Blind and still shootin'

PDA

Yohan
February 11, 2003, 11:25 PM
Do you think that blind people should still be allowed to own guns? Glock owners enthusiasts must be blind. NO other logical explanation for the reason that they would spend MONEY buying the ugly contraption. But, I guess some people will never see. Seriously however, I don't think blind people should be allowed to have guns.

If you enjoyed reading about "Blind and still shootin'" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
EJ
February 11, 2003, 11:36 PM
People (in this country at least) aren't "ALLOWED" to own guns--
It is a right--

Though there are those that would make it a privledge -- I for one -- will endeavor to prevent that day from comming--

BerettaNut92
February 11, 2003, 11:38 PM
LOL you crack me up little buddy.

I gotta disagree but you still crack me up.

Yohan
February 11, 2003, 11:42 PM
EJ- so you would have no problem with Blind people purchasing guns? Is there a law against it currently? I'd be surprised if there wasn't one. :eek:

EJ
February 11, 2003, 11:47 PM
Nope-- untill they prove otherwise -- I presuppose that the firearm will be used lawfully --
Collected -- whatever--
And I believe -- (Though of course I could allways be mistaken) There are no federal nor midwest state prohibitions on blind ownership of firearms--
I really don't think it's that uncommon-- I believe I read last year of a Wisc blind Hunter getting his buck--With help of course--
Now I don't know if blind hunting is a good idea and I'm not proposing it-- But I use it as an example of EVERYONE's right to own a firearm--

Yohan
February 11, 2003, 11:55 PM
I'd feel uneasy knowing that a blind person was handling a gun. You do whatever you want, EJ. A blind person, come on dude. Safety is a big issue here. I also don't want convicted criminals to get their hands on guns.

Ed Brunner
February 11, 2003, 11:57 PM
My brother has a blind friend who is a very accomplished pistol shooter. He has made a number of tone generators and bullet traps and can hit the sound. He likes BHP's and wanted to know if the ones with adjustable sights were any more accurate than the fixed sight models, other than the sights. Said that if it wasn't accurate he had no need for it. Very safe shooter.

EJ
February 12, 2003, 12:01 AM
Whew-- I though I was alone here for a sec-- Thanks for showin' up Ed--

Anyway--
I don't personally feel comfortable with the fact that idiots can have guns-- (Come on--Come on -- we've all seen 'em)
But I still would defend their right to--
And I think we all know (sighted) shooters that are more dangerous to us and to to our rights--

Yohan
February 12, 2003, 12:03 AM
I guess blind people wouldn't need to spend extra money on laser sights. I just wonder how people who are born blind could get accoustomed to pistols. How do they know how to sight in their rifle?

Haha- reminds me of the famous Star Wars scene..

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/starwars/swzs/lego/sw-lego/7104_00.jpg
"A little higher!"
:)

Yohan
February 12, 2003, 12:05 AM
http://www.britishblindsport.org.uk/other.htm#target
Sure, let blind people shoot with supervision. But ownership? Isn't that kind of risque?

EJ
February 12, 2003, 12:10 AM
Suppose someone will yell at me for this-- But I kinda' agree with you ref the Glock thing-- after this latest Bullistic (sp) Fingerprinting fiasco--maybe deaf and Dumb (Dumb referring to stupid) too---;)

I would hope that if I or another of my friends went blind that we would retain our interest in fine mechanical devices such as firearms-- and as to people blind from birth -- I would assume that their's is an interest fostered by obtaining knowledge through braile or audible sources that gave them a respect and interest in these beautifull machines we all enjoy possessing and using.

PS I can't get your pic to load--

Yohan
February 12, 2003, 12:14 AM
Yes, I mean- I just wanted to see what people thought about ownership. Blind people- heck, if I had any blind friends, I'd drag them down to the gun range. I'd make sure that they'd wear ear protection though. It'd be horrible to lose your hearing as a blind person. I guess even blind people should wear eye protection because you can never be too sure. But, I just don't know how a blind person would safely load the magazine, apperciate the finer things such as the beauty of the 1911. Even blind people would hate Glocks since it feels as nasty as it looks. I was just wondering how blind people aimed, and I guess I found the answer myself. I'm rambling. Yes.

EJ
February 12, 2003, 12:21 AM
If you lose something as basic to your life as sight -- nothing is ever the same-- but I believe one would try to hold on to whatever made them feel the most "normal//regular" before--
Friends//family // and the little things--like love of firearms--

A person born blind would (I can only guess) want to broaden their experiences as much as possible--
I am a diabetic -- so perhaps I think more about blindness and am perhaps more paranoid // concerned with life in that condition--(Knock wood)

But you got the right idea -- You had a thought and checked it out--
The Brit web site was interesting--- Shows that people don't always give up or give in---:)

Sorry if I sounded like I was preachin'

jsalcedo
February 12, 2003, 01:44 AM
Maybe we are talking legally blind..

there are some folks who have fuzzy vison but can make out basic shapes.

There are also legally blind folks with no peripheral vision.

Matt G
February 12, 2003, 07:00 AM
Just because a person is without sight, doesn't mean they have no judgement. Please reconsider your opinion and choice of words; a lawful citizen should not have to be "allowed" to arm himself.

It is his right.

Navy joe
February 12, 2003, 09:43 AM
I was actually thinking of this the other day. I decided why the heck not? What could be a more attractive criminal target than some guy moseying down the street with his "Hey look at me world, I'm blind" stick? I doubt we will ever see a completely blind person winning pistol matches, but I bet that someone born with no sight whatsoever could be trained to get good hits at ten yards and in with defensive type shooting. That and a German Sheperd guide dog and I think they are set.

10-Ring
February 12, 2003, 10:06 AM
If a blind person has a need for a firearm...more power to them. You start restricting ownership for being blind, you might as well restrict for being stupid, this color or that, male or female...not a good road to go down! :scrutiny:

Steve Smith
February 12, 2003, 10:19 AM
EJ, I have your back. The blind have no fewer rights than any other human!

Maybe we are talking legally blind..

I mean blind as a bat!

bedlamite
February 12, 2003, 10:54 AM
Legally blind doesn't mean you can't see well enough to shoot. I know someone who is legally blind, and usually carries a cane with him, yet managed to get a drivers license (He's also smart enough to realize he shouldn't be driving, and doesn't) Says something about the Wisconsin DMV, doesn't it :scrutiny:

I just don't know how a blind person would safely load the magazine

I do. The human body can compensate tremendously for the loss of one of the senses. ALL of the other senses become much more acute. I'd bet you could tell just about any blind person that has never handled guns the difference between .380, 9x18 Mak and 9x19, and they would have a mixed bucket of empty brass sorted faster than you.

Leatherneck
February 12, 2003, 01:41 PM
Just what is it that qualifies you to impose such a restriction on another competent adult? :fire:

TC
TFL Survivor

Redlg155
February 12, 2003, 02:04 PM
Rights are rights, no matter what physical disabilities you may have.

A blind person still has the right to defend themselves. Saying they shouldn't be allowed to own a gun takes away that right.

The same goes for not being allowed to have a handgun under 21....anyone know that feeling? ;)

Good Shooting
Red

Chris Rhines
February 12, 2003, 02:14 PM
Seriously, Yohan. You're pulling our leg, right? Right?

- Chris

Correia
February 12, 2003, 02:28 PM
I know somebody locally who is "legally" blind but has a CCW and carries a G26. He still sees some blurry things and movement. I think his plan is to shoot the blurry one that is attacking him. Works for me.

How do blind people load magazines? Probably better and faster than most of us here who would have to look at the mag to do it.

The Mighty Beagle
February 12, 2003, 02:45 PM
Yohan, it probably would be a good idea for you to educate yourself a little before making blanket statements what "blind" folks ought to be doing.

In many cases, "blind" simply means "diminished sight" or "visually impaired". Most blind people actually have sight to some degree, They're not all in a world of total darkness. They just don't see as well as you. But remember, many daily activities, and surprisingly, shooting, do not necessarily depend of having fabulous eyesight to hit a target within 10 feet of you.

Blind people with guns? Not a problem. Ignorant, intellectually-lazy people, now there's a problem. I see some of the stupidest gun-handling by SIGHTED people, so much so that I won't even go to a public range anymore.

Why would a blind person need a gun?

Well, they walk everywhere they need to go, and probably are limited to urban environments where public transportation is available.

Remember, while you're safe in your car as you drive to the store at 11:00 p.m., a blind person will be hoofing it. Have you ever had to rely on public transportation? There are some scary characters you run into at bus terminals, not to mention all the homeless people and druggie-types you bump into on the streets after dark.

Be advised there are probably some legally-blind folks on this very forum you just insulted.

ball3006
February 12, 2003, 02:47 PM
they have as much of a chance of hitting the target as any cop....chris3

Art Eatman
February 12, 2003, 07:25 PM
Seems to me that Yohan is equating "blind" with "mentally incompetent".

A blind person certainly doesn't lose the sense of touch, so as a collector he can certainly feel and appreciate the quality of a well-made weapon.

A blind person doesn't lose the sense of hearing, and binaural hearing allows accuracy in self-defense shooting.

I suggest that the lack of rational thought shown in the original post in this thread would have the author higher on my list of "denied persons" than the average individual who happens to be blind.

:D, Art

Don Gwinn
February 13, 2003, 08:08 AM
Sheesh.

Think about the reasoning you've provided for this restriction.
"I don't think they could appreciate the beauty of a 1911."

That's nice, but so what? Are we going to have New York art critics handing out gun licenses? Now aesthetic appreciation is a requirement?

Byron Quick
February 13, 2003, 06:04 PM
When I was a child, my grandmother's elderly neiqhbor was blind...totally blind since birth. I've seen that woman drop a needle and unerringly pick it off the floor. I asked her how. She said she heard it. I couldn't hear anything.

Once she got used to shooting a pistol, I don't think you'd want her to hear you coming in her house.

But bottom line, it's not a matter of "allow." You don't have the legal right to allow a blind person to own a firearm. You don't have the legal right to forbid a blind person to own a firearm. Neither does anyone else.

EJ
February 13, 2003, 07:08 PM
BYRON QUICK

But bottom line, it's not a matter of "allow." You don't have the legal right to allow a blind person to own a firearm. You don't have the legal right to forbid a blind person to own a firearm. Neither does anyone else.

Exactly --- :D

larryw
February 13, 2003, 08:00 PM
Rights don't vary with physical characteristics.

My brother in law recently lost his vision to diabetes. He didn't lose his honor, morality, integrity or tremendous sense of personal responsibility, only his sight. He owns a gun and you're saying his right to self defense be taken along with his sight?

Like they say, "come and get them."

If you enjoyed reading about "Blind and still shootin'" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!