"Tactical" as a marketing term

PDA

natedog
June 3, 2004, 06:36 PM
When did the word "tactical" begin to be used as a marketing term? I got itno the gun scene about 3 years ago, so I'm not sure on the history of the term.

Were there any similar marketing phrases that came before "tactical"?

If you enjoyed reading about ""Tactical" as a marketing term" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sleeping Dog
June 3, 2004, 06:49 PM
Way, way before "tactical", the word "streamlined" was used to describe things (maybe 50-70 years ago). It sort of made sense with cars and trains, you could almost envision the air flow over the curved and slanted surfaces. But radios and toasters and kitchen mixers were also "streamlined" in appearance. You'd think that stationary household objects were subjected to wind tunnel tests.

Now, if an item was sleek and curved and slanted AND was covered in black nylon, then it would be "streamlined" AND "tactical". I'll buy one.

Preacherman
June 3, 2004, 07:01 PM
Now, if an item was sleek and curved and slanted AND was covered in black nylon, then it would be "streamlined" AND "tactical". I'll buy one.
Sir, to which lady are you referring?

:neener: :p :D

Chipperman
June 3, 2004, 07:11 PM
How about
"Aerodynamic"
"Space Age"
"Futuristic"

As long as there has been marketing, there have been catch phrases.

RED-DOG 40
June 3, 2004, 07:38 PM
quote:

."When did the word "tactical" begin to be used"

....Probably when our man "Skunkabilly" was born....

:rolleyes: ....:neener:

Standing Wolf
June 3, 2004, 07:45 PM
The single most powerful marketing term is "free."

Waitone
June 3, 2004, 08:32 PM
I don't buy anything marketed with the term "tactical."

Same for "extreme."

Lazy marketing. Betrays a herd mentality.

natedog
June 3, 2004, 09:58 PM
What about marketing terms within the gun industry?

I'd agree with the "Extreme" remark...but I would make an exception for the XD.

Brigrat
June 3, 2004, 10:32 PM
I agree, I don't purchase things labled tactical. The company I work for on the other hand has purchased so much "Tactical" gear for me, I don't know what to do with it all!!!! Oh boy!

treeprof
June 3, 2004, 11:10 PM
Wilson Combat must surely be the most prolific abuser of the word "tactical". All of their AR's are "tactical", as are a handful of their pistols. Their 1911 light rail is "tactical". So are some of their safeties, mag releases, and sights. Along with some "tactical" videos, holsters and even a "tactical" mag/light pouch. And the "tactical" AR muzzle brake. Plus the "tactical" rifle case. Oh yeah, the "tactical" AR mag pouch. Finally, the entire line of "tactical" knives. Some of the non-tactical 1911 parts are "bullet proof", and that can't be a bad thing. The "bullet proof" firing pin seems like a good idea, for example.

natedog
June 3, 2004, 11:16 PM
Do you work for Brigat & Thomas, the company that makes suppressors?

Brigrat
June 3, 2004, 11:32 PM
No, it is Brigrat, in reference to my time working in the Brig when I was a Marine. I work for a Utility Company at a Nuclear Power Plant, as the Security Operations Supervisor. We get all sorts of cool gear!

natedog
June 3, 2004, 11:35 PM
Sweet. What kind of arms do you use (if you don't mind me asking)?

PromptCritical
June 4, 2004, 12:40 AM
Where can I get a "streamlined" "tactical" "combat" toaster? I may need it in TEOTWAWKI SHTF breakfast scenario.

Skunkabilly
June 4, 2004, 03:16 AM
For computers it used to be 'cyber' and 'virtual' :barf:

entropy
June 4, 2004, 05:41 AM
So an ├╝bertactical, streamlined, hi-speed, low-drag carbon fiber virtual cyberextreme widget would really turn your crank, eh, Skunk?:neener:

Sleeping Dog
June 4, 2004, 07:03 AM
Sir, to which lady are you referring?

I support both the second amendment, and the fifth:

I decline to answer that question on the grounds that I could be in a whole lot of "EXTREME" hot water.:D

Regards.

Skunkabilly
June 7, 2004, 03:50 PM
Entropy, lol!

You forgot low carb :evil:

GunnySkox
June 7, 2004, 03:58 PM
Skunky, I thought you liked a lot of carbs in your tactical diet. Mmmm, carbon fiber...

~Slam_Fire
It's funny, honest, just read it a couple more times!

Skunkabilly
June 7, 2004, 04:07 PM
I'm high carb, high protein, high MSG, high everything except exercise :evil:

birdv
June 7, 2004, 04:24 PM
I don't group firearms as tactical and non-tactical firearms. I just think in terms of sporting firearms and combat weapons.

What makes sporting vs combat is its common or orginal use.

CrudeGT
June 7, 2004, 04:44 PM
So, are you guys against the 5.11 Tactical gear? I like their stuff, regardless of their marketing ploys.

TarpleyG
June 7, 2004, 07:09 PM
You all need to read the article about this in the latest American Handgunner. Funny stuff.

Greg

Burt Blade
June 7, 2004, 08:21 PM
"Tactical" as used in marketing:
Originally ordinary items painted, dyed, labeled, machined, or otherwize altered to look "bad" and cost more. (IE Black-painted 8" survival knife with saw on back, or 8 pound black rifle with 9 pounds of battery-operated black gadgets and 10 pounds of loaded hi-cap magazines in a black mag-bag. )

Tactical on the street:
Ordinary, often totally inappropraite, items you just happen to have when the goblins attack, used to save your ass. (IE well-worn 3" utility lockblade pocketknife owed since childhood, or beat-up old J-frame .38 in pocket and five spare rounds loose in the other pocket with your keys.)

Mil Novecientos Once
June 8, 2004, 10:32 AM
Wilson Combat must surely be the most prolific abuser of the word "tactical". All of their AR's are "tactical", as are a handful of their pistols. Their 1911 light rail is "tactical". So are some of their safeties, mag releases, and sights. Along with some "tactical" videos, holsters and even a "tactical" mag/light pouch. And the "tactical" AR muzzle brake. Plus the "tactical" rifle case. Oh yeah, the "tactical" AR mag pouch. Finally, the entire line of "tactical" knives.

The word "tactical" appears 192 times on the latest Wilson Combat cataloge. The 1911 world is saturated with marketing crap like that.

Justin
June 8, 2004, 07:08 PM
Anyone in marketing who uses the word 'extreme' should be beaten to within an inch of their life with the heaviest thesaurus that can be mustered.

SemperFi83
June 8, 2004, 08:43 PM
You know what is funny about that term? I spent 6 years in the Marine Corps and the only time I heard any derivation of that word was "tactics," which evidently meant something much different. Of course, the Marines don't knoe what they are talking about. Now, anyone who can type on a keyboard talks about "tactical this, and tactical that," when half of them can't even define the term. Go ahead. I dare you. Try.

Sleeping Dog
June 8, 2004, 09:06 PM
Ok SemperFi, I'll try this one:

"Tactical" is anything that gets your ass safely out of the current predicament.

"Strategic" is all about creating that kind of predicament.

Regards.

Skunkabilly
June 9, 2004, 12:21 AM
Was it Col. Cooper who said that strategy is dinner out with a lady, and everything after that is tactics? :D

Tamara
June 9, 2004, 12:09 PM
Now, anyone who can type on a keyboard talks about "tactical this, and tactical that," when half of them can't even define the term. Go ahead. I dare you. Try.

Sure thing. :)

Tactical (TAK-tik-ul) adj.: Posessing the properties of both blackness and expensiveness.

Benjamin
June 9, 2004, 02:48 PM
Where can I get a "streamlined" "tactical" "combat" toaster? I may need it in TEOTWAWKI SHTF breakfast scenario.

Purchase an Armalite AR-10.

I'm serious. They run deals where they include an Armalite toaster.

twoblink
June 10, 2004, 04:00 AM
Tactical = "25% overpriced"..

What about Logistical?? Or is logistical just not that sexy?

Tamara
June 10, 2004, 09:55 AM
What about Logistical?? Or is logistical just not that sexy?

No, it's because your favorite word (the primary definition for which, BTW, is "of, or pertaining to symbolic logic,") has about zero to do with personal defense.

When facing down a mugger, making sure that all of the troops in the 79th Tamara Division are issued with the proper loadout of beans and bullets and that my vehicle park has an adequate supply of extra tires and spark plugs to ensure an uninterrupted flow of supplies to the front line is just simply irrelevant.

There is no way to apply the macro concept of logistics to the micro situation of a personal defense situation, except in perhaps the fuzziest and most marginal sense: ie. carrying a BUG that can use the mags from your primary.

If you enjoyed reading about ""Tactical" as a marketing term" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!