UBL: "trenches" or "tunnels"?

PDA

cuchulainn
February 11, 2003, 04:18 PM
The translations I've been hearing of the message supposedly from UBL tonight has him telling the Iraqis to build "trenches." But I'm wondering if the Arabic word he used should have been translated as "tunnels." I'm thinking this because he says the "trenches" were what helped him to "victory" :rolleyes: in Afghanistan. IIRC, they had tunnels in Afghanistan, not trenches.

In any event, tunnels or trenches, it doesn't seem like a very good strategy. Didn't the Iraqis build trenches in 90/91 along the Kuwaiti border (which we bombed to Jello from above and went around like the Maginot Line once we sent in land troops)?

If you enjoyed reading about "UBL: "trenches" or "tunnels"?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kobun
February 11, 2003, 04:28 PM
I don't think the Iraqis would like to be in a trench if the Americans come rolling in.
In '91, many Iraqi troops were buried alive, as the US bulldozed the trenches...

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=43854

Greg L
February 11, 2003, 04:29 PM
Bombed to jello and then went in with blades on the tanks and burried them right there.

Greg

Justin
February 11, 2003, 04:32 PM
That's a good point, I was wondering about the whole trenches thing when it was broadcast. But it would seem to me that it'd be harder to build tunnels in the sands of Iraq than it would to build them in the mountains of Afghanistan.

And man, is that guy long-winded or what? Sheeze.

Soap
February 11, 2003, 04:33 PM
Hey Osama, I'm reading the Wall Street Journal, sipping a ron y coque, and about to smoke a cigar. Have fun in your tunnels!

Gewehr98
February 11, 2003, 05:24 PM
it'd be easier to be nice and neat when burying the trash!;)

jmbg29
February 11, 2003, 05:28 PM
UBL: "trenches" or "tunnels"? Just make 'em six feet deep. :fire: :cuss: :fire:

CWL
February 11, 2003, 06:19 PM
I think that UBL was trying to give the Iraqis a 'pep talk' in encouraging them that they have a good chance of survival if they dig in and tough out a US bombardment. He's using himself as an example of someone who obviously survived repeated US aggression. -Of course he was in the mountains.

I think that the Baghdad area is desertlike. Sand doesn't form trenches or tunnels very easily. Certainly isn't stable under bombardment. Dig all they want.

Mark D
February 11, 2003, 08:30 PM
I hear a guy "rallying" his troops via a broadcast tape recording, delivered from the questionably safe seclusion of a dark hole someplace...

That doesn't paint the picture of a triumphant partisan for me.

If I was an Iraqi soldier, I would not feel greatly encouraged.

Schuey2002
February 11, 2003, 09:19 PM
We kicked him out of Afghanistan and He is saying that we lost against the Taliban !??!..

He has a creative imagination..:rolleyes:

Selfdfenz
February 11, 2003, 09:23 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UBL: "trenches" or "tunnels"?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just make 'em six feet deep.

jmbg

LMAO.

On second thought.
Might make'em 7 cause every hole will have a foot of you-know-what at the bottom when they the USA coming their way.
S-

blades67
February 11, 2003, 09:24 PM
We kicked him out of Afghanistan and He is saying that we lost against the Taliban !??!..

He has a creative imagination..

It's either an active imagination, or he's a Democrat.:evil:

jmbg29
February 12, 2003, 12:43 AM
Might make'em 7 cause every hole will have a foot of you-know-what at the bottom when they the USA coming their way. :evil:

If you enjoyed reading about "UBL: "trenches" or "tunnels"?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!