gun under pillow solution?

PDA

buy guns
June 3, 2004, 12:55 PM
so yesterday i was reading an older thread asking if anyone slept with a gun under their pillow. the main concerns seemed to be either shooting yourself while sleeping or knocking the gun off the bed.

so why dont any holster companies make pillow cases with a holster built into them? the holster could even be detachable so you can carry with it during the day.

If you enjoyed reading about "gun under pillow solution?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JamisJockey
June 3, 2004, 01:00 PM
You could always just hang it behind the headboard or off the head-end of the mattress. Or maybe a gunrug, unzipped.

Tamara
June 3, 2004, 01:06 PM
No, no, no...

The bed goes into the corner, and you pile your stuffed animal collection on the bed, in the corner between the walls. The .38 goes under the big ol' teddy bear at the bottom of the pile. You know, the one next to the talking stuffed teletubby and under the Resevoir Dogs poster and the autographed Dick Kramer poster you got at SHOT Show '03.... :uhoh:

Should I ever get sent up for something, the psychiatrists are going to have a field day with my crib. :o

Sunray
June 3, 2004, 01:25 PM
When I lived in the slums of Guelph, I had my HP under the pillow. Mag in, nothing in chamber. It never once tried to do anything to me. It's an inanimate object. It can't do anything to you.

angrywalkindude
June 3, 2004, 02:10 PM
My dad has slept with his pistol under the pillows for as long as I can remember and he keeps one in the chamber.

BHPshooter
June 3, 2004, 02:26 PM
Here's how I do it:
http://www.hunt101.com/img/130356.bmp

The pistol is pointing up (relative to me) with the butt out. This way, it is pointing in a safe direction, and is in easy grasp whether I'm sleeping on my back or on my stomach. Of course, it's always in a holster that covers the trigger and safety.

Wes

AZ Jeff
June 3, 2004, 02:51 PM
I think the gun under the pillow thing depends mostly on the gun. If you are using a SA autoloader (or maybe a Glock), then a container/cover/holster over the piece might be prudent.

If, on the other hand, you have a DA revolver like I have, or a DA self-loader, then NOTHING is going to possibly happen under that pillow unless I make a conscience effort to do so.

sendec
June 3, 2004, 03:00 PM
deleted

Ktulu
June 3, 2004, 03:06 PM
...and you pile your stuffed animal collection on the bed...

Um...ahh... oh nevermind!

sturmruger
June 3, 2004, 03:07 PM
My problem is I tend to sleep with my hand or arms under my pillow. I cannot come up with any good reason for putting your gun under your pillow. I think one of those bed holsters would be allot better idea.

I tend to have allot of wild shootem up dreams. My concern would be that in my dream state I would get a hold of my gun and pull the trigger!!! Oh and what do you do if you and you SO start rolling around in bed??? Seems like a loaded gun might get in the way.

Herself
June 3, 2004, 03:15 PM
Under the pillow? ...How still you must sleep! Me, I have been known to wake up at the opposite end of the bed from where I started, with the covers in shuffled order. How this happens is a mystery; I sleep through it!

So the sidearm goes on my nightstand, next to the 1938 shortwave receiver and the maglight, a spot where the cats won't step on it. And the honkin' big survival knife goes between the mattress and the bedframe. Now, the bear traps....

Well, no. My spouse kinda frowns on bear traps, and they'd make me worry about the safety of our cats. And the cats are the second line of defense!

--Herself

mcneill
June 3, 2004, 04:25 PM
This thread reminds me of a movie from long ago. IIRC, Michael Caine in "The Ipcress File" put his pistol under the pillow. But the next morning he spent some time rummaging through the covers - finally found the pistol at the foot of the bed. Funny scene.

Jim

SapperLeader
June 3, 2004, 04:47 PM
I often sleep with my arm under my pillow, so I tend to push the pillow off the bed in the middle of the night, so a gun under the pillow doesnt work for me. What I do is keep my pistol in a wilderness safepacker holster, attacked to the bedframe, which is by my head. the gun doesnt move, is easily accessable, and the safepacker doubles as my backpacking holster.

Standing Wolf
June 3, 2004, 09:03 PM
Naw, heck. I just wear a shoulder holster to bed.

spacemanspiff
June 3, 2004, 09:14 PM
one morning i woke up, couldnt figure out where my pillow was. looked all over the place. wasnt behind or under the bed, wasnt anywhere on the floor.
then i looked in the window and the pillow was wedged in between the window and the frame. i had no recollection of doing it during the night so i blamed my nephews, well i asked them why they did it, but it wasnt them.
it was me.

so now i leave my gun on the nightstand, in case i do any other weird things in my sleep.

Don Gwinn
June 3, 2004, 09:21 PM
Naw, heck. I just wear a shoulder holster to bed.
OK, Sledge. ;)

pinblaster
June 3, 2004, 09:25 PM
I am also an active sleeper. I cant keep my gun anywhere in my bed so I keep it hidden and within reach.

Zach S
June 3, 2004, 09:26 PM
My mattress is unsafe for anything other than me. Its not unusual for me to wake up and only have one sheet on the bed, the one I'm covered with. The fitted sheet is normally found in the floor at the foot of the bed. I sleep with two pillows, yet always wake up with one. I cant sleep with a gun under the pillow, since I'll have no idea where it would be if I needed it.

I have a cheap holster mounted to the bottom of my bed.

pax
June 3, 2004, 09:40 PM
The .38 goes under the big ol' teddy bear at the bottom of the pile. You know, the one next to the talking stuffed teletubby and under the Resevoir Dogs poster and the autographed Dick Kramer poster you got at SHOT Show '03...
A talking Teletubby?

Heh. Even the ones on TV don't do that.

pax

The Swedish Chef is my favorite muppet. – Don Gwinn

shep854
June 3, 2004, 09:44 PM
...then there was the por soul who kept his revolver on the bedstand next to the phone. One night the phone rang, he reached out, brought his hand to his ear....

Really happened.

CentralTexas
June 3, 2004, 10:01 PM
is how my AR15 pokes out from both sides of the pillow! ;)

Treylis
June 3, 2004, 10:24 PM
I just put my piece on a bookshelf right next to the bed. It's going to get moved around if it's under a pillow, the way I sleep.

firearms_instructor
June 3, 2004, 11:23 PM
I sleep like an electric mixer, and have to flip and fluff my pillow several times per night. My pistol would probably end up between the mattress and headboard, requiring serious digging to retrieve. The nightstand drawer is close enough and secure enough.

I have a very secure front door, and I'm upstairs around a corner. I'm not worried. I have a great tactical advantage, and I know my way around my place in the dark. My wife has her own pistol in easy reach as well.

George Hill
June 3, 2004, 11:58 PM
"you pile your stuffed animal collection on the bed..."

And just how many guys here have a stuffed animal collection on the bed?
:scrutiny:

19112XS
June 4, 2004, 12:07 AM
Tamera, I'm…I'm shocked :eek: You admit to the entire world that you sleep with…with a .38. I would have thought that the Pro would enjoy that position.

Model520Fan
June 4, 2004, 12:33 AM
I don't think that there is one right way, primarily because we do not all sleep the same way. Twenty years ago, I used to consider an S&W Model 40 quite safe under my pillow, and I still believe that it was. Now, I consider any gun under my pillow as less than optimally safe, and usually have something a little more powerful and a little less foolproof than a Centennial.

Most of us know ourselves well enough to know what is possible, particularly those who have a wife's observations on behavior during sleeping hours. Anyone intelligent enough to own a gun responsibly, which is almost every one of us, is intelligent enough to figure out how and where a gun should be stowed during sleeping hours.

BHPshooter
June 4, 2004, 12:45 AM
What really bothers me is how my AR15 pokes out from both sides of the pillow!

BWAHAHAHAHA!!! :D

You get a gold star for thinking outside the box. :D
Wes

RevDisk
June 4, 2004, 12:47 AM
I just keep my SAR-1 next to my bed when I sleep. (Uhm, it gets lonely in the safe?) Definitely need to add the bayonet lugs when the AWB sunsets.

I think a AK knockoff with a 40 rd magazine and a bayonet would definitely give an intruder a phobia of breaking and entering. Glad I'm not in a People's Republic, they'd probably make me pay for his therapy.

Perhaps I should also keep a camera handy to capture the really surprised look on any intruder's face?

Darrin
June 4, 2004, 12:54 AM
With my old king size bed, I had a .40 under my pillow and a 12ga on the other half of the bed.

Currently I only have a .357 under the pillow. (and maybe a derringer next to the bed along with a 12ga by the door)

Smoke
June 5, 2004, 03:08 AM
And just how many guys here have a stuffed animal collection on the bed?

Maybe the question should be: "Just how many guys here admit to having a stuffed animal collection on the bed? :D

With my old king size bed, I had a .40 under my pillow and a 12ga on the other half of the bed.

A girl works much better in the spot occupied by the gauge.

Just my $0.02

Smoke

Sindawe
June 5, 2004, 03:38 AM
not that I do this. My solution differs, and I ain't talking :neener:

Waterbed frame, keep water mattress or replace w/ air mattress. 'Tween the frame and the mattress, tuck 12 Guage, loaded with ammution of choice. At head or primary side of lightest sleeper/best shot. 2nd shotgun or pistol/carbine at head/side of 2nd shooter.

jacketch
June 5, 2004, 10:44 AM
A big enough pistol in a padded holster and you won't need a pillow:D

Zedicus
June 5, 2004, 01:25 PM
IE: Tarrus .454 Raging Bull?

sendec
June 5, 2004, 01:48 PM
Sleep on a water bed

Overfill bed until ready to burst

Intruder enters. Shoot mattress with gun under pillow that otherwise leaves funny lines shaped like a pistol on your face when you wake up. High pressure tactical tsunami flushes intruder from room while exploding mattress catapults homeowner to ceiling, where he/she siezes BUG from light fixture.

Splash down. Emerge from water like Martin Sheen in Apocalypse Now, but a mean, violent, Conservative Martin Sheen. Finish off intruder by drowning. Dry room completely.

When police respond, do not consent to search and act outraged at any implication that you could be involved in a mysterious drowning that occurred on the 17th floor of an apartment building.

I would never sleep with a gun within arm's length of the bed - I'm married:uhoh:

Dr.Rob
June 5, 2004, 06:15 PM
Keep it in a rug or in a holster under the pillow NEXT to you. Woke up with a funny crick in my neck sleeping on a 44.

The waterbed reply was funny.

Tam's reply made me think "Don't make me reach for Mr. Snuggles!" He's packing serious heat.

I used to have a waterbed frame I converted to a regular mattress... there was 6 inch gap at the bottom of the bed. So I filled the gap with a couple of Navajo blankets.. and a double barrel shotgun. My girlfriend never knew it was there.

Justin
June 5, 2004, 06:46 PM
There's a reason for why they invented the bedside nightstand.

"One day you're gonna lay down too hard on one of those things and blow your head off." -Buscemi, "Desperado"

Diamondback
June 5, 2004, 08:01 PM
After considerable reflection I have come to what I think to be a reasonable compromise: all my guns go under the pillow............and I sleep in the safe.

CrudeGT
June 5, 2004, 11:37 PM
I have a tendency to throw things that are in the hands when I fall asleep. I know from one day waking up, and the only memory I from the nght before is falling asleep while talking on the cordless phone. Cordless phone is broken and a large hole a appeared in the wall. Dad never beleived that rabid varmint excuse.

I sleep with my gun on a shelf in my nightstand, about 2 feet from my head. And my shotgun (unchambered, something about the sound of racking the slide, I think it'll have a greater affect on an intruder than my running out with the gun), is kept in between bed and nightstand, about a foot and a half to the right.

I read someone elses idea of how this sort of thing would go, if he woke up to intruder. Something like this

"i wake to hear something break and someone mumble in angression in my kitchen. I quietly, sit up in bed, and slip into my combat gear, put my glasses on, and grab my rifle, equiped with bayonnet. And I charge into the kitchen. I feel the terror will likely scare the intruder away. Not the terror from my rifle, but the terror coming mostly from my 'combat gear' which consists of a WWII army helmet, mil spec combat boots, and military issue boxers,with ruber duckies on them":D

If you enjoyed reading about "gun under pillow solution?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!