So what should I, the California expat, buy?

PDA

pittspilot
June 2, 2004, 11:07 PM
I have lived in California since 1984.

After this stinkin Bar exam, I will be moving to Arizona.

To celebrate this move, I plan on buying the most un-PC gun that I can that is not FA or more then about $600. I am buying this gun merely because I can. I am like a man emerging from the desert. I could just have some tap water, but there is the nectar of the Gods to be sampled.

Where should I begin? An AR-15? An AK? CETME? 30 Round mags for my SKS? A Saiga shotgun? Or should I wait until September and really go wild?

I don't meant to sound like a kid in a candy store, but c'mon ;)

BTW, I do plan on getting my CCW first thing.

If you enjoyed reading about "So what should I, the California expat, buy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sunray
June 2, 2004, 11:12 PM
I'd go with the AR. Inexpensive ammo that's easy to come by. You know you have to be living in Az for a while before you can get the CCW don't you?

El Tejon
June 2, 2004, 11:14 PM
A spot in the first available API 250.

pittspilot
June 2, 2004, 11:24 PM
"I'd go with the AR. Inexpensive ammo that's easy to come by. You know you have to be living in Az for a while before you can get the CCW don't you?"

I disagree.

Arizona issues non-resident permits. (http://www.packing.org/state/index.jsp/arizona) The only requirement is that the 16 hour class has to be taken in AZ.

Stickjockey
June 2, 2004, 11:29 PM
Ya's gots ta git da chrome AK!! (Switch optional, of course.)

Preacherman
June 2, 2004, 11:31 PM
I second El T - get a class at Gunsite! You'll gain tremendous benefits, and never forget the experience. Guns you can buy anyday!

Valkman
June 2, 2004, 11:35 PM
The CCW thing sounds like what I did here when I moved from CA - I applied for a non-resident permit long before I moved but didn't get it until after I moved. So I have a permit good for 3 years instead of 5.

My first purchases were 2 Series I Kimbers, but both were well over $600. I had an AR that was legal in CA because of when I bought it, so it wasn't a big deal to me to get one but it may be for you. That's what I'd probably get if you can find one for that much. :)

boofus
June 2, 2004, 11:40 PM
Global Trades (http://www.globaltrades.com) has their SSR-56-2 Bulgarian AK clones for $460. These are much higher quality than the SAR rifles and the people at www.ak-47.net rave about them.

natedog
June 2, 2004, 11:47 PM
Quality AR will run a bit more than $600. You can get a really cheap AK-47 clone for $300 (SAR-1), but if you want a really high quality AK clone, look at the SLR-95s and Veprs, both in the $600. I don't have any first hand experience with these guns, but from what I've gathered is that they are very good rifles.

pittspilot
June 2, 2004, 11:58 PM
You guys with the classes are no fun :neener:

Can't you let a guy wander the candy shop?

Plus, I am going to be a new attorney, and those don't get a whole lot of time off.

I am considering an AR parts kit. I am only a quarter through the reading over at AR15.com that I need to do.

I guess I will have to handle an AK and an AR back to back to make a decision.

Dave R
June 3, 2004, 01:12 AM
When I went through a similar thought process with a smaller budget, I decided on the most politically in-correct rifle I could get. An AK. Have enjoyed it ever since.

I agree that $600 will buy a pretty poor AR. But it will but a great AK (plus a couple cases of ammo and still leave some for a .22.)

wasrjoe
June 3, 2004, 01:15 AM
AK AK AK!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
KKKKKKKKAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

At least for the monetary amount you list I think it's the most versatile EBR you can get.

loose cannon
June 3, 2004, 02:21 AM
id get a sar-1 romainian ak buy the folder stock from fed arms and mate the 2 midnite 9/13 for the real deal anti pc gun. your milage may vary .look at them, play with them. kinda like picking a lady:evil:

angrywalkindude
June 3, 2004, 04:05 AM
I would be buying the 30 rounders for the sks on my first day in AZ. Then after my ears quit ringing and my fingers healed up from loading and reloading magazines I would go shopping.

Smoke
June 3, 2004, 11:30 AM
Kinda gotta go with the class recommendation.

I am always more giddy after school than after a purchase.

If you insist on a firearm, how about a nice 1911 or an AR. Or a Benelli auto loader (OK that might be pushing the budget ;) )

SKS are fun and cheap, spend the balance on ammo.

Smoke

JamisJockey
June 3, 2004, 12:03 PM
Under $600?
Ak with eeevvvilllll black furniture, and a murderous 75 round drum mag!
:evil:

Pilgrim
June 3, 2004, 01:07 PM
Be sure to send pictures of you with your politically incorrect weapon to your former governor and legislators. Explain to them that you are now paying taxes to the state of Arizona.

Pilgrim

jamz
June 3, 2004, 03:15 PM
AK.

FWIW, I'm in the same boat. I'll probably be escaping Massachusetts for a home in Maine, and the first thing I want to do is buy one of the many handguns that are illegal in the state of MA.

I'm imagining it's a GREAT feeling. :D

-James

firearms_instructor
June 3, 2004, 04:12 PM
"Be sure to send pictures of you with your politically incorrect weapon to your former governor and legislators. Explain to them that you are now paying taxes to the state of Arizona." - HOOO-RAAAH!!!

Yes, absolutely, rub their noses in it, especially the fact that their stupid state laws aren't gonna keep pittspilot from having what he wants. Pittspilot, if you REALLY wanted to rub their noses in it (as I would), include an estimate of HOW MUCH revenue Kauliforneeya is not gonna get especially now that you're going to make some real money. I'm thinking along the lines of one of those MasterCard commercials, perhaps yet another Oleg Volk poster project (yea, baby!):

Cost of fleeing the PDRK: $x,xxx.xx
Cost of new home in a free state (AZ): $xxx,xxx.xx
Cost of "most un-PC gun that I can find": $6xx.xx
Annual revenue PDRK wil no longer collect from me: $xx,xxx.xx
Living free in AZ with "most un-PC gun that I can find": PRICELESS!!!

BTW, my vote would be for AK or CETME. AK ammo is much cheaper, but CETME is more powerful. Both are very reliable if you get good ones. If you're a recoil wuss go with the AK, or make sure you get a good muzzle brake for the CETME. Of course the "Ak with eeevvvilllll black furniture, and a murderous 75 round drum mag!" sounds really good to me.

M1911Owner
June 3, 2004, 04:35 PM
So what should I, the California expat, buy?* A heavy coat.

* A warm hat.

* A windshield scraper.

* Antifreeze.

* And a heavy-duty air conditioner for the rest of the year.

JamisJockey
June 3, 2004, 05:46 PM
* A windshield scraper.

He won't need that in Arizona. Read his post a little more carefully.

:banghead:

El Tejon
June 3, 2004, 06:44 PM
Atc, I needed a scraper in the GWR. All those flyers from the 4:30 dinner buffets stuck to my windshield.:D

wasrjoe
June 3, 2004, 07:32 PM
* A heavy coat.

Nope.

* A warm hat.

Nope.

* A windshield scraper.

Nope.

* Antifreeze.

Nope.

* And a heavy-duty air conditioner for the rest of the year.

Yes!!!

Mauserlady
June 3, 2004, 07:37 PM
Cost of "most un-PC gun that I can find": $6xx.xx
Living free in AZ with "most un-PC gun that I can find": PRICELESS!!!

http://www.coneville.com/mauserlady/smilies/lool.gif

T-Minus 3 yrs and 1 wk and I will take the pictures to complete the scenario...

tex_n_cal
June 3, 2004, 07:40 PM
I escaped last month:D

I was actually gonna buy something not readily available in CA, like a Colt Delta Elite - or a BHP with hi cap mags, but in the end bought a NRM 1991A1 stainless - it was too good to pass up.

I'm not a big fancier of black rifles...but I might have to think about an AR, or something similar, just on general principles.

For you? AK all the way, baby:D

firearms_instructor
June 3, 2004, 09:06 PM
The only reason I never bought an AK was purely political, I never wanted to enrich any communist regimes, you see... From time to time I consider kicking myself for not having the sense to buy one when I could have had it, plus 1K rounds for $225. Sheesh...

I mighta fired one once, never owned one. I know from rifle competition that they are reliable as heck, but then, so is my HK-91, at about 6X the price...

pittspilot, go watch an IPSC-style rifle competition, if you can find one, just for the heck of it, and try to fire as many different rifles as you can. Good luck!

carp killer
June 3, 2004, 09:48 PM
AK, AR, FAL

At least in Kali you could buy A handgun. AW's, NO WAY.

Sending pictures is an excellent idea.

wasrjoe
June 3, 2004, 09:52 PM
Pitt, once you actually move down here, you can feel free to take my AK for a test drive to see if you really want one. :D

M1911Owner
June 3, 2004, 10:08 PM
He won't need that in Arizona. Read his post a little more carefully.I guess I was under the misimpression that it gets below freezing in Arizona at some point during the winter. Sorry 'bout that. :o :)

Valkman
June 3, 2004, 11:14 PM

I love it - when I left CA I sold the house I'd had for 5 years for a profit of over $125k. Then we bought a house here in Vegas that was twice the size and has twice the lot for $30k more than what the old one sold for. Now this house has gone up - get this - almost $200k in value since last September. Not only is freedom nice, it's been very profitable! :D

I'm on Long Term Disability, and my company is based in CA. So I still pull money from there but don't have to pay taxes. Take that Ahhhnuld! :D

pittspilot
June 4, 2004, 11:43 AM
"Under $600?
Ak with eeevvvilllll black furniture, and a murderous 75 round drum mag!"

That's the spirit :evil:

"Kinda gotta go with the class recommendation."

Currently, I am studying for the bar, which is why I can only reply sporadically.

Bar study is 4 hours of class a day, followed by 8 hours of study. That's 6 days a week. On my day off I get to study about 6 hours.

After this, I will not want to attend any class for a little while. Besides, I want my CCW first.

"Be sure to send pictures of you with your politically incorrect weapon to your former governor and legislators. Explain to them that you are now paying taxes to the state of Arizona."

Pilgrim, that is an inspired idea!

"pittspilot, go watch an IPSC-style rifle competition, if you can find one, just for the heck of it, and try to fire as many different rifles as you can. Good luck!"

I did IPSC out here and enjoyed it, but was limited to Mini-14's and the like.

"Pitt, once you actually move down here, you can feel free to take my AK for a test drive to see if you really want one"

I look forward to it.

If you enjoyed reading about "So what should I, the California expat, buy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!