Can I ship a rifle to a Police Dept in another state?

PDA

prezzz
June 5, 2004, 01:28 AM
Can I ship a rifle to a Police Dept. in another state? Or do I still have to ship it to a FFL in the state. Seems like I remember there's some rule that allows you to ship direclty to a Police agency. Or am I just dreaming here?

If you enjoyed reading about "Can I ship a rifle to a Police Dept in another state?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nick1911
June 5, 2004, 02:04 AM
I don't... think so....

umm...

I've never heard of that - but if it's true, then :D

Nick

George S.
June 5, 2004, 11:06 AM
Why would you want to ship a rifle to the police?? :confused: I think that you can send your personal rifle or shotgun to a private individual if it's addressed to that person in care of yourself. For example, if you're planning a hunting trip and you don't want to carry a rifle with you, you should be able to do it in this way. You do need to use UPS or FedEx for the shipper.

prezzz
June 5, 2004, 11:34 AM
Why would you want to ship a rifle to the police??

Gun exchange with a cop in another state.

Thanks for your info.

prezzz
June 5, 2004, 11:34 AM
Why would you want to ship a rifle to the police??

Gun exchange with a cop in another state.

Thanks for your info.

Hkmp5sd
June 5, 2004, 11:52 AM
If you are transferring the firearm to the agency, yes. If you are transferring the gun to a LEO for use in his duties as a LEO, yes. If a personal transfer to another person that happens to be a LEO, no.

§ 925. Exceptions: Relief from disabilities
(a)(1) The provisions of this chapter, except for provisions relating to firearms subject to the prohibitions of section 922(p), shall not apply with respect to the transportation, shipment, receipt, possession, or importation of any firearm or ammunition imported for, sold or shipped to, or issued for the use of, the United States or any department or agency thereof or any State or any department, agency, or political subdivision thereof.

ATF Bulletin Explaining 925(a)(1)

4.SALES OF FIREARMS TO LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS
Section 925(a)(1) of the GCA exempts law enforcement agencies from the transportation, shipment, receipt, or importation controls of the GCA when firearms are to be used for the official business of the agency.
If a law enforcement officer is issued a certification letter on the agency's letterhead, signed by a person in authority within the agency stating the officer will use the firearm in performance of official duties, the officer specified in the certification may purchase a firearm from you regardless of the State in which the officer resides, or in which the agency is located.
You (the seller) are not required to prepare a Form 4473 covering this particular sale, as the certification letter is evidence of the transaction. Disposition to the officer is to be entered in your permanent record, and the certification letter kept in your files.

Graystar
June 5, 2004, 12:01 PM
My understanding is that private citizens can only ship to an FFL out of state. The only two exceptions are shipping a gun to yourself or shipping a gun to a gunsmith or manufacturer for repair where the gun will be returned to the originating address.

I believe there is a police agency rule that was meant for the purchase of firearms, but I think only FFLs are allow to make the sale. But don’t quote me on that.

prezzz
June 5, 2004, 12:08 PM
Doesn't the post just above yours make an exception to the FFL thing.

I read that post to mean that if a letter comes from the agency on letterhead paper, stating that the rifle will be used for an official purpose, and shipped to the Dept, then the FFL is not needed.

That's how I read it, but my interpretation may not be 100%.

Hkmp5sd
June 5, 2004, 02:22 PM
The first quote is the law excluding law enforcement agencies from the '68 GCA. The second quote is informing licensed dealers how they need to handle the paperwork to sell them to a law enforcement agency or officer in another state. Since a non-licensee is not required to maintain sales records, this does not apply. However, it would be a good CYA to get the paperwork anyway.

If you enjoyed reading about "Can I ship a rifle to a Police Dept in another state?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!