Ballistic fingerprinting - school project

PDA

Noban
June 3, 2004, 08:17 PM
Hey folks - My daughter is doing a 9th grade physics project on ballistic fingerprinting. She first has to get permissin from the school administrators to affix empty cases to art board (sigh...).

Once she makes that hurdle, she needs to then download some color photos of shell casings with the tell tale markings. Any suggestion for good sites on this topic?

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Ballistic fingerprinting - school project" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Hkmp5sd
June 3, 2004, 08:47 PM
Resources in countering the "ballistic fingerprinting" lies. (http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/tech/fingerprint.htm)

Waitone
June 3, 2004, 09:29 PM
Make sure she gets a tube of toothpaste and brush to demonstrate how easy it is to spoof BF software. The younger the perp the better the demo.

possenti
June 3, 2004, 09:51 PM
Make sure she gets a tube of toothpaste and brush to demonstrate how easy it is to spoof BF software.

Logging that one into my memory banks for future reference...
I hope I never have to use that information.

mete
June 4, 2004, 02:01 PM
This of course is nothing new ,you should find info by searching 'forensic ballistics' . It might be of interest since there are a number of tv programs dealing with forensics. However her report should stress the fact that the idea that ballistic fingerprinting will somehow prevent or even solve crimes is nonsense. We have the program in NY and it is a farce , in fact it's already shown that the fired cases included with the guns often aren't from that particular gun ! As a scientist and shooter I find forensic science of great interest but 'ballistic fingerprinting ' is pure BS.

Amish_Bill
June 4, 2004, 03:01 PM
If you like, I can try to shoot some for you. Does she have any need for a specific caliber, or just brass that shows clear markings?

I'm going to be out of town this weekend - what's the timeframe for getting the pics to you?

sumpnz
June 4, 2004, 03:56 PM
If you want I could send some fired cases from one of my rifles and my pistol. I have at least a couple different brands and your daughter could show how, just by using a different manufacturers ammo you can get different results. Even shot to shot with the same brand they're not necessarilly identical.

Noban
June 4, 2004, 03:59 PM
Guys - Thanks for the replies and offers. I've given her a number of shell casings, same caliber, different guns. She's going to present both sides of the argument, with a slant towards "this is junk science and politically motivated". That was her idea. Smart kid!

Thanks all!

Amish_Bill
June 4, 2004, 04:05 PM
By "shoot" I meant macro photography of the case heads...

SDC
June 5, 2004, 12:05 AM
Noban, make sure you get her to mention that a BIG part of the problem with "ballistic fingerprinting" (at least as it's proposed to be used by anti-gunners and states like New York and Maryland), is that the results are only as good as the information that's fed in; in an interesting experiment last year, the Association of Firearms & Toolmarks Examiners (AFTE) looked at the test cartridges that were shipped to a law-enforcement agency with 15 brand-new Glock pistols; in 12 out of the 15, one or both of the "test cartridges" shipped with the pistols weren't even fired in those pistols. Garbage in = garbage out.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ballistic fingerprinting - school project" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!