gun history question

PDA

RM
June 2, 2004, 02:06 PM
I'm interested to know about the history of rifling: when and where did it begin and who invented it? Thanks for any replies.

If you enjoyed reading about "gun history question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BigG
June 2, 2004, 02:17 PM
Somewhere in Germany during the wheellock days, c. 1450 -1500.

Checkman
June 2, 2004, 02:19 PM
I don't believe that there is any one person who is credited with rifling. Like the previous poster said I've always understood that rifling started with German/Swiss gunsmiths.

murrie
June 2, 2004, 02:20 PM
I dont think anyone has credit for inventing rifling, I think it was one of those lucking accidents.

If I remember correctly some musket maker started putting "grooves" in their barrels to allow them to shoot for longer periods of time before becoming too fouled with powder (crap fills up grooves before filling up the barrel).
Someone noticed that depending on how the grooves where cut into the barrel the shots went much straighter and the idea caught on.

TallPine
June 2, 2004, 02:26 PM
I dont think anyone has credit for inventing rifling, I think it was one of those lucking accidents.
But arrow fletching was done at a slight angle so that an arrow would spin in flight, so the principle was apparently already known.

Not that big a jump to try to apply it to a firearm ....

BigG
June 2, 2004, 02:26 PM
Hi Murrie - I am also an Alanter Jawjer resident. :cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "gun history question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!