Tuner: An update on brass in the face

PDA

Greg45
June 4, 2004, 06:50 AM
Tuner: As we discussed in my previous thread, I have a Les Baer Premier II that was giving me brass kisses pretty frequently. I replaced the recoil spring with a 16 1/2 LB variable, removed the shock buff, and cleaned everything real good.

Well, last night I finally got to take it back to the range. I put 100 rds. of Winchester white box thru her, and it seems to be much better. I think maybe I got 2 or 3, but am not sure if they came directly back or richoched off of the partition next to me. I examined the spent cases closely (of those I could find) and saw no marks on most. I did find one that was creased about 2/3 of the way down the case mouth. I'm about 90% sure it was mine. I really need to get to the club which has an outdoor range and try it again. I did have 1 FTE, but out of 300 rds. total so far, I don't consider this to be a catastrophe.

I will probably send it back to LB at some point anyway, to have a Tritium front sight installed and be refinished. Thinking of having them hardchrome the lower and re-blue the upper. That two tone look is starting to grow on me. I would like to put another 400-500 rounds thru her first just to see if any other issues might crop up.

Thanks,

Greg

If you enjoyed reading about "Tuner: An update on brass in the face" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1911Tuner
June 4, 2004, 06:55 AM
Excellent! The crease in that one round of brass is indication that the
slide is battin' it back toward your head. It's just a matter of the timing if the release from the extractor...and maybe the angle in the port. You're
almost there!

Luck!

Tuner

Jim K
June 10, 2004, 10:45 PM
Don't overlook the ejector, which has a major impact (pun intended) on the brass and the direction it goes.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "Tuner: An update on brass in the face" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!