Stewart Form 1 supposedly approved! Legal Full-Autos on the CHEAP!

PDA

boofus
June 3, 2004, 06:21 PM
The NFA Discussion forum at http://www.subguns.com is all abuzz about this claim by someone that the ATF approved his Form 1 request to build a new machinegun. Probably a hoax, but if it's true I'm signing myself up for a new AR-15 drop in sear and a H&K sear. I'll have to see if I can find someone in-state to machine them for me. :D

This means instead of spending $14000-16000 for a registered factory M16 or registered sear MP5 you can pay the $200 creation tax, and then get a shop to build you a $30 drop-in autosear and then another $1000 on a host gun. A much better deal no? :p

Sucks, I just spent $2600 on a 1986 transferable NIB M10/9 too, but getting more full auto goodies on the cheap will make me feel better. No way in hell I'd be able to afford a MP5 or M16 otherwise.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stewart Form 1 supposedly approved! Legal Full-Autos on the CHEAP!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hkmp5sd
June 3, 2004, 07:54 PM
For some reason, the Aerosmith song Dream On just popped in my head.

Even if it is true, once it becomes known, ATF will say it was a "clerical error" and cancel it. If it is true, the guy should have kept his mouth shut and built his machinegun.

Kaxter
June 3, 2004, 08:51 PM
I just got done reading all that stuff, wow its alot of info.

Sounds like it may be legit, but I doubt it. If it is legit I am converting my fal:)

Destructo6
June 4, 2004, 12:28 AM
Probably nonsense, but there was some sort of ruling this year along the lines of, "if a machinegun is manufactured by an individual for personal use and not intended for sale, interstate commerce doesn't apply" or similar. But if that were the case, it would seem that the BATF wouldn't need to approve the Form1.

Kaxter, the link didn't work for me.

Valkman
June 4, 2004, 12:58 AM
Another guy on the forum called the ATF and talked to two different people - this is what he reported:

"I asked them what I needed to do to get MY Stewart Form 1s approved--since I just had five of them disapproved. Two different people in the office told me: "We aren't approving any Form 1s for the making of a machinegun by individuals. It must have been a mistake." So there you have it from the proverbial mouth of the proverbial horse. Nothing's changed folks, except the fact that someone (Dawn) screwed up. We all make mistakes. Just feel kinda sorry for the schmuck (LG) who's going to spend all his time and effort to make this thing only to have BATFE come knock on his door and tell him to surrender it. Remember the Cole's UZI kit fiasco? I sure do. Got two agents on my doorstep for ordering and receiving one of those. "

Kharn
June 4, 2004, 07:59 AM
Hah, the guy's not even in the 9th Circuit!
I bet some ATF Examiner is getting a serious letter of reprimand.

Kharn

El Tejon
June 4, 2004, 08:29 AM
The weapon may only be used against ninja bears and zombie pumas.:rolleyes:

Kharn
June 4, 2004, 06:35 PM
Some more interesting info in this situation:
Link #1 (http://subguns.biggerhammer.net/mgmsg.cgi?read=378942)
....Here is what LG put on his Form 1:

Box 4a. - His name and address (city, state)
Box 4b. - "Auto Sear Machine Gun"
Box 4h. - "Non-transferable Auto Sear for AK"
Box 41. - "Personal Entertainment"

He does not live in the 9th Circuit, and this Form 1 got approved.

Ted

Link #2 (http://subguns.biggerhammer.net/mgmsg.cgi?read=378943)
Some thoughts after reading the thread and . . .
. . . on his Form 1. I think it just cited the case, and clarified that LG was applying to make the autosear for personal use, non-transferable, that he would fabricate it himself, and that it would not ever be sold or transferred to anyone else.

Ted

Sooooo, maybe we can get personal-use DIASs approved. I wouldnt mind a homemade one, current price for one is like $8k for the M16 (damn Shrike driving prices sky-high). Heck, for $200 tax each, I'd made 3 just for, er, poo and giggles.

Kharn

Hkmp5sd
June 4, 2004, 09:32 PM
If by some miracle it turns out to be possible, there will be a bunch of "80% auto sears" on the market soon. Just wait until approved, do a little filing and convert your semi to full auto.

Kharn
June 4, 2004, 09:51 PM
Hkmp5sd:
A hand-finished DIAS, ugh, not my idea of fun. Give me a few hours with a solid chunk of aluminum and a milling machine instead.

Could a mod kick this over to Legal & Political? It'd get better exposure (and more lawyer types) over there.

Kharn

Diggler
June 4, 2004, 10:59 PM
<pray>
Oh please God, please let this be true...

Amen.
</pray>

SB88LX
June 28, 2004, 07:15 PM
Anymore info on this?

Wildalaska
June 28, 2004, 07:45 PM
Hoax

WildwildrumoursAlaska

Nick1911
June 28, 2004, 09:35 PM
I'm going to have to go with wild on this one... but jeez.... wouldn't that be some sh....... umm, stuff?

Nick

TechBrute
June 28, 2004, 09:43 PM
I have the capability to make a DIAS in my garage. Heck, for that matter, you can job it out for less than $100. If the ATF is approving form 1s, I'd have a DIAS for every AR that I own. After all, you can always just select "Semi." :D

Dionysusigma
June 28, 2004, 10:12 PM
And Stens would be sold for $20.00 at garage sales... *sigh*

If only... :(

Jim K
June 28, 2004, 10:54 PM
I am highly sceptical. The current law bans new machinegun registration. Since the gun would have to be registered even if it was made by an individual for his own use, BATF could not legally register it and therefore could not approve a Form 1. As far as any court ruling, BATF has always taken the position that current law prevails unless or until the final verdict is in, all appeals are finished, and the ruling has nationwide application. Then, and only then, will they issue a Revenue Ruling to conform with the court decision.

Jim

ScottsGT
June 28, 2004, 11:16 PM
Can't you just get a Class III Mfgr. license for $300? or $400 a year? then you could make all the class III weapons your heart desires. Thats what a couple of guys I know are doing. Then they sign their friend up as corporate partners and they get class III guns. But they have to stay in the safe of the location of the license.

TechBrute
June 29, 2004, 09:24 AM
Scott, that's the theory behind it, but it doesn't mean that it gets approved.

As underhanded and shady as they may be, the ATF employs some people with at least room temperature IQs.

If you enjoyed reading about "Stewart Form 1 supposedly approved! Legal Full-Autos on the CHEAP!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!