Wonderful encounter with antis

PDA

Third_Rail
June 5, 2004, 11:13 PM
So there I am, the end of my shift at Sears, ringing up customers in Burlington as usual. Per my very nature, I chitchat with customers as I ring. One couple, an older (40s-early 50s) married couple mention something about all of those horrible assault weapons. I immediately stop and ask them what they think an "assault weapon" actually is. The wife spoke first, saying "Well, those AK-27 [sic] for one! They spray bullets and they don't even have to be registered!" 'Oh boy,' I think to myself, 'reaaaaal thin ice here.' Then the husband pipes up, saying "And them Uzis, they're awful, so many kids are killed by them every year." 'Ow. Ow. Ow. My brain!' I think to myself... 'I can salvage this. I know it. Let's convert some people!'

So what do I say? I hold up my hands pretending to hold a rifle, finger on the trigger. I say "The way an AK-47 in this country actually works is that you pull the trigger, it goes bang," (the couple's eyes look at me, they're actually paying attention), "and you don't get any more until you release the trigger and pull again." At this point, their eyes simultaniously get big and their jaws drop. "Yep," I said, "pull, bang, release, pull, bang, release, and so on. Only one shot per pull." "Ahh," says the husband, "but what about those .45 automatics?" Thinking he's talking about the 1911 (he was it seems), I say "The same thing. Pull, bang, release, pull, bang, release." At this, he looks at his wife, stunned that the TVs and news have been lying to him. One last try does he make, "No, you only have to pull the hammer back and pull the trigger, all the bullets come out of the clip [sic]."

I grin from ear to ear and in the most polite, friendly way I can muster, I say "Nope! One shot per pull. Say, do you know how long automatic weapons have been kept track of and registered in the US?" Smiling, thinking she knows the answer, the wife says "Since 1994, the Assault Weapons Ban saved lives due to---" I cut her off and said this: "Actually, ma'am, the fact is that automatic weapons have been restricted, registered, and kept track of since 1934, from the 1934 NFA."

They both look at me blankly. I say "I'm serious, automatic weapons have been kept track of, registered, and restricted since 1934." At this, the husband looks at me and I can tell he's about to "correct" me. He pauses, thinks for a moment, and says "You know, Thomas, you've got me there. Still, I wonder why the news wouldn't just give us the up and up. Politicians." At this point I was hurting myself smiling, and his wife added "Yeah, why don't they just say it's not automatic but it just loads the bullets [sic] for you?? I mean, it doesn't spray bullets so what's the big deal?"

We get into other topics for a while, then we seem to gravitate back to firearms. "So what would you two do if you had your house broken into at night?" "Well," says the wife, "I'd kill that f*&%er." "With what?" I ask. "A bat, I don't know," she said.

At this, I had to ask the obvious question. "What if he was armed?" "Well, we'd call the police." This next part will REALLY get you.....

The husband, without missing a beat, says "Yeah, and they'll come to collect our bodies!" Again smiling like an idiot, I say "That's right. The police are an investigative agency, not a security force." The wife surprises me with "I guess it might be a good idea to keep something, some pepper spray." Thinking of Oleg's poster, I responded with "Okay, what would you do if a gang broke into your house?" "Well, I'd...." says the wife, unable to answer.

The sale was rung, the transaction over.

Walking away, I heard the husband saying something about "you know, he's got a point, home defense is a good idea." etc., etc.

Fellow THRers, I took the high road. I took the high road and I won.

If you enjoyed reading about "Wonderful encounter with antis" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
GunnySkox
June 5, 2004, 11:20 PM
:D :D :D

Brilliant. Somebody buy the man a beer, or something like that there!

~Slam_Fire

P95Carry
June 5, 2004, 11:26 PM
3rd rail ..... with you all the way! Doncha just love it when raw, unadulterated logic gets thru to people. Score one more for RKBA hopefully.

Rock on dude!

Third_Rail
June 5, 2004, 11:41 PM
Slam, I'm only 17. I don't like how beer smells, and I don't want to find out how it tastes. Your message got across though, thanks. :)

P95, I figure that if I can do that even once a month, our numbers will grow. If each one of us can get through to even ONE PERSON A YEAR, our numbers will grow like mad. I really think there is hope for humanity yet.

Wedge
June 5, 2004, 11:59 PM
Third_Rail, well done! If all of us can follow your example we may have a chance.

P.S. I didn't like the way beer smelled when I was 17 either. Then I went to college... :eek:

YammyMonkey
June 6, 2004, 12:44 AM
Good job, now if you see them in your store again, offer to take them shooting. :D

Hawkmoon
June 6, 2004, 12:50 AM
Bravissimo!

sturmruger
June 6, 2004, 02:27 AM
If you were old enough and likes the taste I would buy you a beer. Maybe I will just buy you a milk.

Good job isn't it amazing to see how easy it is to brainwash your everyday American!! I think it is pretty sad actually. This goes to show that it is good to think for yourself.

Norton
June 6, 2004, 05:15 AM
Only 17? Maybe there is hope for the future after all...Bravo Zulu Thurd Rail!

Third_Rail
June 6, 2004, 08:03 AM
Sturm, even though it's "amazing to see how easy it is to brainwash your everyday American", it's also amazingly EASY to bring them back to their senses. Keep in mind that I live near Boston, MA, and you'll see what I mean. People around here are the most anti-rights I've ever encountered, and yet when presented with facts and logic in a calm reasonable manner they come around.

I think it boils down to the fact that people resent being lied to by the news, and moreso, they resent that they believed it without question!

I ought to get into the town government when I turn 18 (September 5) so I can eventually do something in politics.

Treylis
June 6, 2004, 08:18 AM
Slam, I'm only 17. I don't like how beer smells, and I don't want to find out how it tastes.

Heh, that's pretty easy. Beer tastes EXACTLY like it smells.

Good job, there. I had my own encounter with an anti tonight while carrying open and all they could talk about was how I "was bringing out negative energy into the group", etc., etc. She was polite and so was I, but, man, you mention "negative energy" around me in any connotation except to mock it, it takes a real physical effort to stop me from rolling my eyes. ;-)

Baba Louie
June 6, 2004, 09:20 AM
Kudos Third_Rail... it gives a middle aged man hope for this countries future. Thank your parents for doing something right and bringing you into this world and raising ya however they did... something clicked.
Politics? Maybe. Educating the masses? Maybe. Camoflage yourself as a Democrat and SPEAK THE TRUTH, stand for tax cuts, pro-2nd, etc and you could probably be elected to any office in the nation if that's whatcha want.

Treylis... as to negative energy... watch Kelly's Hero's and the spiel between Donald Sutherlands "HotDog" character and Gavin McLeod's "Moriarity" on "Again with da Negative waves babe"... cracks me up every time.

RocketMan
June 6, 2004, 10:01 AM
Third_Rail,

You must present yourself very well. Being able to respectfully get your message across to someone of an older generation is quite the accomplishment.
Good job!

Third_Rail is someone we should keep an eye on. If he's this good at 17...

Third_Rail
June 6, 2004, 10:04 AM
This is funny. As much as I enjoy talking to people, and as much as I keep an eye on the political world, I've always wanted to be a plumber.

Maybe, just maybe, it's time to reconsider.

gunfan
June 6, 2004, 10:13 AM
I juet love it when the brainwashed masses become "enlightend." The mass media is a liar and a pacifier.

Wonderful job, Brother!

Scott

geekWithA.45
June 6, 2004, 10:21 AM
And you handled it with grace and perfection.

Well done! Booya!

RWK
June 6, 2004, 10:57 AM
Third -

VERY well done!

CarlS
June 6, 2004, 11:23 AM
Excellent, Third_Rail. You handled that with expertise far beyond your years. Great job!!

7.62FullMetalJacket
June 6, 2004, 11:27 AM
17 :what:

My, you have big brass ones :uhoh:

Good job. I hope your supe isn't PC.

grislyatoms
June 6, 2004, 12:09 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how when some people have a little logic applied to their fervent beliefs, they are forced to reassess same beliefs.

Take, case in point, Dungeons and Dragons. I remember in the late '70's, early '80's all the media attention on this harmless pen and paper game. "Only satanists play it." "It causes children to run rabidly screaming off the deep end." Blah, blah, blah.

I used to play it, and was once accosted by my high school principal because we had organized after school games. He said "It's a bad influence and I am going to try to put a stop to it. I am going to notify all of your parents." I asked him if he had ever played the game. "No." I asked him if he had ever read the rules or tried to understand the game. "No."

I then asked him how he knew it was a bad influence. "Because of all the articles in the paper and on television."

The parallels are not lost on me.

Anyway, he did call and spoke with my Mom. She told him point blank to mind his own (*&^*&%*&% business. She further told him that I was a "good kid" and that if I was harassed about my interest in the game, she would bring it up at the next PTA and school board meetings.

Never heard another peep from him.

AZRickD
June 6, 2004, 01:06 PM
It looks like you've just unplugged someone from the Matrix. ;)

Rick

migoi
June 6, 2004, 04:35 PM
that it's difficult for the typical person who has never even actually fired a gun much less owned one to find the truth about firearms when their only source of info is the mass media produced news, TV, and action-hero movies. It makes it even more difficult to sort out the truth about the AWB when our own President makes it known he will sign the renewal if it comes before him. With an endorsement like that who can blame Mr. and Mrs. Middle Class Suburban America for not understanding the real issue of the AWB.

Good job winning one to our side.

migoi

charles webb
June 6, 2004, 06:47 PM
well done thats one more couple converted to pro self defense:)

longrifleman
June 6, 2004, 08:09 PM
This is funny. As much as I enjoy talking to people, and as much as I keep an eye on the political world, I've always wanted to be a plumber.

Plumber-Politician?

Politician-Plumber?

Plumber-Politician?

Politician-Plumber?

Either way you'll be hip deep in the dodo:neener:

Good job. Keep it up.

PATH
June 6, 2004, 08:16 PM
third-rail,

Congratulations on taking the High Road! Keep up the good work. It is people like yourself who will preserve gun rights in the future!

Standing Wolf
June 6, 2004, 08:43 PM
The husband, without missing a beat, says "Yeah, and they'll come to collect our bodies!"

There's hope.

jke456
June 6, 2004, 09:06 PM
well done thrird rail

I had a good encounter with my dad this weekend myself

we were talking bout the awb and he was all for it {thought aw's were fully automatic}:rolleyes: {wonder where he got that idea}:fire:

after I explained the facts to him he was against the ban :)

one at a time we will get there I hope

UnknownSailor
June 6, 2004, 11:05 PM
Would this be the Cascade Mall Sears, exit 230 off Interstate 5 in Burlington, Washington?

Where I go to buy PC games on the way back from Kesselrings?

If so, let me know what register you work, and I will come by and shake your hand for dispelling the anti-hysteria on these two.

When I get back in July, of course.....

Third_Rail
June 6, 2004, 11:12 PM
Nope. Burlington MA! The most anti-gun state here.... I'm still amazed that a simple conversation opened their eyes. I'm going to try again if anyone brings the subject up, it couldn't hurt.

P95Carry
June 6, 2004, 11:27 PM
3rd rail ..... others.

Know what - I think here we have not just ''anti's'' and ''pro's'' .... we have ''agnostics'' ..... people who are hovering around being anti's but (thank heaven) still seem to have open enough minds to be able to listen to logic and fact.

True anti's are usually so closed-minded and emotion driven, that almost no amount of rational explanation gets thru - they change subject or clam up .... and escape!

The agnostics .. and I hope they represent quite a number - can and it seems will, ''come around'' if made to think and are presented with good facts.

This is not to demean this particular achievement - one bit .. but seems these folk were at least receptive to input and listened and learned ....... and saw things better.

We all need to do this every chance we can.

Hawkmoon
June 7, 2004, 12:51 PM
Know what - I think here we have not just ''anti's'' and ''pro's'' .... we have ''agnostics'' ..... people who are hovering around being anti's but (thank heaven) still seem to have open enough minds to be able to listen to logic and fact.
Quite true. If you live in an area populated mostly by liberals, that's often all you are exposed to and their "party line" assumes the status of dogma because you don't hear anything to counter it.

Non-RKBA example: Many years ago I heard of a group calling itself "Rails to Trails." Their "thing" was to find railroad rights-of-way that were being abandoned by the railroads and, under a Federal law called the Railbanking Act, establish grass roots efforts to convert these rights-of-way into hiking and biking trails rather than let the rights-of-way get gobbled up by developers and lost completely.

Sounds like a win-win -- people get trails, and if in the future the country returns to railroads, the rights-of-way are still intact. Or so I thought. Something I saw in a mailer disturbed me, though, so I called them and asked what if in an area where they had converted a rail line to a trail, the needs of the region changed and the government wanted to re-establish the railroad.

"Oh, we would oppose that very strongly."

So there it is. They don't mind using a convenient law to get what they want, but when the other end of the law (which represents the INTENT of the law) comes around, God forbid you should ask them to adhere to said law.

FThorn
June 7, 2004, 01:51 PM
you can drink beer while 17.

you assumed he meant an alcoholic beverage.

Mikul
June 7, 2004, 03:11 PM
Articulate, polite, and accurate... that's the way.

Very nicely done. You did a good thing.

Now... don't let it go to your head.;)

BowStreetRunner
June 7, 2004, 07:32 PM
great story!!!
wow, chalk one up for Third Rail and the good guys!
BSR

If you enjoyed reading about "Wonderful encounter with antis" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!