What's the best war movie ever made?

PDA

Preacherman
June 2, 2004, 06:19 AM
The recent threads on good war movies got me thinking - which is absolutely THE best war film? You're allowed to choose only one, based on historical accuracy, cinematography, realism, plot, etc. Which do you think is the very best?

For myself, I have to vote for Gettysburg (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00003CXA6/qid=1086167774/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-4630070-5734461?v=glance&s=dvd). I don't think I've ever seen a movie that was so faithful to history, so magnificently cast, and so wonderfully detailed. I watch it a couple of times a year, and am always moved by it.

What's your nomination?

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the best war movie ever made?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Night Guy
June 2, 2004, 06:24 AM
Starship Troopers:neener:

Oh you said best war movie, not best bad war movie.

I've probably seen fewer "classical" war movies, but my favorites are Saving Private Ryan and Braveheart.

4570Rick
June 2, 2004, 06:36 AM
Red Badge of Courage.

MuzzleBlast
June 2, 2004, 09:59 AM
The original All Quiet on the Western Front. The book was even better.

BigG
June 2, 2004, 10:09 AM
Based on your criteria I would say To Hell and Back (http://www.epinions.com/mvie-review-71AE-8EAF052-38A8184F-prod6) Cheers, Preacherman!

Okiecruffler
June 2, 2004, 10:10 AM
I've become addicted to Blackhawk Down and watch it at least once a week to fuel my flame against the UN and their "thumb up our bum" rules of engagement.

JohnBT
June 2, 2004, 10:24 AM
I don't know much about 13th century warfare or history, but here's my vote, English subtitles and all. John

Alexander Nevsky(1938)

"Sergei Eisenstein's landmark tale of Russia thwarting the German invasion of the 13th century was wildly popular and quite intentional, given the prevailing Nazi geopolitical advancement and destruction at the time. It can still be viewed as a masterful use of imagery and music, with the Battle on the Ice sequence as the obvious highlight. Unfortunately, the rest of the film pales in comparison. A great score by Prokofiev was effectively integrated by the Russian filmmaker, but stands on its own merit as well."

www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/6301816218/103-5280005-3097465?v=glance

Art Eatman
June 2, 2004, 10:34 AM
The 1943-ish movie, "Air Force". A pretty good job of depicting Pearl Harbor and the air war in the Pacific.

Still, I think my father's comment holds: "They'll never make an accurate war movie. They can't bring in the smell of a battlefield."

Art

Byron
June 2, 2004, 10:50 AM
"We Were Sodiers" is my thoughts. It was accurate and also showed the impact on the families at home.
"Band of Brothers" should not be overlooked. Byron

shooter58
June 2, 2004, 10:54 AM
The Rough Riders

The best portrayal of TR I have ever seen. Extremely well made movie.

Smoke
June 2, 2004, 11:40 AM
Best or ones I liked....

The Patriot
Blackhawk Down
We Were Soldiers
Saving PRivate Ryan
Gettysburg
Braveheart
Band of Brothers

I'll think of others

Smoke

I knew I'd think of some more...

Full Metal Jacket
Apocalypse Now
Memphis belle
Gods and Generals
Patton (:D )

OEF_VET
June 2, 2004, 11:43 AM
Peter,

If you love Gettysburg, and haven't seen it, you must see Gods and Generals . It's just as good, in my opinion.

My vote for best war movie would have to go to Band of Brothers , even though it is technically a mini-series. It still counts though, right?

Frank

jdege
June 2, 2004, 11:54 AM
Zulu.

Best portrayal of small-unit leadership in film.

Chard: The army doesn't like more than one disaster in a day.
Bromhead: Looks bad in the newspapers and upsets civilians at their breakfast.

(Alright. Nobody told you to stop working.)

Ktulu
June 2, 2004, 12:07 PM
Although it's not technically not a movie, I'd have to say Band of Brothers hands down.

EDIT: Frank, I just read your post. Good minds think a like I guess.

ReadyontheRight
June 2, 2004, 12:10 PM
Band of Brothers amazes me.

Unisaw
June 2, 2004, 12:15 PM
Band of Brothers is the best IMO.

Often overlooked but good: Gardens of Stone

trapshooter
June 2, 2004, 12:20 PM
Ok. Dr. Strangelove...... but I'm a warped individual.

For 'real' war movies, you have to categorize them

Naval -
'Das Boot'.
'The Enemy Below'.

for starters.

Little Loudmouth
June 2, 2004, 01:02 PM
I'll copy trapshooter and class my favorites:

Naval:
Run Silent, Run Deep

Army:
We Were Soldiers

Older times:
The Patriot

My 2 cents worth....

JohnBT
June 2, 2004, 01:53 PM
I'm still thinking on this. I guess I like epics.

It's not your typical shoot-'em-up action flick, but how about the best movie of 1962, Lawrence of Arabia.

John

"Although it seems to be a traditional narrative film - like "Bridge on the River Kwai," which Lean made just before it, or "Doctor Zhivago," which he made just after - it actually has more in common with such essentially visual epics as Kubrick's "2001" or Eisenstein's "Alexander Nevsky." "

- Roger Ebert

The Lost Battalion...I'm stuck in WWI it seems.

"Without the extreme violence and profanity of "Saving Private Ryan" or "Black Hawk Down", Mulcahy's film achieves a higher level of cinematic and emotional success than either of its modern counterparts." - from a review

RepublicanMan
June 2, 2004, 02:31 PM
B.O.B.
Patton
The Patriot
Gettysburg
Gods and Generals (better than Gettysburg, Duvall makes a much better Lee)

Higgins
June 2, 2004, 03:01 PM
How about "Glory" - Civil War flick with Matthew Broderick and Denzel Washington (his first Academy Award for best supporting actor). Some good battle scenes and a great musical score.

And, despite their anti-war messages, surprised no body mentioned "Born on the Fourth of July," "Deer Hunter" (for Christopher Walken's Oscar performance at the least), and "Platoon."

Does "M.A.S.H." count?

kbakerwv
June 2, 2004, 03:09 PM
Das Boot (The Boat)
Those bubble-heads are crazy!:what:

mondocomputerman
June 2, 2004, 03:11 PM
I really like Saving Private Ryan. Easy to follow, pretty simple storyline. Or maybe I just have a simple mind...

bill2
June 2, 2004, 03:14 PM
Band of Brothers

Saving Private Ryan

Patton

and to remind myself of bad a war movie can be: Rambo!

Darkside852003
June 2, 2004, 03:25 PM
Hamburger Hill
Platoon
Gods and Generals
Patton
We Were Soldiers
Band Of Brothers
Apocalypse Now
Sergeant York (old WW1 black and white movie I like it)
Deer Hunter
Black Hawk Down

Just to name a few.

fix
June 2, 2004, 03:39 PM
...historical accuracy, cinematography, realism, plot...

Historical Accuracy - Tie between Gettysburg and Band Of Brothers

Cinematography - Enemy At The Gates

Realism - Blackhawk Down

Plot - We Were Soldiers

I'd love to see the people who made Band Of Brothers link up with the team from We Were Soldiers to do a movie on the life of Lewis Burwell Puller. But it would be difficult to find an actor who could pull it off.

RCL
June 2, 2004, 03:51 PM
Gettysburg
Glory
The Patriot
Last of the Mohicans

Preacherman
June 2, 2004, 03:59 PM
Hey, no cheating! Remember, the object of the exercise is to choose

ONE MOVIE ONLY!!!

Anyone can make a list of favorites - we've had several here recently - but this thread is to try to establish whether there is one war film that stands out. So far, it doesn't look that way, but there's still hope... ;)

Darkside852003
June 2, 2004, 04:08 PM
There is no one war movie that stands out from the rest. If there is I would like to see it :neener:

JohnBT
June 2, 2004, 04:09 PM
I'm sorry. I thought we were nominating and YOU'd have to choose one.

:o

I see not too many folks like (watch?) old movies. And I don't mean two or three years old either.

John...and I didn't like SPR much

Ol' Badger
June 2, 2004, 04:21 PM
You Fuggers! (Inside joke if you read the book)

JK I'll say the original "All Quiet on the Western Front"
I like the part about the Boots. That great pair of Boots that kept finding a new owner.

2nd place will be "When Truphets Fade"

BigG
June 2, 2004, 04:22 PM
I have to say (again) about Audie Murphy's exploits, starring Audie Murphy, not a work of fiction. I think To Hell and Back is a clear cut above the fictional stuff no matter how endearing.

threefeathers
June 2, 2004, 04:38 PM
I've seen them all but I'm going to go with Battleground, made in 1948 with Van Johnson. "You had a good home when you leftl
You're right."

Jake
June 2, 2004, 05:11 PM
IMHO - Gods and Generals.

Detachment Charlie
June 2, 2004, 05:25 PM
All Quiet On The Western Front
-- The original, it's sobering.

birdv
June 2, 2004, 05:25 PM
Band of Brothers

SodiumBenzoate
June 2, 2004, 05:33 PM
For myself, I have to vote for Gettysburg. I don't think I've ever seen a movie that was so faithful to history, so magnificently cast, and so wonderfully detailed. I watch it a couple of times a year, and am always moved by it.

I agree it was good, but not my favorite.

My favorite war movie is either Full Metal Jacket or Blackhawk Down.

I would choose Band of Brothers, but it isn't really a "movie", per se.

BTW, I bought my copy of Gettysburg at Gettysburg :D

Pumpkinheaver
June 2, 2004, 05:38 PM
Blackhawk down, Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers run neck and neck.

Bluefish40
June 2, 2004, 05:47 PM
Wings (1927), First Best picture academy awards.

Plot Outline: Two young men, one rich, one middle class, who are in love with the same woman, become fighter pilots in World War I.

Good luck, Richie S.

June 2, 2004, 06:26 PM
Sergeant York

mcneill
June 2, 2004, 06:51 PM
We Were Soldiers

Jim

jlc
June 2, 2004, 06:55 PM
Just a lurker here, but I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned A Bridge Too Far.

Also, for all the Zulu fans, what of the star-studded "prequel" of sorts, Zulu Dawn? Not the best film, but certainly entertaining!

spartacus2002
June 2, 2004, 07:05 PM
Band of Brothers

MeekandMild
June 2, 2004, 07:19 PM
(Most of the war movies I have seen had gimmicks, like the russian roulette games of The Deer Hunter or the ridiculous thing with the clerk typist in Saving Private Ryan. Full Metal Jacket had some really dumb subplots and Apocalypse Now was psychotic.)

So for a straight war movie my vote is We Were Soldiers, with Mel Gibson. Close runner up was All Quiet on the Western Front.

Detritus
June 2, 2004, 07:40 PM
We Were Soldiers.....

read the book first, and even though it would have been a bit of a anti-climax i ALMOST wish that the LZ Albany (happened after the battle at X-Ray and IIRC was the 5thcav catching the NVA on the retreat from X-ray..) portion of the Ia Drang fight had been included as well.

i do have to comment on this though...
Apocalypse Now was psychotic

combine Fracis ford Coopola(sp?) doing a "Vietnam film" essentially right after the war ended, with a plot pretty much directly transplanted from Joseph Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" and "psychotic" is ont eh MILD end of what to expect.... :eek:

Rembrandt
June 2, 2004, 07:50 PM
"Sargeant York" (1941) starring Gary Cooper affected more peoples view of war and freedom than any other film.

York's struggle with his religious convictions-vs-the price of freedom came to the screen just as America entered WWII. Many Americans were opposed to getting involved in Europes problems...this movie addressed the "Conscientious Objector" view and why wars are fought better than any film previous or since.

Those opposed to war could say it is pro-war propaganda....others see it as an individual who stayed true to his religious beliefs and served his country with honor and distinction. True story of Congressional Medal of Honor recpient Alvin York.

http://www.army.mil/cmh/Moh1.htm

YORK, ALVIN C.

Rank and organization: Corporal, U.S. Army, Company G, 328th Infantry, 82d Division. Place and date: Near Chatel-Chehery, France, 8 October 1918. Entered service at: Pall Mall, Tenn. Born: 13 December 1887, Fentress County, Tenn. G.O. No.: 59, W.D., 1919. Citation: After his platoon had suffered heavy casualties and 3 other noncommissioned officers had become casualties, Cpl. York assumed command. Fearlessly leading 7 men, he charged with great daring a machinegun nest which was pouring deadly and incessant fire upon his platoon. In this heroic feat the machinegun nest was taken, together with 4 officers and 128 men and several guns.

Shanghai McCoy
June 2, 2004, 07:54 PM
The wife and I got to see Gettysburg at a full sized theater.The big screen does more for this movie than seeing it at home.Intermission followed the battle of Little Round Top.Most of us just stayed in our seats for awhile....
I'll vote for Gettysburg.

June 2, 2004, 08:01 PM
Gettysburg was a powerful movie. It is one of the few movies that I actually made myself go to a theatre to watch. Soon after seeing the movie I made the trip from Nevada to Gettysburg to see the battlefield. Since then I have been there several times.

Not actually a war movie, but a war era movie that left me stunned was Schlinder's List. I also saw this in a theatre and sat there with tears rolling down my face. After the movie I got into my car and sat staring blankly out the windshield for about 10 minutes before I thought I could drive. I am not exagerating.

Here is another link to Alvin York: http://www.medalofhonor.com/Sgt.York.htm

Higgins
June 2, 2004, 08:11 PM
I'll toss out another one - "The Pianist." Not strictly a war movie, but in the same vein as "Schindler's List". Pretty poignant look at how Nazi's destroyed family's and how utterly happenstance surviving war can be, ala Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse Five."

Valkman
June 2, 2004, 08:16 PM
Even though I'm heavily into the Civil War and love "Gettysburg", I have to vote for "Das Boot". I read that book numerous times as a kid, thought it was the best book ever, and then the movie was just as good.

Also, if you've never seen them check out the oringinal "Stalingrad", then the re-make of it (completely different movie), and "The Iron Cross" with James Coburn. Great, great movies.

cool45auto
June 2, 2004, 09:12 PM
I vote "Saving Private Ryan".

Diamondback
June 2, 2004, 10:34 PM
There are many excellent choices nominated but the one war movie I have seen that has never lost its impact on me is "Sargeant York"..... as a result of that movie I have never been able to look at war as anything but a bloody, horrible exercise in mass murder that is to be undertaken only when all diplomacy has failed. Gary Cooper's performance of a conflicted soldier who finds himself in a war lead by commanding officers committed to the suicidal tactics of trench warfare is masterful. War has held no romance for me since I saw "Sargeant York" in my teens. Honorable mention goes to "Red Badge of Courage" and "Blackhawk Down" and of course, "We Were Soldiers" !

Beetle Bailey
June 2, 2004, 10:51 PM
Uh, Preacherman, does Band of Brothers count? :D It's something that I would want my children to watch when they grow up (if and when I have any kids ;) ). I think I have seen every movie on this list except for Gettysburg and Gods and Generals , and to me BoB has everything and more of it than any of the others, as good as those others are. When I watch a movie, I want to see what it says about humanity, and I think you have everything in BoB, or at least everything that would be appropriate.

If BoB doesn't count then I guess the best would be Casablanca . :what: :neener: :D

Ala Dan
June 2, 2004, 11:08 PM
In order:

1) Hamburger Hill

2) Full Metal Jacket

3) Gardens Of Stone

4) Firebase Gloria

5) Platoon

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Jackthelad
June 2, 2004, 11:27 PM
The Young Lions with Marlon Brando.

BuckeyePPC
June 3, 2004, 12:08 AM
Pork Chop Hill with Gregory Peck. And in the spirit of this threads multiple choices. 12 O'Clock High with the same Gregory Peck.

Josey
June 3, 2004, 12:14 AM
The Wind and the Lion. Best background of diplomacy, compromise and finally getting PO'd enough to take punitive action I know of. It covers all sides. You end up confused, unsure of who the good guys are and outright questioning the purpose of combat. Realistic. Cast is excellent. Weapons are correct and proper period. Squad tactics are accurate also.

spazz45
June 3, 2004, 12:32 AM
The Patriot.

BamBam-31
June 3, 2004, 01:48 AM
Can I play?

Band of Brothers is a masterpiece. Movie or not, it deserves top spot in my book.

Besides the greats already mentioned above, I'd like to add:

Gallipoli
The Lighthorsemen
The Winter War
The Last Samurai

Josey
June 3, 2004, 02:00 AM
The Last Samurai? FUNNY!!! Pure fiction. The US was NOT even considered a source of knowledge or supplier of combat weapons in that time period. The USA was behind the times. No offense meant, it is totally hollyweird.

BamBam-31
June 3, 2004, 02:05 AM
Oh, crap. Just read Preacherman's first post. Didn't know historical accuracy was primary criteria.

The Last Samurai is based on some historical fact, but it is mostly hollyweird. Strike it from my list, then. Sigh....I loved that flick.

:(

Ron_Miami
June 3, 2004, 02:23 AM
My all time favorite is They Died With Their Boots On with Errol Flynn.

Also up there is Patton.

MeekandMild
June 3, 2004, 02:25 AM
Detritus, one can only pack so much history into one film. That is why I have always liked reading mmore than watching movies, though I am still a movie fan.

shooten
June 3, 2004, 03:18 PM
Sands of Iwa Jima
Black Hawk Down
Siege of Firebase Gloria
Navy SEALS is pretty good.

Sorry Preacherman, I can't pick just one...

Scott

jfh
June 3, 2004, 09:22 PM
1) original 'All Quiet....'
2) Red Badge of Courage
3) Apocalypse Now

entropy
June 4, 2004, 06:28 AM
Darn, just one, huh? There are so many good ones....

Band of Brothers takes it, IMNSHO. ;)
And Beetle, I did make my kids watch it last week, and discussed the meaning and importance of Memorial Day with them during the commercials... and dicussed unit tactics with my 10 yr. old son during the battle scenes!:D That's my boy!;)

Daniel
June 4, 2004, 08:13 AM
I've always liked The Seven Samurai. That’s my nomination.

MaterDei
June 4, 2004, 08:56 AM
Since BoB is not technically a movie, I'll vote Gallipoli.

ID_shooting
June 4, 2004, 09:23 AM
OK, no one has mentioned it so I guess I will have to:

The Big Red One.

Not great "effects" by today's standards but still good enought for me. Besides, Mark Hammil makes a good snot-nosed fumbling private, more believalbe than an all galactic Jedi Knight at any rate. Of course, Lee Marvin is just good in any war movie.

My opinion my be jaded though, it was close to mandatory viewing when I was stationed in Ft Riley :D

Johnpl
June 4, 2004, 12:51 PM
"Bridge on the River Kwai"...

Sir Alec Guiness does a great job portraying a officer conflicted about his "duty". William Holden is great as the reluctant American.

The last line of the movie: "Madness...madness."

hansolo
June 4, 2004, 01:11 PM
"Battleground" .........my Dad wrote the screenplay based on his experiences in WWII: Ardennes, Battle of the Bulge. No "slam" on
other writers, but my Dad was THERE as an Infantry Sergeant with the treebursts, frostbite, etc. I admit that I'm biased!

paladyn
June 4, 2004, 01:14 PM
Battleground, a film made in the 1950s about the Battle of the Bulge was pretty impressive.

threefeathers
June 4, 2004, 04:31 PM
We all have those experiences that shape our lives. My Dad was wounded badly on D-Day with the 82nd and spent 7 years in the VA hospital at battle Mountain S Dakota. I saw Battleground in a small theater filled with vets from that hospital. I went home and played army, then 10 years later enlisted in the infantry. I went to Berlin and was there when the wall went up. Went to college graduated with a degree in Asian Studies and volunteered for Vietnam. Then remained a 19 Delta for 24 years divided between Regular and Reserve service. I also worte a novel based on my military experiences and Doug Stewart (Officer and a Gentleman has it from my agent) all because your Dad wrote of his experiences. Thank you, and thank him.

seldomseen
June 4, 2004, 06:52 PM
It's not the best movie I have ever watched, but since no one else mentioned it, I will. Memphis Belle was a pretty good WWII movie. Don't know how accurate it was historically, but it certainly held my attention when I watched it.

Joey2
June 5, 2004, 01:31 AM
Art Eatman,

Your father nailed it. The smell, screams and the taste of fear in your throat cannot be reproduced on the screen.

Combat-wombat
June 5, 2004, 01:57 AM
I liked "Thin Red Line" and "Saving Private Ryan".

Selfdfenz
June 5, 2004, 02:14 AM
Saving Private Ryan (but after watching the beach landing the first time I still can't make it thru that part of the movie a second time)

BOB is close on it's heels

And from a movie I could remember but had to look up the correct title I came up with this quote:

"Bud Miller: You trust these f--kin' Nazis, Stan?

Older German Soldier: [in German] Who are you calling Nazis? We're not Nazis! We're the German Army! "

The movie was:
A Midnight Clear

I guess it was seen but what, 7-8 people total?

S-

Malone LaVeigh
June 5, 2004, 03:04 AM
Catch 22

or

Kurosawa's Ran

SteelyDan
June 5, 2004, 04:09 AM
Well, I'm gonna go in a little different direction. When I was just a little grasshopper, maybe 7 or 8 years old, my dad took me to see "How the West Was Won" at a then-fancy curved-screen theater that has long since been bulldozed. Only about 1/4 of the movie was a war movie, dealing with the civil war, but it made a big impression on me, and several of the songs still make me feel like I'm 8 years old, and my big strong dad is still there. He died 12 years ago, but there's something about that movie that always brings him back. It will always be my favorite.

owsi26
June 5, 2004, 09:59 AM
I've seen them all and I believe that Platoon is still the best war movie.

Alan

cooch
June 5, 2004, 10:14 AM
Some good ones mentoned, but I'll toss a couple more in for consideration.

The Great Escape.
Master and Commander.

The latter may not rate as a classic, but both of them qualify for me on the grounds that the characterisation and attitudes are realistic for the times.

One of my pet peeves is the way that Hollywood so frequently portrays military men in unrealistic ways.
I'm well aware that competence and professionalism don't make as much dramatic impact as emotionalism, agonising and shouted disputes... but the latter grate.
I grew up around a couple of retired officers who'd seen both world wars. Both of the were self-disciplined to a high degree and left me with a lasting respect for the military.

I thought it detracted from Saving Ryan's Privates that the attitudes of the characters involved owed more to the 1990s than the 1940s. ... That and the shot of the squad moving through what was supposedly enemy territory - walking across the middle of open ground, bunched up and looking at each other while talking in normal conversational tones. :banghead:

Similar Hollywood stuff-up (Big Red 1??) has the troops under artillery fire .... and some idiot running around amongst exploding shells and flying debris yelling "Take Cover!" :rolleyes: I mean,,, yanks aren't really that stupid. Are they?;)

It takes more than a lot of explosions and fake blood to make a good war movie.

Regards......... Cooch

berettaman
June 5, 2004, 10:36 AM
The Longest Day.

June 6, 2004, 01:59 PM
"One of my pet peeves is the way that Hollywood so frequently portrays military men in unrealistic ways."

My pet peeve is that a lot of war movies (majority ? but not all war movies) the hero HAS to be an officer. Enlisted men never do anything except follow an officer around watching his daring-do with awe. Wars are fought with officers 03 and above humping a ruck sack and a rifle around the mud don't you know ?

albanian
June 6, 2004, 11:51 PM
Platoon (Vietnam)

The Beast (Russian Afgan war)

Memphis Bell (WWII)

Galipoli (WWII)

Saving Private Ryan (WWII)

Enemy at the Gates (WWII)

Blackhawk Down (Takes place in a country that looks like it smells like a Port-O-Potty).:D

paladyn
June 7, 2004, 04:04 PM
I was also very impressed by Master and Commander.

fiVe
June 7, 2004, 04:32 PM
There have been many good movies listed.

I'll throw U-571 into the ring for Honorable Mention.

cerberus
June 7, 2004, 04:38 PM
Gets my vote also

Turkey Creek
June 10, 2004, 11:23 PM
This is going to really date me, but two of my all time favorites are "The Gallant Hours" 1960 and "The Fighting 69th" 1940- both James Cagney flicks

axeman_g
June 11, 2004, 02:10 PM
"A Bridge Too Far".

A create account of the Montgomery "lead" airborne/armor thrust through Holland. Great anglo/american cast and a fantastic story.

BuckeyePPC
June 11, 2004, 03:44 PM
OK, I know it's not a movie but I think it is one of the best series and that's COMBAT ! . I can't think of too many movies that was better than the TV series.

TooTech
June 11, 2004, 04:25 PM
Cross of Iron is pretty good!

mp40
June 11, 2004, 04:30 PM
Have to go with the Blue Max and Saving Private Ryan

mephisto
June 11, 2004, 04:55 PM
Galipoli (WWII) great flick but it was in WWI.

JesusCow
June 11, 2004, 05:20 PM
Platoon - no question.. I LOVE Barnes! "TAKE THE PAIN!"

Das Boot - oh man I'm gonna have to watch it now, it's been a while

I also really like Schindler's List (sp?)

krusty311
June 11, 2004, 06:06 PM
I agree with muzzleblast,definitely the original all quiet on the western front!
krusty

Silver Bullet
June 18, 2004, 07:32 PM
Von Richthofen and Brown
Enemy at the Gates

JPL
June 18, 2004, 08:49 PM
Alexander Nevsky. Not really a war film, just shameless socialist propaganda... :)

Henry V with Laurence Olivier. Or Henry V with Kenneth Brannagh.

Ran

dobbs23
June 18, 2004, 08:54 PM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned...

When Trumpets Fade

It was an HBO movie about the Hurtgen forrest battle. It came out about the same time as SPR. Excellent winter battle scenes and good squad and platoon social interaction (as long as it lasted, seeing as almost everyone you met died within a couple of days). Great scene where the squad leader is forced to shoot one of his own men (who was the flame throwerman who was set ablaze when his gas tank was hit by small arms fire) to take him out of his misery. Needless to say, the powers that be wanted to charge the squad leader with murder. If you haven't seen it, it's worth taking a look at.

And speaking of taking a look at....

Not even close to being the best, but worthy of checking out is
84 Charlie MoPic....
Pretty interesting idea, although lots of errors.

Rebeldon
June 18, 2004, 10:42 PM
Star Wars! :D

CAPTAIN MIKE
June 19, 2004, 12:56 AM
About equal in greatness are:

1. Gods and Generals
2. Gettysburg
3. Saving Private Ryan
4. Band of Brothers

WhiteKnight
June 19, 2004, 01:35 AM
I don't think I've seen enough to justify my declaration of the "best," but my favorite is Saving Private Ryan.

45nut
June 19, 2004, 05:45 PM
Red Dawn. For the reason that unless we do something soon to shut down the awb nit-wit's we will be even more vulnerable to attack than they dreamed. Of course the cubans and russians and chinese will never invade,,,right?

Of course no-one would ever dream of flying a jetliner into a tall building full of people either......

just one thought to stop that scenario from repeating itself. as every passenger is boarding,instead of getting a slip of paper they get a liberator style pistol.
One good shot for everyone aboard that wants one,and lets see those sobs hold a whole plane full of people hostage long enough to fly into a skyscraper.

45nut

4v50 Gary
June 19, 2004, 05:48 PM
Battle of Britain.

jeff-10
June 19, 2004, 05:48 PM
Band of Brothers in my personal favorite. I might be a little biased though since the 506th is my old unit.

Ky Larry
June 19, 2004, 08:02 PM
Cross of Iron.

smokemaker
June 19, 2004, 09:08 PM
Blackhawk Down hit me way too hard as I knew CW4 Walcott personally. Couldn't finish it... It just crushed me to. Band of Brothers was incredible, as good as the book.

RM
June 20, 2004, 09:19 PM
If you have not seen these two movies, go out and see them!

DAS BOAT- there are several versions. The longer, the better!

STALINGRAD- it is also AWESOME!

WVleo
June 21, 2004, 08:41 AM
Hi, Best yes Gettysburg !

Worst, GodAwful & Generals , Ron Maxwell and Dennis Frye screwed the pooch on this turd !..............WVleo

jdege
June 21, 2004, 11:59 AM
OK folks - how about "Aleksandr Nevsky"?

The Battle on the Ice?

HiWayMan
June 21, 2004, 12:08 PM
I have to second "The Big Red One". Lee Marvin kicks a$$.

Also, "The Dirty Dozen". It's a classic.

June 21, 2004, 12:18 PM
Best Vietnam war movie - "Go Tell The Spartans" with Burt Lancaster. Made during the war time(1966, I think). No heros or villains, just people o both sides dieing for an idea. Probably one of the best ever.

cane
June 21, 2004, 08:07 PM
I'm surprised there hasn't been more votes for 12 O'clock High. Perhaps many have only seen the TV series, and not the movie with Gregory Peck. This movie is still shown in military leadership classes. Not much shoot-em-up but a powerful movie.

If you enjoyed reading about "What's the best war movie ever made?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!