buying used guns

PDA

whm1974
June 6, 2004, 08:54 PM
Ok I just got my IL FOID yestiday and so I'm in the market for some firearms. While I've handle and shot guns before, problem is I haven't done so since '96. I also haven't been keeping track of the various gun laws either.

So what are the laws covering buying guns from private indivduals? In the state of Illinois?

Thanks

Bill Meadows

If you enjoyed reading about "buying used guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HankB
June 7, 2004, 01:17 PM
I think the seller is supposed to verify the buyer has an IL FOID and keep a record of the sale for 10 years.

Not long ago, I read that they were prosecuting some guy for selling a pistol to another party and NOT keeping the record for 10 years. The sale was legal, but the were under political pressure to bust SOMEBODY since the gun turned up in a crime. They couldn't do it to the buyer, even though he'd failed to register the gun, since he was a Chicago cop . . . and prosecuting a cop would look bad.

whm1974
June 7, 2004, 01:45 PM
I think the seller is supposed to verify the buyer has an IL FOID and keep a record of the sale for 10 years.

Not long ago, I read that they were prosecuting some guy for selling a pistol to another party and NOT keeping the record for 10 years. The sale was legal, but the were under political pressure to bust SOMEBODY since the gun turned up in a crime. They couldn't do it to the buyer, even though he'd failed to register the gun, since he was a Chicago cop . . . and prosecuting a cop would look bad.

I don't think we have gun registerion in this state, unless you are refering to Chicago.
Did the gun get stolen from the buyer? I'm hearing that states are getting rather nasty about
people who have guns stolen from them.

Bill Meadows

NukemJim
June 7, 2004, 04:13 PM
read that they were prosecuting some guy for selling a pistol to another party and NOT keeping the record for 10 years

The short version is as follows. Prior to going to Nam ( late 60's )a Marine bought a .380 Walther. He comes home safe.

In the early 90's said Marine was homeless and having alcohol problems. He sold the gun to a CPD officer ( who did NOT register the gun with the city or with the PD both a no-no , FYI CPD does not allow an officer to carry a walther of any type ) but did not get a receipt.

1st CPD officer sells it to a 2nd CPD officer ( Who also does not register it with city or PD as required )

Both officers die of natural causes

The 2nd officers widow says he told her he was selling all but one of his guns prior to his death.

Somehow ( I have never heard how ) this gun gets ahold of a loonytune who shoots up an auto radiator business kills 4 people before killing himself.

So 9 years after the gun is sold to a CPD officer by a homeless man the CPD arrest the homeless man for not having a receipt and throw him in jail on a $100,000 bail.

Judge eventually drops or minifies charges.

Welcom to Chicago :barf: :cuss: :fire: :banghead:

NukemJim

whm1974
June 7, 2004, 11:39 PM
I'm wondering about this but how many people really keep records for 10 years?
People move and can very easy lose paperwork. Or they could be doing repairs the house they live in and the record gets lost in the trash and debre. I lost a copy of my court records because of the latter.

Bill Meadows

BryanP
June 8, 2004, 10:11 AM
I'm wondering about this but how many people really keep records for 10 years?

Buy a filing cabinet. Use it properly. You should have a file folder hanging in it under the F's labeled "Firearms - Sold Receipts." You could also have a second folder "Firearms - Purchase Receipts."

I keep copies of my taxes, birth certificate, resume, school records, passport, car titles, appliance warranties, major car repairs etc.. all filed neatly. Put a lock on the filing cabinet if you feel the need.

My wife thought it would be funny to file our marriage license under "major appliance warranties." :D

whm1974
June 8, 2004, 12:48 PM
Buy a filing cabinet. Use it properly. You should have a file folder hanging in it under the F's labeled "Firearms - Sold Receipts." You could also have a second folder "Firearms - Purchase Receipts."

That wouldn't be a bad idea. I could also keep copys in a safe deposit box as well.

Bill Meadows

WilderBill
June 8, 2004, 04:00 PM
Somehow I just can't see hauling around a filling cabinet while being homeless and looking for safe place to sleep each night.

If you enjoyed reading about "buying used guns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!