Time of Day

PDA

George S.
June 11, 2004, 12:17 PM
I notice that the time of day displayed on the Forum pages is 1 hour off (behind) from my current time zone. I live in WA state and the time zone is Pacific Daylight Time.

I have set my time zone in the Options page to be GMT -8 hours (Pacific time) and that is what is shown at the botom of the main page but the time displayed is actually GMT -7 hours. There does not seem to be a selection for Daylight Savings Time and it looks like that is why the time is off by an hour.

Does the Fourm software have a selectable Daylight Time capability but just not in use ??

If you enjoyed reading about "Time of Day" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TheBluesMan
June 12, 2004, 11:01 AM
We keep the server sync'd with GMT for a number of reasons - not the least of which is that not everyone observes DST.

Greater detail may be found in this thread:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17287

Sorry it took so long for your question to be answered. :o

tyme
June 14, 2004, 03:03 PM
Not only does not everybody observe it, some parts of the southern hemisphere observe it in reverse, and Israel (for one) does not change to DST at the same time as most other locations.

The latter may be stupid, but it's a fact. Just figure out what your GMT offset is and set your time to that. Most watches aren't smart enough to auto-adjust for GMT for precisely these reasons: the date of change to DST is not standardized, the southern hemisphere is fundamentally different, and DST is not universally observed.

I believe vb3 uses javascript to grab your computer's time, so this whole issue will moot after the upgrade.

If you enjoyed reading about "Time of Day" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!