Put my money where my mouth is.

PDA

Checkman
June 2, 2004, 01:16 PM
Well I was just informed that I am now my department's newest firearms instructor (I went out for the position). I went for it for numerous reasons. I like to shoot and the rangemasters have access to all the toys, I'll get to attend some excellent training, I like working with other shooters,I'm not a natural shot and I can understand the troubles that other shooters experience etc. etc.

But despite all of these reasons I'm very aware of the fact that I now have to actually do the walk. Anyway I'd be lying if I also didn't admit that I'm pretty pleased to have achieved this position. (sound of my own horn blowing).

If you enjoyed reading about "Put my money where my mouth is." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RVSinOK
June 2, 2004, 01:36 PM
Congratulations! Sounds like a job that would make going to work a fun thing! :D

thumbody
June 2, 2004, 02:18 PM
Well done .
Good luck
have fun with the toys:

Preacherman
June 2, 2004, 03:01 PM
Congratulations!

Of course, now that you have training access to a shooting range, we expect to see an announcement from you shortly about the "THR Idaho Regional Shoot"! :D

PATH
June 2, 2004, 04:32 PM
Good luck with the new job and I am sure you can walk the walk!

Standing Wolf
June 2, 2004, 06:48 PM
Knowledge is meant to be shared, not hoarded. Congratulations, and the best of success to you!

RED-DOG 40
June 2, 2004, 06:51 PM
Outstanding....:cool:

orangeninja
June 2, 2004, 07:00 PM
Thats awsome....I tried for that, but wound up Intel....:uhoh:

Go figure.:D

bigjim
June 2, 2004, 07:18 PM
Checkman said: I'm very aware of the fact that I now have to actually do the walk.

Agree 100%! You must be able to demonstrate any skill you are teaching on demand stone cold with out warm up. This is very difficult when teaching advanced firearms skills. Not many can do it.

It is common knowledge but unfortuneately not common practice that you must never ask another person to do something that you can not or will not do yourself.

I recently attended a NRA instructors course and the instructor was lacking in skills. After he proved his lack of competence several times I just could never get past it and give his words any respect.

Best of luck and train hard.

TechBrute
June 2, 2004, 07:20 PM
tried for that, but wound up Intel.... Won't touch that one. :D

Good job!

Warren
June 2, 2004, 07:31 PM
Promise that you won't be like that one trainer that insisted on a clean range and thus had his students drop their empties into their off hand. Later two of his trainees were found dead with their empties in their off hands!

Cannot remember where I read that at but I was horrified.

I hope it is an urban legend.

Ala Dan
June 2, 2004, 10:11 PM
Congrat's there ole' buddy- I know you will enjoy
that position! :uhoh: :cool: :D

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

orangeninja
June 2, 2004, 11:12 PM
"I hope it is an urban legend."

Actually that story was published in one of the Calibre Press books. I believe it was the "Tactical Edge".

The story was a police range instructor taught all cadets to empty their casings into their hands and put them in their pocket THEN reload, placing the speed loader in their pockets.

A couple of his trainees were later found dead, with empties in pockets and no rounds in the wheel.

I believe that is the correct story. Don't ask me which Dept. I don't remember.

HSMITH
June 2, 2004, 11:35 PM
Checkman, shoot decently but coach well. How many coaches of professional athletes have you seen that could make it one day on the court/field/course/whatever? Your job is to facilitate the improvement of the officers that pass through your training, not to be some ninja supernevermiss guy. A little humility will earn lots of points too when the time comes.

Keep in mind that the department sends you to training since they feel you are most qualified to bring back the knowledge gained and teach it to others, they didn't pick you because you haven't missed the X in months.

To have recieved the trainer position you have worked hard, are very competent in your own shooting and posess the skills needed to help the others get to a higher level. Pat yourself on the back every night that you did your best today, that is the satisfaction a firearms trainer gets and values most highly. You as a shooter are going to get a lot better learning how to teach it, but that is just a side benefit. The student comes first.

Hope I don't sound like I am preaching. I was handgun, shotgun and rifle instructor to dozens of men that went into harms way repeatedly. I thank the Lord above none of my guys had to shoot but I did my best to prepare them to WIN! Good luck and best wishes.

Checkman
June 3, 2004, 12:27 PM
Thanks for the great replys. I appreciate them. I'm looking forward to attending the training and training other officers - especially our new officers. I am going to do my best to do away with some of the strange ideas that many of our new hires bring with them. You know what I'm talking about - the shotgun blast that blows a guy off of his feet, the perfect one shot stop, etc.

I've also heard the ones about the dead officer, but in the version I've come across the officer was forced into a bathroom and was killed there in a gunfight. The officers working the scene found his empties in the toilet. In this story the officer's department emphasized that they empty their brass into a bucket. I first heard this from one of our instructors at the academy. We also saw the Gladiola video -anybody familiar with this one?

Well whatever the truth this tale has had an effect on how some departments conduct training. I've seen some changes in how we train to reload in the past four years. We all carry semi-autos by the way.

Should be interesting. During his last fifteen years as a police officer my dad was a firearms instructor. He was very pleased when I told him last night. I guess he's forgiven me for going into investigations (he was a uniform officer for his 24 years).

SKN
June 4, 2004, 04:35 AM
Congratulations!

If ID has a state LE firearms instructors association join it and the International Association of Law Enforcement Firearms Instructors (www.ialefi.com). IALEFI runs regional and an annual national training conference, they publish a quarterly magazine, and they have a internet board for its members.

Try to attend the NRA's LE Division firearms instructor programs and, close to your neck of the woods, any instructor classes done by Jim Crews (www.marksmans.com). Jim's books are excellent reference sources and of particular use to you might be 'From Behind The Line'. You might also take a look through Gabe Suarez's 'Reality Based Gunfighting'.

Always remember that we are all students. Keeping 'em safe will be reward enough.

If you enjoyed reading about "Put my money where my mouth is." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!