teens without guns find other ways to commit suicide

PDA

Stebalo
June 10, 2004, 06:23 PM
http://drkoop.com/template.asp?page=newsdetail&ap=93&id=1504295

Suicidal Youths Turn to Hanging Instead of Guns

A new report finds that suicidal young people are less likely to use firearms to take their own lives, but the survey finds little comfort in the trend because they are turning to more readily available methods.

In the last decade, suffocation -- notably hanging -- has overtaken firearms as the most common way for adolescents to kill themselves, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports.

The greatest change was among youngsters between 10 and 14 years old, where suicide by suffocation occurred twice as frequently as suicide by a self-inflicted gunshot. Firearms were the most common method before 1997, the report found.

Among those 15 to 19 years of age, however, suffocation suicides also increased, but firearms remained the method of choice in 2001.

In other findings, the CDC reported that young people who attempted suicide were four times as likely to have been involved in a fistfight in the previous year. However, a third survey found that those who committed a school-related suicide between 1994 and 1999 had no history of fighting or otherwise getting into trouble with the police.

The report in the CDC publication Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report had some good news: Overall, the suicide rate among people 10 to 19 years of age dropped from 6.2 per 100,000 people in 1992 to 4.6 per 100,000 in 2001.

If you enjoyed reading about "teens without guns find other ways to commit suicide" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Art Eatman
June 10, 2004, 06:28 PM
Regardless of age group, if one method is denied another will be found. This has been known and discussed by the Pshrinkworld for decades.

Art

standingbear
June 10, 2004, 08:43 PM
they will use whatever is available and easiest in their irrational thinking to use. Its human nature.

whm1974
June 10, 2004, 09:44 PM
I haven't done any research in this area but I thought most people who "offed"
themselfs either slit thier wrist or hang themselfs.

Bill

Stebalo
June 10, 2004, 09:58 PM
the suicide rate among people 10 to 19 years of age dropped from 6.2 per 100,000 people in 1992 to 4.6 per 100,000 in 2001.

I won't bother passing this particular article on to a lot of leftists I know only because I am sure they will credit that 25% decrease in teen suicides on the AWB.

F4GIB
June 10, 2004, 11:17 PM
Last week the Minnesota Department of Health reported that 3/4 of all gun deaths in the state are the result of successful suicide attempts. Recognizing that suicide, not gun use, was the "cause" of these deaths and acknowledging that adults have many options in their determination to terminate their lives, the MDH turned to the familiar anti-gun strategy of urging efforts to keep guns away from all youth under all circumstances.

Now, the federal CDC reports that the MDH recommended strategy WILL FAIL so long as rope is available.

Stand_Watie
June 10, 2004, 11:35 PM
Don't you know that that is a "success" in gungrabber speak? The administrations from nations and states which enact gun control will proudly point to these statistics as proof that gun control "works".

Marnoot
June 10, 2004, 11:48 PM
Just as criminals turn to other means of violence when guns are hard to get, so will suicidal people.

The report in the CDC publication Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report had some good news:

Probably not a magazine they should use for the waiting rooms at Dr.'s offices!:uhoh:

FMarlon
June 10, 2004, 11:53 PM
The day I dead is when they pass a bill to ban all "assault razors" and "High Capacity" Rope sales.

Before you know it, we will all live in a world that resembles a mental ward "for our protection".

I mean, after the guns what's next? Knives? Sports equipment?

Is this their next campaign?

"Support the Sports Equipment and all the other things that hurt people Ban!":banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Treylis
June 11, 2004, 09:53 AM
I've met a LOT of people who turned more anti-gun after a relative/friend killed themself with a gun. Total insanity... gee, if they didn't have a gun, they wouldn't have killed themselves? Hello, no. It's not like pills or sharp stuff is hard to get.

TheEgg
June 11, 2004, 10:51 AM
The tool means nothing, only the intent. Yesterday in North Dallas, a man stopped his car on a tall highway overpass, pulled the woman he was with out of the car, tossed her over the side into the traffic below, then jumped himself. Both are dead.

A very quick and effective murder - suicide; with no ropes, no guns, no razors, etc. I guess we could outlaw high places? :confused:

whm1974
June 11, 2004, 11:05 AM
Last week the Minnesota Department of Health reported that 3/4 of all gun deaths in the state are the result of successful suicide attempts

Yeah right.

I've met a LOT of people who turned more anti-gun after a relative/friend killed themself with a gun. Total insanity... gee, if they didn't have a gun, they wouldn't have killed themselves? Hello, no. It's not like pills or sharp stuff is hard to get.

Off hand I can't say that anyone like this. I do know a few people who turned pro-gun after they suffered a home invasion.

Bill

Logistics
June 11, 2004, 11:23 AM
>>>I do know a few people who turned pro-gun after they suffered a home invasion.<<<

Of course.......

Anyone know what a conservative is? A liberal that got mugged.

:D

cordex
June 11, 2004, 11:33 AM
Link is bad. Unless I missed the section of Obesity in Pregnancy Raises Birth Defect Risk discussing this. ;)

Stebalo
June 11, 2004, 12:00 PM
Yikes! They must have changed the page at that url. Sorry.

I searched their archive and can no longer find the above story.

I can find the above story in google news (http://news.google.com/news?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Suicidal+Youths+Turn+to+Hanging+Instead+of+Guns) but it leads to the same article that my link does now. Dr. Koop obviously changed the article at the end of that link.

Someone must have realized that it totally nullified one of the anti-gunners favorite arguments.

Stebalo
June 11, 2004, 01:47 PM
I have written to the parent company of DrKoop.com. This was the only contact email I could find anywhere on their website - cs@vitacost.com .

====================================================
Subect: question about "Suicidal Youths Turn to Hanging Instead of Guns"

To the editors of DrKoop.com,

Less than 24 hours ago, I read an article on DrKoop.com titled, "Suicidal Youths Turn to Hanging Instead of Guns," that was located at the url:
http://drkoop.com/template.asp?page=newsdetail&ap=93&id=1504295

Today when going to that link, there is now a story titled, "Obesity in Pregnancy Raises Birth Defect Risk." Searching through the entire DrKoop.com archives reveals that the original article about suicide, youths, and guns doesn't exist on the server any longer.

I am wondering if there is a specific reason why the original article was
1) Removed without a trace.
2) Replaced with an unrelated article at the original url.

This article stated that teens are turning from gun as a tool of suicide but are turning to other means by which to take their own life. This goes in direct opposition to the argument of the anti-gun lobby that a reduction of guns in the home will result in a reduction in teen suicide. In fact, the article supported the position of pro-Second Amendment civil rights groups that in the absence of guns, suicidal teens will find alternate means to commit suicide.

So I am left wondering if this article was deleted and all traces of it wiped away due to pressure for political correctness whether from sources internal or external. I expect higher ethical editorial standards from DrKoop.com than to suppress a significant article that may be controversial or politically unpopular so I hope this is not true.

Regards,

F4GIB
June 11, 2004, 04:02 PM
I have written to the parent company of DrKoop.com.

I'll bet you don't get a response.

The entire official "public health community" is against guns and willing to tell any lie to advance that cause.

whm1974
June 11, 2004, 04:20 PM
The entire official "public health community" is against guns and willing to tell any lie to advance that cause.

Maybe some "health workers" here can come up with a study that "proves" shooting guns relives stress... Or owning guns "improves" mental health...

Just a thought.

-Bill

NukemJim
June 12, 2004, 09:28 AM
Maybe some "health workers" here can come up with a study that "proves" shooting guns relives stress... Or owning guns "improves" mental health...

I've been a health care worker ( Nuclear Medicine, Radiology, Medical Photography ) for 3 decades now.

It works for me:)

NukemJim

F4GIB
June 13, 2004, 02:17 AM
CDC report is here http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5322a2.htm

Roc_Kor
June 13, 2004, 12:52 PM
Stop talking about me!

I'm 15 and YES, I'm diagnosed with depression, YES I go to therapy, and YES I'm on medication, and YES I've contemplated suicide (not in a while, though). (I also went to the Psychiatric part of a hospital where I stayed for a week and did group therapy, but that was a while ago. I also volunteered myself into the facility so I'm still legally eligable to own a gun when I turn 18/21. YAY!)

I'm much better now, but during the rocky moments of my life, I did want to kill myself. Yes we do have guns in the house, but no, I couldn't get to them. (Rifle was hidden, pistols locked up.) I told the doctor about my (newfound) hobby of guns. He said they were bad, and that ALL GUNS should be REMOVED from my house. W...T...F!? If I really was gonna kill myself, I'd use the bungie cords, hatchet, crowbar, power drill, saw, electric saw in the garage, or how about the knives in the kitchen? My father's razor blades? How about all them shiny pills in the medicine cabinet? Plenty of chemicals in the house, too.

And this guy ONLY told me to ditch my hobby and get rid of all guns in the house? **** that. The funny thing is, he had a Russian/Eastern European name and accent. To think that after the Cold War ended, he would have embraced the newfound freedom of being able to own guns. (Assuming that he lived there and not in the States.)

Just my 2 cents. Or, how about THREE CENTS? Yeah! :cool:

atek3
June 13, 2004, 09:29 PM
Anyone know what a conservative is? A liberal that got mugged.

Anyone know what a libertarian is? A conservative that got arrested.

:)

atek3

Art Eatman
June 14, 2004, 01:06 AM
Purely from FWIW: It is not uncommon for someone in their teens or early twenties to contemplate suicide. Contemplate, not attempt. The Pshrinks are concerned as to the degree of the urge, not the thoughts themselves.

Heck, back fifty years ago the notion crossed my mind during some rough times. It never got beyond the stray-thought stage, because I was afraid I might miss something, and because I somehow got into "This too shall pass." mode.

I note that an attitude of "This too shall pass." is indeed helpful if you're married...

:), Art

twoblink
June 14, 2004, 01:56 AM
I'm sorry, but I've heard of a lot of methods of people taking their own lives... But I don't seem to recall anybody doing it with a so called "assault weapon". When was the last time someone tried to commit suicide with a Full Auto??:rolleyes:

In Japan, one of the weapons of choice for suicides is the little Bonsai Tree pruning knives (also, one of the favorites for assault with a deadly weapon) what, we are going to make pruning scissors illegal?? (Wait, that was sarcasm, not a suggestion, stupid senators...)

From locking yourself in the car garage and turning on the car, to jumping off a bridge, I can list 1001 ways to die without the involvement of a gun...

But wait, we made underage smoking and drinking illegal and see how great THAT worked? Prohibition works like a charm :barf:

If you enjoyed reading about "teens without guns find other ways to commit suicide" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!