George Washington slept here...

PDA

4v50 Gary
February 11, 2003, 10:59 PM
Just came back from Virginia and I visited Fredericksburg where the National Park service has one of the best Civil War libraries (it's second to the NPS lib. at Gettysburg) in the country. I want a job there - now. Across the Rappahannock River is Burnside's HQ, Chatam House. George Washington (as well as Abe Lincoln) both slept there. No kiddin.

Was also down in Yorktown to do research in their library. Was surprised to see a tent under which George Washington slept. It's sealed off so there's no touch and souvenir collecting. Parts of the old fortifications used by Cornwallis (and later Magruder) still exists and Yorktown is worth visiting.

If you enjoyed reading about "George Washington slept here..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jjmorgan64
February 12, 2003, 01:13 PM
Excelent, Where are your pics now.

Mike Irwin
February 13, 2003, 02:05 AM
Let's face it. George Washington slept everywhere.

He got around. ;)

4v50 Gary
February 13, 2003, 10:14 AM
Mike, are you raising an inference that it's not where Geo. slept but with whom he slept with? ;)

Mike Irwin
February 13, 2003, 02:17 PM
I've seen the portraits of Martha...

I think I'd be stepping out, too...

BigG
February 13, 2003, 02:27 PM
The Fredricksburg battlefield made my hair stand on end. When I saw the sunken road I could just imagine the waves of advancing yankees getting mowed down like wheat.

Poodleshooter
February 13, 2003, 04:32 PM
There was a hotel in my hometown that boasted of a GW visit. I think it's a prerequisite for towns to incorporate on the East Coast.
I just visited Petersburg and The Crater a few weeks back. Very humbling to stand near the lip of that small crater staring down where so many were trapped and died.

If you enjoyed reading about "George Washington slept here..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!