you are being forced to ask permission to exercise your RIGHTS. Then you are forced to jump through hoops before you are given permission to exercise your RIGHTS. Then, as a final kick in the teeth, the idiots that are deciding if they are going to allow you to exercise your RIGHTS break the law!
Now let's see if these same idiots wait as long to take your permit away if they think you have abused your RIGHT!

Jackthelad
June 2, 2004, 01:24 PM
I am in Summit County- Akron area.

jnojr
June 2, 2004, 01:57 PM
To put things in perspective... you have a CCW! I don't, and almost certainly won't as long as I live in California. Yes, you should be upset at the government flouting the laws... but at the end of the day, you got your CCW. I'd trade places with you in a heartbeat... :-)

Coronach
June 3, 2004, 01:43 AM
Its not so much that they're flouting the law...

I mean, its not like they have Smithers and Mr. Burns going "How shall we infringe the rights of the masses today?" "Well, sir, we could mail that CCW permit a day late." "EXCELLENT!" :rolleyes: Its more like our knuckleheaded legislature gave them about 90 days to set up a whole new bureaucratic process, a hard timeline in which applications must be processed, a bunch of pretty silly hoops, and no money or additional personnel with which to do it.

Yeah. I'm aware that they're taking a few days longer than they should. Give me liberty or give me death. Yadda yadda yadda.

Mike

walker37
June 3, 2004, 03:26 PM
Quote:
I mean its not like they have Smithers and Mr. Burns going "How shall we infringe the rights of the masses today?"

Uh...well..actually they do. Maybe not Smithers and Burns. More like Clintons, Bushes, Feinsteins, Shumers and any number of lesser known sheriffs and police chiefs around the country. If you think the infringement that we face everyday on our gun rights in this country isn't VERY INTENTIONAL and VERY thought out you are sadly mistaken!

PS.. I have some ocean front property I am trying to unload in Indiana,, you interested?

David Park
June 3, 2004, 03:46 PM
Virginia has had shall-issue CCW since 1995, and some counties still take longer than the 45-day maximum specified by law. We finally "solved" the problem by changing the law this year so that your CCW application becomes your temporary CCW permit after day 45, until you receive your real permit (or are denied).

Coronach
June 3, 2004, 10:50 PM
If you think the infringement that we face everyday on our gun rights in this country isn't VERY INTENTIONAL and VERY thought out you are sadly mistaken!No. Sometimes it is, and sometimes it isn't. The mere fact that they might be running behind in the process is not necessarily indicative of anything more malign than the usual bureaucratic sloth, given the circumstances. Now, give it a while and it still goes on, after they should have the kinks ironed out? Then you may well have a point. PS.. I have some ocean front property I am trying to unload in Indiana,, you interested?No. Thanks.

Mike

cropcirclewalker
June 3, 2004, 11:34 PM
Virginia has had shall-issue CCW since 1995, and some counties still take longer than the 45-day maximum specified by law. We finally "solved" the problem by changing the law this year so that your CCW application becomes your temporary CCW permit after day 45, until you receive your real permit (or are denied).

That sounds a little scary to me. Why should the afore mentioned sloth like county employee even bother to TRY to hit the 45 days? Why even run the checks?

What does the new law say about renewing your application?

They gotta put some teeth in it too.

walker37
June 4, 2004, 10:00 AM
Quote from Coronach:
"Then you may well have a point."

You are missing the point. The fact that he even has to ask permission and go through all the hoops to be granted permission to exercise his rights is the point. You say "sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't" an intentional infringement. That is where you are wrong. It is irrelevant if he received the permit the day he was told he would, or two weeks later. ANY time you have to ASK permission to exercise a RIGHT, it is an infringement!

Coronach
June 4, 2004, 10:22 AM
Your objection is with the whole idea of permits, then, not anything to do with the rapidity with which they are issued. Rather than hijack the thread I'll merely note that the permit system is better than what Ohio had before.

Mike

walker37
June 4, 2004, 10:57 AM
From Coronach:

"Your objection is with the whole idea of permits, then, not anything to do with the rapidity with which they are issued."

I was responding to Jackthelad's post when he said, "I hate to take it personally - but i did".

From Coronach:

"Rather than hijack the thread I'll merely note that the permit system is better than what Ohio had before".

Noted

If you enjoyed reading about "Received my Ohio CHL today- positive and negative" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!