Bullet in case backward! Pics of factory manufacturing error...

PDA

Pete45
June 3, 2004, 06:52 PM
Take a look at what my Dad found in his box of factory loaded UMC at the range today! (.45 FMJ 230 grain) Good thing he didn't fire it! The bullet appears to be inserted backward... flat side out, nose in the case.

- Pete45

If you enjoyed reading about "Bullet in case backward! Pics of factory manufacturing error..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
firearms_instructor
June 3, 2004, 06:57 PM
Would this really be unsafe to fire, assuming it chambered? What's the difference between firing this and any other full wadcutter? Inquiring minds want to know.

<edited to read 'fire' instead of 'file', I'm all about safe filing :p >

Stickjockey
June 3, 2004, 07:00 PM
Sshhhh!

That's UMC's new .45 ACP "Blitzpiston" round. Supposed to end the .45/9mm debate once and for all.

Seriously though, good thing he found it.

Ben Shepherd
June 3, 2004, 07:00 PM
Just goes to show: Always check your ammo.

I don't have pictures, but I got a 357 federal american eagle 158 JSP with the primer in upside down once.

yorick
June 3, 2004, 07:04 PM
not at all unsafe to fire - many handloaders load with bullets backwards for assorted reasons. I think one of my reloading manuals actually recomends it for greater knock down power on some rifle rounds.

- though that particular bullet probably wouldn't perform very well if shot backwards.

Chipperman
June 3, 2004, 07:07 PM
Send it to the factory. Maybe you'll get a free box. ;)

Highland Ranger
June 3, 2004, 07:08 PM
Re Unsafe to fire - why would you want to find out?

spacemanspiff
June 3, 2004, 07:16 PM
i've never been too happy with any of the UMC ammo.

fastbolt
June 3, 2004, 07:26 PM
Yep, it always pays to inspect your ammunition as you're loading it ...

A recently discovered factory 9mm JHP ...

warrior23
June 3, 2004, 07:27 PM
I had Fed american eagle 9mm,1 box 1rd had no primer.another box the primer was upside down in 1 rd.I always chech my rounds before.

fastbolt
June 3, 2004, 07:29 PM
same round, slightly different view ...

firearms_instructor
June 3, 2004, 07:48 PM
I would probably notice it, but what if a newb didn't? How much actual risk are we talking about? What if someone wasn't paying attention and fired the round in question?

I have a 9mm reload that has a crack down the side and a slightly bulged base. I'm suspect my Uzi carbine would digest it without much problem (worst case scenario: excess gas pressure vented into mag well, blowing mag out of carbine?), but I wouldn't like to see someone fire it in a pistol. I use it as a visual aid for my students as a warning why not to buy cheap gunshow reloads.

I might take a digital pic and post it here sometime.

rick newland
June 3, 2004, 08:28 PM
Only ammo problem I have had was with the Czech company S&B. Several rounds did not have a flash hole. Had to dig metal out of the firing pin channel.

June 3, 2004, 09:05 PM
I know this will probably ruffle a few feathers, but in a recent thread Wolf ammo was burned at the stake because one of our members said he found a few rounds similar to those described here. Now we have UMC, Federal, and S&B with a similar problem. Is it all junk ?

chas_martel
June 3, 2004, 09:09 PM
I don't think this is "that" uncommon from any supplier....................

jhisaac1
June 3, 2004, 11:18 PM
Unsafe?

The seating depth could be way off on the .45. This could cause pressure levels that are too high (boom) or too low (squib). Neither one a good situation.

keeperofthehills
June 4, 2004, 01:07 AM
thats why I roll my own:)

Valkman
June 4, 2004, 01:12 AM
Here's what I replied on 1911 Forums:

A while back I chrono'd a bunch of my reloads, plus some Win. White Box, some Ranger, Ranger +P and UMC. My reloads just about duplicated Win. White Box numbers for velocity and SD, which were very good. The UMC stuff was by far the worst of the bunch with velocitys all over the map and a huge SD. Sounds like the QC needs some work!

Stebalo
June 4, 2004, 02:32 AM
Henry Bowman would use those backwards seated bullets to hunt cape buffalo don'tcha know?

BluesBear
June 4, 2004, 02:51 AM
There's no danger in firing that round.
Besides the fact that the seating depth isn't excessive, standard factory .45 acp loads aren't exactly high pressure.

I have experimented with set-back testing in .45acp. I have deep seated 230gr factory ammo as much as 3/16 over factory specs with no ill affects.

A bullet seated upside down isn't uncommon in totally automated loading operations. I'd guess it'll hapen about .001%. Usually inspectors will catch it before it gets boxed.

Henry Bowman
June 4, 2004, 09:59 AM
Don't you know . . .

It's for that new H&K shown on the cover of their new catalog where the cartridges are loaded in the mag backward! :neener:

Bravo11
June 4, 2004, 10:23 AM
I'm with chipperman. Send it back and they might send you a free box of ammo or a coupon for Remington gear. It's better than chunking it in the trash.

jwmoore
June 4, 2004, 10:32 AM
It will work just fine... The bullet's designed to tumble.:neener:

DISCLAIMER: I'm just joking, don't fire that round...

~W

sctman800
June 4, 2004, 11:34 AM
I recently found a backward loaded bullet in a WWW .25auto, I then e-mailed Winchester about it. They sent me a pre-paid UPS label to send it back to them. I sent the backwards loaded bullet and one good round to them and they sent me two coupons for $10. to replace the bad round. I seldom buy any ammo except .25auto, I load my own in .41mag and .45APC. Good trade! Jim.

Red_SC
June 4, 2004, 11:47 AM
It's not a mistake, it's for hunting elephants.

Smoke
June 4, 2004, 02:06 PM
No, No, No.

Its an armor piercing round. Didn't the Germans (or somebody) pull the bullets and invert them to shoot at tanks?

I know I've seen that somewhere.

Smoke

Dionysusigma
June 4, 2004, 06:49 PM
It's the Lucky... :p

(as in a pack of cigarettes... )

zahc
June 4, 2004, 07:44 PM
I got one of those a few months ago too. Mine won't chamber.

tex_n_cal
June 4, 2004, 09:44 PM
Win 125gr foctory 9x23 ammo - it chrono'd an average of 1475 fps...

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=1042524

kernal_panic
June 5, 2004, 10:27 PM
"remember to only use factory ammo in your firearms never reloads"

one thing about rolling your own. if you put them back into ammo boxes after loading them it gives you the ablity to QC the rounds visually. i didn't do that with a bunch of rounds right into a storage box recently and when i went to shoot them right there on top was a round with the primer in backwards.
(loaded on a dillon sdb)

M2 Carbine
June 6, 2004, 09:08 AM
You were sure to notice that round BUT if you didn't and loaded it in the magazine it probably would not feed.

If it did feed and you fired it you wouldn't know the difference except the bullet might keyhole.

One of the most dangerous loading mistakes is no powder.
The primer will push the bullet into the barrel and if you don't catch what happened the next round you fire will be very interesting.

tex_n_cal
June 6, 2004, 09:45 AM
For the record, I have had more problems with factory ammo than my handloads over the years. I've had probably a half dozen misfires with centerfire factory ammo.

Even if you don't handload, a chrono is a good investment. I had two boxes of factory .25-06 that chrono'd 300 fps less than spec. I also recall one box of Rem .357 ammo where most of the nickel plating flaked off during firing, and one round of the same box had the bullet seated crooked, and would not chamber.

Ringer
June 6, 2004, 11:50 AM
http://home.comcast.net/~ringer1/def_Win9mm.jpg

Jay Kominek
June 6, 2004, 04:34 PM
I know this will probably ruffle a few feathers, but in a recent thread Wolf ammo was burned at the stake because one of our members said he found a few rounds similar to those described here. Now we have UMC, Federal, and S&B with a similar problem. Is it all junk ?
Considering how much all the ammo THR'ers go through, put together, I'm not surprised that there are reports of finding a few bad cartridges.
But if anyone were to come forward with evidence that every other box of some particular brand had a bad cartridge in it, that'd be disturbing.

June 6, 2004, 06:14 PM
I agree 100%.
It only stands to reason that with as much ammo as is produced, you are going to have a few mistakes dispite your best efforts.
It stands to reason that a group such as ours that uses a lot of ammo is going to find some of these mistakes.
And after reading this board since it began, it only stands to reason for me that if Brand R loads a bulet backwards it is a freak mistake. If Brand W loads a bullet backwards it is all junk that you should never trust in your guns (unless they are Russian).

wingman
June 6, 2004, 06:24 PM
Quality control for most products we buy now is poor, the idea is get the
product out the door....................

Having worked in QC for close to 20 years I seen the end results getting
worse as I neared end of employment. Stockholders may be making
more money but the consumer is taking it in the "end".

I reload.;)

Spieler
June 6, 2004, 11:15 PM
Here's a pic of a bad Federal 9mm I found about a year ago. Called their customer service number and they sent me a free box of 50 rounds. Not bad for my time and trouble!

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=434606

catsupsam
June 8, 2004, 02:17 AM
So this is a FMJ bullet in backwards?
It was in the last batch of 357 reloads that I bought.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=1050318

If you enjoyed reading about "Bullet in case backward! Pics of factory manufacturing error..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!