My letter to the Governator.

PDA

fjolnirsson
June 3, 2004, 04:52 PM
I sent this to my Governor today. Tell me what you think. Please, don't tell me how futile it is, or how nobody should vote for him, or that his position is expected. I know all of that. I simply want a critique of my letter and it's content. Did I keep it simple enough? Is it well written? Any suggestions?

Governor Schwarzenegger,

In the recent election, I voted for you. I did so for a number of reasons. I have long considered you a shining example of what made this country great. You came here as an immigrant, and achieved the success which has traditionally been the American dream. Having achieved success, you did not stop there, but chose to share your wealth and life experience in the many programs for children which you have participated in. I look to you, not merely as the Governor of my state, but as a role model for today's youth.
I am pleased with the changes you have made in CA thus far. You have shown true effort to make a change. Already, you have done more for CA than Davis ever has. I had hoped to vote for you again in the next election. Sadly, I may be forced to do otherwise. Today I learned that you support the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, which is set to expire in September. This law has done nothing to curb crime, and is actively endangering our soldiers overseas. Parents across the US have endeavored to send their sons replacement magazines upon learning of faulty ones. These parents are stymied by the AWB.
A large part of my decision to vote for you stemmed from my belief that, as a Republican, you would uphold my right to keep and bear arms. I was hoping for your support in changing our concealed weapons laws to shall issue. I was deeply dismayed to learn this is not the case.
Please, sir, support the sunset of the AWB. Support Shall Issue CCW for CA voters. Uphold our rights, and we will surely keep you in office.
It may seem to you that I am a one issue voter. This is true. My belief is that if a politician does not support my right to keep and bear arms, he does not trust me with a gun. What does a law abiding politician have to fear from a law abiding gun owner? An anti-gun politician will never receive my vote. And I vote in every election.
I appreciate your time, and look forward to your response. Please, keep my vote in your favor. Prove to me that my vote was not wasted.

Byron XXXXXXXX

If you enjoyed reading about "My letter to the Governator." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
porciniman
June 3, 2004, 06:15 PM
fjolnirsson says..."It may seem to you that I am a one issue voter"

Well buddy, you are not alone!!

"Please, don't tell me how futile it is, or how nobody should vote for him, or that his position is expected."

This is not futile!!! Your vote counts as much as any other, and to believe that this movie star, having been cast in countless films depicting ..let's blow up the world.. When did he become an anti???
Now that he is the leading rep of those who voted for him..do you not ever believe that this Prussian immigrant will ever forget his roots, nor how he got to the position of power he has.
He can just as easily be voted out of office!!
Remember, he only got there because the other guy sucked sooooo much!!
We are the reason they are in office, and we are reason they are voted out..
Bravo for your guts.
VB

fjolnirsson
June 3, 2004, 06:19 PM
Thanks. I had to put in the disclaimer to ward off those replies I would have inevitably gotten otherwise.
I believe in what I do, and that is enough for me.

rick_reno
June 3, 2004, 07:02 PM
An excellent example of what happens when you buy into the "lessor of two evils" voting stragegy. Remember it in Nov. when you vote for Bush, who has voiced support for extending the AWB.

fjolnirsson
June 3, 2004, 07:35 PM
Remember it in Nov. when you vote for Bush

Not I, sir! Shame on you for suggesting it! I live in a "non-play" state, and shall vote for Badnarik.
Actually, The Governator was the only candidate who came close to my beliefs at the time, in that he wanted to reduce spending.

jnojr
June 3, 2004, 07:42 PM
Good letter.

It never ceases to amaze me how many "pro rights" folks will take the time to bash someone for writing such a letter, but won't take the time to send an email to their Assembly representative or Congressperson.

If Ahhnuhld received 100,00 of these letters, he'd have to stop and re-think his position.

Third_Rail
June 3, 2004, 07:44 PM
Governor Schwarzenegger

I'll never get used to hearing that phrase. Ever.

It's like my dad had a weird dream and it came true. Those Arnie fans, I swear... :rolleyes:

Standing Wolf
June 3, 2004, 08:16 PM
Never—ever—trust a R.I.N.O.

txgho1911
June 3, 2004, 09:57 PM
He will not read this letter directly. A position on one issue may get recorded by someone in his staff.
One sugjestion for cali constituents. Send Arnold links to the California RKBA websites. Sugjest the respected works of John Lott and the Founding Fathers. Maybe a recomendation for back to basics and the original intent of the 2nd Amndmt may make an impression. The laws are stopping the law abiding only. We know that. Arnold is an immigrant and should know this. The Cuban American knows this. The German Jew knows this as well. California is full of people. If the taxes and other govt. mistakes have not run you out; the weather keeps you where you call home. Kids and resonsibility keep you where you call home.
Why only send the letter. Start a newspaper or request a face to face meeting.
Good luck! Let fredom ring.

Lone_Gunman
June 4, 2004, 12:48 AM
Today I learned that you support the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban, which is set to expire in September.

You just found this out? I live in Georgia, and don't make any particular attempt to follow California politics, but I believe Arnold was on record as supporting the AWB before the election.

Doesnt that then make it your fault for voting for him?

carpettbaggerr
June 4, 2004, 01:51 AM
Yeah, Arnold's much worse than Gray Davis. Or Bustamante. :rolleyes:

Treylis
June 4, 2004, 03:01 AM
Never—ever—trust a R.I.N.O.

Not like you can trust most regular Republicans. And the people we decry as RINOs today will just be folks toeing the standard party line in the not-too-distant future.

Vote for inconsistency and you'll get exactly what you voted for--a stab in the back.

fjolnirsson
June 4, 2004, 06:38 AM
Doesnt that then make it your fault for voting for him?
Let's see. My realistic choices were:
Arnie, who may or may not support the AWB(at the time, I hadn't been up on my movie star politics:rolleyes: )and who had a glimmerring of idea how to get the state back on track,
Davis, who actively supported the AWB, and is a total tool besides,
Or Bustamante, who is a member of MECHA and an unapologetic supporter of Aztlan.
Hmmm.
:rolleyes:

Lone_Gunman
June 4, 2004, 07:57 AM
McClintock would have been a realistic choice if everyone in California who owned a gun had chosen to vote for him, and he is against renewal of the ban.

Looks like Californians would learn that the lesser of two evils is still, guess what? Evil.

You voted for your candidate, and got what you were voting for, I see no reason for you to complain.

fjolnirsson
June 4, 2004, 08:44 AM
You voted for your candidate, and got what you were voting for
Yep, we got a Governor who has fulfilled his promises so far.
McClintock lost badly in the polls, or I might have voted for him. It was a 3 way race, plain and simple. Schwarzenegger actually had a viable plan to bring the state out of the hole Davis put us in, by taking the legislature to task. He's doing it. My complaint about him is his support of a Federal law which, even if repealed, will have no effect on Californians. Nevertheless, I am writing to him in support of RKBA.
I voted my conscience, trying to do what was best for our state. I make no apologies for that. Would I vote the same today? I'll wait for his reply to decide.
An openly pro gun candidate has zero chance here in CA. Our only hope is gradual reversal, and the sneaking in of RKBA supporters who aren't open about it.
Aren't we supposed to work on the Anti's? Isn't every anti we win over a member of RKBA? I guess I shouldn't have written the letter. I guess I shouldn't "complain".:rolleyes:

Lone_Gunman
June 4, 2004, 09:03 AM
I guess I shouldn't have written the letter. I guess I shouldn't "complain".

No its fine to complain, and I encourage you to do so, maybe it will have some effect, though I doubt it.

A better place to complain, though, is in the voting booth. I will reiterate that McClintock would have been a viable candidate if gun owners had chosen to support him. Instead, everyone heard that "polls" showed he could not win, so no one voted for him. A self fulfilling prophesy.

What surprises me about this is that a lot of people didnt seem to realize that Arnold was an Anti even though he freely admitted it before the election. Earlier this year, a lot of people who voted for GW Bush expressed dismay that he would support renewal of the AWB also, despite the fact that he freely campaigned as a supporter of renewal.

People need to look past whethere someone is a Republican or Democrat, and actually listen to what the candidates say. Being a Republican by no means ensures a candidate will be any more pro-gun than a Democrat.

A gun ban is a gun ban, and I dont feel any better about it if it was signed by a Republican.

fjolnirsson
June 4, 2004, 09:24 AM
People need to look past whethere someone is a Republican or Democrat, and actually listen to what the candidates say. Being a Republican by no means ensures a candidate will be any more pro-gun than a Democrat.
Absolutely. I've learned that.

Earlier this year, a lot of people who voted for GW Bush expressed dismay that he would support renewal of the AWB also, despite the fact that he freely campaigned as a supporter of renewal.

That's why I didn't vote for him, and most likely won't again. Not unless he does something remarkable. What that would be, I don't know. I wish more people would vote for who they feel is best, and not the lesser of the evils. In my opinion, at the time, the Governator was our best option.

Sawdust
June 4, 2004, 10:47 AM
Good show, Byron; keep it up.

To those who are giving the man grief for not voting for McClintock:

Tom McClintock is my state senator. He was my first choice to replace Gray Davis. However, it was painfully clear that he did not have enough popular support to win the election. Realists were then, as Byron has indicated, left with two choices: Arnie or Bustamecha.

The final voting tally in the race was as follows (in millions):

3.7 for Arnie; 2.4 for Bustamecha; 1.0 for McClintock. It would have taken 1.5 million people Arnie voters to switch to McClintock in order for him to win. The polls clearly indicated that this was not going to happen.

NFW were people who leaned even *slightly* right of center going to vote for McClintock and chance diluting the vote enough to hand Bustamecha the governorship - that would have been out-and out *disaster*.

Sometimes you just have to accept reality, and settle for the lesser of two evils...just as were are facing in the presidential election this November.

Sawdust

Mute
June 4, 2004, 12:20 PM
I would have love to have seen McClintock become CA's governor, but this IS **********. There was no way in hell that it would have happened. Your all under the wrong assumption that most Kali gunowers would have supported him. A good portion of the gunowers in this state are probably liberal leaning politically, and for the rest, gun ownership is very low on their priorty totem pole if at all.

In case you want to know, I voted for McClintock anyways. I already knew Arnie was going to win, so I thought I might as well make a statement with my vote.

Lone_Gunman
June 4, 2004, 12:58 PM
Sometimes you just have to accept reality, and settle for the lesser of two evils...just as were are facing in the presidential election this November.

OK, but if you vote for the lesser of two evils, then why complain that your "less or two evils" candidate did something the he said he was going to do?

Sawdust
June 4, 2004, 01:26 PM
Because you just *might* get him to change his mind.

Or, since he has already publicly stated his position this time, maybe next time he'll give it some more thought and the result will be more palatable to "us".

You have to keep "banging away". The OP is doing just that, and he is getting his nuts hammered for it.:rolleyes:

Arnold, while not the "perfect" candidate, was/is a hell of a lot closer to being "perfect" than the only other "electable" choice.

The alternative is to do nothing...is that *your* preference?

Sawdust

If you enjoyed reading about "My letter to the Governator." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!