Glass Bedding vs. Pillar Bedding

PDA

macavada
June 8, 2004, 08:22 PM
Can anyone explain to me what are the fundamentals of each process? I've got a gun that I'd like to accurize, but I don't have any experience. I've seen the sleeves that Brownell's sells.

Is one way more advantageous than the other? Opinions please.

Thanks,
Marco

If you enjoyed reading about "Glass Bedding vs. Pillar Bedding" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Traveler
June 9, 2004, 08:05 AM
Pillar bedding is a variation of glass bedding. The difference is that in glass bedding you use the epoxy to fit up certain areas for the stock and action to insure a rigid fit.

Pillar bedding uses the epoxy to hold the pillars, which normally are columns that allow the two main action screws to pass through. The action rests on the top of the pillars and is kept rigid by the inflexablity of the stock and action.

Pillar bedding without making sure there is no flex in the action or stock will not accomplish the task. However, if done correctly it is the superior method. True pillar bedding requires the use of a mill to machine the final fit to exact tolerences. I find that both the stock and the action usually require mill work.

JNewell
June 9, 2004, 01:01 PM
You can do pillar bedding without a mill for sure, but it is more complicated than simple glass bedding. Brownells sells kits and probably has instructions available somewhere on their website. There's also a very good discussion in a book called Accurizing the Factory Rifle that's available from the publisher of The Accurate Rifle and Precision Shooting magazines.

Clark
June 9, 2004, 02:20 PM
This rilfe has both.

The gray stuff is the "Glass Bedding"
The brass circles are the "pillar beddeing"

The glass makes a more perfect action to stock fit.
The pillars make tightening up the action screws not squish or flex the stock.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=926374

http://www272.pair.com/stevewag/turk/turkbed1.html

JeffC
June 9, 2004, 03:36 PM
Clark's pic....

.... Mosin Nagant, right?

edited: of course it is... I thought I saw that pic somewhere before :o

Clark
June 9, 2004, 05:35 PM
That is why I wrote:
one picture for all occasions:)

1) pillar bedding
2) glass bedding
3) tape to control the trigger pull and take up

macavada
June 9, 2004, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the pic! That shows a lot.

Marco

stans
June 9, 2004, 09:52 PM
tape to control the trigger pull and take up

Oh, whoa! Wait just a minute! Tape to control trigger pull and take up? That's just waaaaaaaay too high tech for me!:D

Clark
June 10, 2004, 12:19 AM
Red Green, "Nothings says poor workmanship like uneven duck tape."

You should see the disgust on my perfectionist brother's face when I out shoot him with my Mauser that has masking tape between the scope mount and reciever, and it hangs out an extra half inch where I tore it off:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Glass Bedding vs. Pillar Bedding" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!