Legalities of travelling to CA with handguns

PDA

Oleg Volk
June 8, 2004, 04:14 PM
I keep getting invitations from family and friends to come to SF. I'd like an explanation of the legal constraints on bringing my own pistols along. Can anyone help?

If you enjoyed reading about "Legalities of travelling to CA with handguns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Guns_and_Labs
June 8, 2004, 04:32 PM
www.packing.org has a bit more info, as does the CA AG at http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/travel.htm .

It has to be legal here, i.e. no hi-caps.

If transporting it, the unloaded firearm must be in a locked box in the trunk or in a locked box (Not the glove box or console) inside the vehicle. Local interpretation usually is that the mags can't be loaded in the same container.

Needless to say, concealed carry for a non-resident is a definite no-no, and open carry is largely illegal in any town or city. Definitely illegal in SF.

Checking in at SFO usually isn't a problem, so far. Only two guns checked is the rule, but I've checked four with their blessing (and a promise to share any venison).

R.H. Lee
June 8, 2004, 04:36 PM
Jim March of course carries this stuff around in his head. But as a practical matter, if the firearm and magazines are unloaded, in the trunk you will be ok in the very unlikely event your are stopped and searched. If the firearm is inside the car or cab of a truck, it must be unloaded and in a locked container.

Jim March
June 8, 2004, 04:42 PM
You CAN bring in a "junk gun" :rolleyes: not on the approved "safe" list. (Like the Korth, that's "junk" here. Grrr.)

In you're in-state 60 days or more, you have to voluntarily register your handguns.

You can't bring in "assault weapons", or high-cap mags.

Hollowpoints are OK, but tracers are a felony each :barf:.

Guns_and_Labs
June 8, 2004, 05:26 PM
But as a practical matter, if the firearm and magazines are unloaded, in the trunk you will be ok in the very unlikely event your are stopped and searched.

While most of us would consider a trunk a "locked container", SFPD does not. At least from the perspective of the officer with whom I spoke. If it's not in its own little locked box, and they find it, they will consider it a violation. He mumbled something about trunks being accessible from the interior on many cars.

Most other jurisdictions agree with RileyMC.

ClonaKilty
June 8, 2004, 05:45 PM
Oleg:

The above advice is all correct. If you're planning to go shooting with your friends & family while here, go ahead and bring along the fightin' irons. However the only way you're legally allowed to use the pistol (or any gun) to defend yourself in CA is within the walls of your temporary abode. I.e., DON'T carry it around with you.

If you're not planning on doing any recreational shooting, then with all the hassle involved, are you sure you still want to bring it? A knife and a can of Fox pepper spray are allowed and while not as good as a gun, are better than nothing.

Standing Wolf
June 8, 2004, 06:06 PM
In you're in-state 60 days or more, you have to voluntarily register your handguns.

All those who fail to volunteer will be sent to reeducation camps.

fjolnirsson
June 8, 2004, 07:45 PM
Doin' any photo shoots while you're here, Oleg?

Oleg Volk
June 8, 2004, 09:49 PM
Mostly trying to figure out if I want to go, even to see friends. The answer is obviously NO. My friends can come to TN instead.

artherd
June 9, 2004, 02:56 AM
Oleg- they have to be not SB32 assault weapons (and yes the Walther P22 is an assault pistol...)

They also must have no high-caps (regulated seperately.)

However, they do NOT have to be on the 'CA approved for FFL purchases" safe handgun list. You can bring in that custom 1911 that nobody in CA's ever heard of.

If transporting it, the unloaded firearm must be in a locked box in the trunk or in a locked box (Not the glove box or console) inside the vehicle.

The trunk does count as a 'locked container'. Container secured by a "Lock" which is furthur defined to include "Key, combination, or other lock".
"Glove box" and "Utility Compartment" are specifically singled out as a no-no (even if they have a lock.) but the trunk IS A LOCKING CONTAINER!

Local interpretation usually is that the mags can't be loaded in the same container.

"Local interpretation" is full of ????. The mag may not be "attached to" the gun. In the same box hardly qualifies. "Local interpretation" may be that it's illegal to be Black on a Friday Night too, dosen't make it right, or legal, or court-worthy.

If they want to *knowingly* arreast me under false pretense, well, my attorney could use the settlement $. Infact, it'd make his whole month!

If you enjoyed reading about "Legalities of travelling to CA with handguns" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!