Bruce Willis? "Tears of the Sun"

PDA

JamisJockey
February 12, 2003, 01:29 PM
Anyone know where Bruce Willis is on the 2nd amendment and RKBA?
seeing previews for his new movie, Tears of the Sun (http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/tearsofthesun/) , and it looks like good entertainment. Other then the fact that the premise is that he disobeys orders during a mission :banghead: for some moral good...can't expect hollyweird to be perfect....

If you enjoyed reading about "Bruce Willis? "Tears of the Sun"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
David Roberson
February 12, 2003, 01:51 PM
Willis is in his mid-40s -- seems a little old to be playing a character who is still a lieutenant.

Russ
February 12, 2003, 01:54 PM
I think he is pro gun. I heard him say in an interview that he thought everyone should be able to own a gun. He didn't qualify it at all. That was several years ago but I think he is still a conservative.

Schuey2002
February 12, 2003, 02:01 PM
Mr. Willis with a HK MK23 SOCOM, you can't go wrong with that..:D :evil:
http://web.axelero.hu/szlejer2/tears.jpg

Ebbtide
February 12, 2003, 02:28 PM
Willis is in his mid-40s -- seems a little old to be playing a character who is still a lieutenant.

Hmmmm....

I would guess that the script said that he used to be a Major but got busted....either for sleeping with a Generals daughter, or conducting some black ops mission that he could not talk about, but I'm certain he will save the day, again.

Correia
February 12, 2003, 02:29 PM
I recall reading that Bruce Willis was actually very pro gun, pretty much pro everything actually, kind of falls into the just leave me alone and let me do what I want camp.

Plus I actually think he is a pretty good actor.

BerettaNut92
February 12, 2003, 02:33 PM
Yippie kai-yaay ;)

Carlos Cabeza
February 12, 2003, 02:51 PM
hehehe Skink er I mean Skunk (typo but I left it in)! I heard he was pro 2nd also.

jmbg29
February 12, 2003, 02:53 PM
Willis is in his mid-40s -- seems a little old to be playing a character who is still a lieutenant.The Navy offers Officers Candidate School, Limited Duty Officer and Warrant Officer opportunities in addition to Naval R.O.T.C. and the Naval Academy. A Navy Chief in his thirties could quite easily become a Limited Duty Officer, and work his way through Ensign, Lt. (Junior Grade) to Lieutenant by his 40's.

The group that I served in in the Navy uses Warrant officers almost to the exclusion of other types of officers with the exception of an occasional L.D.O.

My W.O.s (we addressed them with the honorific "Gunner") were in their 30s and 40s. Not only could they kick *** in the conventional fashion, but we learned the adage "Age and treachery will overcome youth and skill." the hard way. :evil:

Viking6
February 12, 2003, 04:04 PM
The Navy Lieutenant is equivalent to an Army, Marine or Air Force Captain, n'est pas?

Ebbtide
February 12, 2003, 04:43 PM
The Navy is phasing out its WO program. I think there are about 1680 WO in the Navy now. That is out af a total of 54,000 officers.

WO's can only go from W1 to W-5. A commision still requires a degree.

As technology and military demands change there is no substitute for a formal education.

MitchSchaft
February 12, 2003, 04:48 PM
That movie looks horrible.

JamisJockey
February 12, 2003, 05:31 PM
Please note the acceptable use of trigger-finger control in the photo
:D
http://web.axelero.hu/szlejer2/tears.jpg
Not too many hollyweird types would have thier finger outside the trigger gaurd in a movie...

Camel
February 12, 2003, 07:01 PM
I noticed that too but you beat me to it :p

Spackler
February 12, 2003, 07:31 PM
That movie looks horrible.

Based on what? All I've seen is a thirty second television commercial. Did you catch the trailer?

MitchSchaft
February 12, 2003, 08:53 PM
Yes, from the trailer it looks like a flop, IMO.

Spark
February 12, 2003, 09:06 PM
Looks interesting to me. Isn't this the one that Bruce got injured on during a jump?

Certainly looks like the consultants got some things right judging by the trailers.

Kevin

Pendragon
February 12, 2003, 09:10 PM
I dont understand what is horrible about a few military people having to extricate themselves and trying to help save some lives from genocidal killers in the process.

Could be good, might be bad, but I like the premise. the message seems to be:

"Human life is worth defending"

Hmm, now where have I heard that :)

aikidoka-mks
February 12, 2003, 09:17 PM
A friend of mine asked me what i thought of the film and I said it looks good but it depends on if they blow weapons handling and tactics badly. Then I see the clip where the jets are flying in LOW with explosions all around. Seemed a bit far fetched to me but cant expect perfection from hollywood - makes for a "nice" screen shot though - so Im still going to go see it.

Mark

Schuey2002
February 12, 2003, 09:17 PM
Flop or no flop, who cares ??

It's all about the Bling-Bling, baby!

No, make that Bang-Bang...:evil:

BigJake_old
February 12, 2003, 09:35 PM
Well, if i'm gona waste money on a movie at the theatre, i'd rather spend it watching bruce willis shoot badguys for an hour and a half then on any of the other pathetic excuses for film currently playin, and with this, i can pretend that my 7.00$ isn't goin to some bleedin heart liberal actor, even if he isn't pro-RKBA.

Phil Ca
February 12, 2003, 09:36 PM
When I was perticipating in the SE Asia War GAmes in 65/66 I met a lieutenant that was the oldest in the US Army. He was a former Cuban refugee and he was 40 years old. While on this particular patrol he and a sergeant kept arguing about the use of the "L" shaped ambush we were about to set up. I for one was an ordnance person not infantry and I was only interested in getting back in one piece.

Mike Irwin
February 12, 2003, 11:35 PM
I'd say it's a shame that he's playing anyone.

Bruce Willis has all the acting ability of a gopher that didn't quite make it across the highway.

At least, however, the gopher would get an academy award for best special effects for the guts & blood.

Justin
February 12, 2003, 11:58 PM
Willis is good for what he does. Action roles where he gives the badguy the steely blue-eyed look before blowing them away.
I wouldn't expect to see him in an overly cerebral drama any more than I would expect to see Mickey Rooney doing a Jerry Bruckheimer action flick.

QKRTHNU
February 13, 2003, 12:28 AM
Willis is good for what he does. Action roles where he gives the badguy the steely blue-eyed look before blowing them away.
I wouldn't expect to see him in an overly cerebral drama any more than I would expect to see Mickey Rooney doing a Jerry Bruckheimer action flick.:confused:
I guess you haven't seen any of his other movies then?
Here's a few of his non-super-action-movies.

12 Monkeys - One of my personal favorites. I highly recommend it. Also one of Brad Pitt's best roles as well.

Breakfast of Champions - Wierd movie, but Bruce Willis did a good job.

Unbreakable - Not what I expected, also a good movie

The Sixth Sense - Good movie, especially if you don't already know the ending.

Mike Irwin
February 13, 2003, 01:41 AM
OK, QKR,

I'll give Willis his due. I had forgotten about Sixth Sense.

He was actually VERY good in that movie.

Pendragon
February 13, 2003, 04:03 AM
I think it is silly to put too much weight on a movies weapon and tactical accuracy. Sure its fun to note, but a movie is about telling a story. If someone was telling you a story, would you expect them to remember every weapon, who had their finger on the trigger, etc? Now - some people would remember all that stuff, but we all remember different details.

It is fun when they make an attempt to get it right, but as long as they are not horrible, I liet it slide and it does not make me enjoy the movie any less if they cock the gun twice or whatever.

There have been a lot of debates in the computer game designer field (whatever). Some people complain about various unrealistic aspects of a game (like picking up health kits in Medal of Honor).

The general consensus is that realism has to yield to good game play. Getting killed by one bullet is certainly realistic, but its not fun for most people.

So it is with movie making which is a very visual art form. Sometimes realism has to bend to make a compelling spectacle.

Kahr carrier
February 13, 2003, 08:10 AM
The commercials make the Movie look interesting .I thought that Bruce Willis was pretty good in Armageddon.

Viking6
February 13, 2003, 08:23 AM
I plan to see "Tears of the Sun". There's something about heroic efforts against long odds for a just cause that plucks the old heart strings (I never got over Davy Crockett and Andy Burnett mini-series on Disney as a kid). I will suspend rules of logic and physics and enjoy the ride. Also, "Gods and Generals" the Prequel to "Gettysburg" is coming out next week. Definite must see for the whole family.

moa
February 13, 2003, 01:49 PM
Viking6, "Davy Crockett and Andy Burnett" miniseries?

Ha, so there must be another older member on the THR. Those shows bring back fond memories circa 1950s.

I could go on an mention the "Cisco Kid", the original "Lone Ranger" for TV series. I even remember the Lone Ranger on the radio.

Viking6
February 13, 2003, 02:29 PM
moa, let's not forget Don "Red" Berry. I think there was also Tales of the Texas Rangers where they would use the same two partners but story lines would jump back and forth between 19th and 20th Century. The 20th Century Rangers also hauled their horses around in horse trailers when they had to do a little "retro". And while we're at it Buster Crabbe and Captain Gallant ot the French Foreign Legion (emphasize Foreign) and Sergeant Preston of the Yukon.

moa
February 13, 2003, 03:36 PM
Viking6, you have a better memory than me. Don't recall the Texas Rangers program and vaguely remember Don "Red" Berry.

Some of those programs I remember I think started off as Saturday afternoon movie matinee material that ended up on televison.

I remember the Foreign Legion and Sgt. Preston and a whole bunch of other adventure programs and some really good drama programs back in the 1950s. Much of drama programs were live.

Being a kid back in the 1950s in at that time a quasi-rural area (outside Washington DC) during the emergence of the television age was very cool despite the tensions of the Cold War, the Korean War and what have you.

David Roberson
February 13, 2003, 04:16 PM
IIRC, didn't Bill Jordan play the part of one of the Texas Rangers in that TV series?

Viking6
February 13, 2003, 04:37 PM
I really don't know. One of the co-stars had blond hair and a craggy face; the other had dark hair and played bad guy character actor guest shots on westerns like Gunsmoke, etc.

redneck2
February 13, 2003, 06:58 PM
you must be older than dirt

Lesse....shows from my youth

Sky King, Roy Rogers, Howdy Doody. We went nuts when Bonanza came on so we could see a show in color. Jeez, I remember the NBC Peacock...

never mind...

Tim Currie
March 8, 2003, 06:18 PM
Well now that its out, anyone see it yet?

I saw it lastnight and thought it was a very good movie. Moved slow at first but got really deep and kinda touching. I thought all the weapon use and accuracy was done very well. Acting was done well and the chick was beautiful :)

I also didnt expect it to be all that good, I was expecting a big blockbuster action movie but it turned out to be much different and much more than that.

Just my thoughts.

Nando Aqui
March 8, 2003, 06:36 PM
I just saw it and I liked it. It does not have to be compared with BHD or any other movie. It portrays a real crisis rather descriptively (remember the atrocities shown on network TV years ago during the Hutus on Tootsies and later, Tootsies on Hutus killings?)

The action is engrosing (can't say it is good because it may be a bit too much for some - like the bad guys cutting off women's breasts so they can't feed their babies!) and the acting is fine. Don't analyze it too much and enjoy it.

I really liked the very end, when they show philosopher Edmund Burke's quote: "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

Something for everyone to keep in mind, especially these days...

Alex

El Tejon
March 8, 2003, 06:50 PM
I like Bruce. Of course, I liked him in the "Fifth Element" soooo. . . . (O.K., I was looking at the girl the whole time). Has Skunk seen it? Wonder if it's tacticality rating is high enough?

ehenz, majors in the USN? Did not compute. Huh? O-4=eltee commander

six 4 sure
March 8, 2003, 06:52 PM
I just saw it too. Not quite Gods and Generals I saw earlier this week, but I thought it was good.

Just to fuel the rumor fire. I heard last night watching Bill Mahr that Willis called the White House and offered to fight in Iraq if needed. Anyone else hear this? or is it typical Bill Mahr BS.

Six

rick458
March 8, 2003, 07:37 PM
I enjoyed the way Willis's character "negotiated" in the fifth element:what:

Dannyboy
March 8, 2003, 07:42 PM
I saw it yesterday afternoon. I thought it was pretty good. Great assortment of weapons to go with it, as well.

(O.K., I was looking at the girl the whole time)

You're not the only one. Even filthy dirty, Monica Belucci was smokin hot!

Harold Mayo
March 8, 2003, 08:01 PM
I would guess that the script said that he used to be a Major but got busted....either for sleeping with a Generals daughter, or conducting some black ops mission that he could not talk about, but I'm certain he will save the day, again.

Ahem...

I thought that the movie was about SEALs in Africa? SEALs are in the Navy and the Navy doesn't have majors...lieutenant commanders or commanders, perhaps???

Sorry...had to say it.:neener:

trapshooter
March 8, 2003, 08:30 PM
Maybe his character is a mustang. NESEP, out & back. A couple of ways it used to be done. I know of at least two SEAL's who retired as officers after fast starts as enlisted. One retired as a Lieutenant, with an MOH. Not too shabby.

LawDog
March 8, 2003, 08:38 PM
http://www.usaweekend.com/00_issues/000213/000213willis.html

He owns a gun and holds fast to his constitutional right to do so:

"Everyone has a right to bear arms. If you take guns away from legal gun owners, then the only people who have guns are the bad guys."

Bruce Willis is one of the Good Guys.

LawDog

Stevie-Ray
March 8, 2003, 09:45 PM
I thought it was a good movie, though it starts rather slow. This is to allow Willis's efficient yet robotic soldier to build up enough moral character to become more human and more caring, which Willis handles quite well. From then on, it's a shoot-em-up with quite a shattering climax. Good story. I for one, enjoyed it.

Harold Mayo
March 8, 2003, 10:19 PM
My biggest question is this:

Is Monica Bellucci naked in the movie? At any point? Even a glimpse? Is she cold and in wet, thin clothing?

Oops...taking the LowRoad.org there for a moment...:D

incursion
March 8, 2003, 10:31 PM
I liked it as well. At times, it was a bit mawkish, but I'm a pretty sentimental guy myself.

Wilhelm
March 9, 2003, 12:14 AM
Even filthy dirty, Monica Belucci was smokin hot!

MONICA BELUCCI IS IN TEARS OF THE SUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ON MY WAY TO SEE IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WILHELM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blades67
March 9, 2003, 12:41 AM
WO's can only go from W1 to W-5. A commision still requires a degree.

As technology and military demands change there is no substitute for a formal education.

That's crap. How does a Lieral Arts degree make somebody a better officer than four years of enlisted service? :rolleyes:

Beorn
March 9, 2003, 02:58 AM
I recall reading that Bruce Willis was actually very pro gun, pretty much pro everything actually, kind of falls into the just leave me alone and let me do what I want camp.

Sounds just like my kind of guy. Pity Hollywood doesn't have more people like that.

And let's not forget Tom Skerritt. He seems to be a good guy, anybody got the take on his 2nd Amendment stance? (I mean, he was in Top Gun, so that cancels out M*A*S*H, right?):)

UnknownSailor
March 9, 2003, 03:06 AM
Saw it.
Only technical quibble that I saw. Bird captains don't hop into a helo and go in-country to pick up SEALs.

Oh, and all them SH-60Bs flying from a carrier. Carriers fly SH-60F and H models, in HS squadrons.

HSL guys fly SH-60Bs off of cruisers and destroyers. Ya know, small boys. :neener:

But then, only a Navy airplane nut would notice this, so I can over look it. :D

Dannyboy
March 9, 2003, 08:29 AM
Oh, and all them SH-60Bs flying from a carrier. Carriers fly SH-60F and H models, in HS squadrons.

Hey, at least they had SH-60's. You don't get them without cooperation from the military. Just like "Blackhawk Down." I saw the trailer for "Basic" and noticed that they were using UH-1's. It also looked kinda cheesy. Definitely a rental.

Guntalk
March 9, 2003, 01:42 PM
I just saw the movie last night.

I liked it.

Some interesting parallels to current events. A despot is killing people in his country.

The U.S. intervenes. We are the good guys for helping people who are being slaughtered.

But, the anti-war protesters are the ones who would disarm responsible Americans yet guarantee that Saddam has weapons.

Oh, back to the movie. I think it's worth seeing.

JamisJockey
March 10, 2003, 07:54 AM
Saw it last night.
Good flick, Bruce Willis is such a convincing hero.
Plenty of Hollywood we could pick on:
Seals are too disciplined to disobey orders at that level.
I think, IMHO, plan 'A' would have been to snatch the 'package'.
F18's departing with empty pylons...somehow have weapons over the target area :confused:
'Flea' had an eccentric haircut that would probably not be allowed (wife brought this one up "whats up with the damn mohawk?!?":neener: )
A Captain isn't going to be on the flight deck using the Sat Phone. First off, the flight deck is an extremely hazardous place. Second off, you can't hear anything during flight ops!

However:
Much better then the usual hollywood crap. The good guys are the good guys. They have a conscious (sp??). The bad guys are the bad guys. No criminal heros in this one. No U.S. servicemen raping teenage girls (remember that vietnam flick with Micheal J. Fox?:barf: )
I give it 4 of 5 stars. BHD got 5 ;)

BamBam
March 10, 2003, 10:39 AM
Saw it last night.

First move I walked out of in about 10 years. I'm a Willis fan and liked him in this movie but the plot and characters were undeveloped. I stayed for 1 1/2 hours but left early to avoid the crowd.

Viking6
March 10, 2003, 12:55 PM
BamBam, saw it with my son last Saturday. You should have stayed, the last half hour was some of the best action. Overall, I thought it was a good movie and it's one to see before it comes out on DVD.

dongun
March 10, 2003, 02:52 PM
Saw it yesterday.

If the victims that were being murdered, tortured, and raped had a RKBA, there wouldn't have been a story.

BamBam-31
March 10, 2003, 03:24 PM
Just saw it over the weekend with a couple of buddies. They didn't like it too much, but I thought was pretty decent. It may be lacking in plot, character development, and even action, but overall, it wasn't too bad.

I didn't like how it tried to be like Thin Red Line in panning to jungle flora and fauna for no reason, but as soon as the action started picking up, it was fun to see. The chick is hot, even when all sullied up.

I heard Bruce and the director clashed over the overall approach to the movie. Willis wanted it to be more Die Hard, the director wanted more Thin Red Line. You can kinda tell they compromised, and it didn't shift gears too smoothly (like Tombstone's two directors).

I think I'll buy the DVD anyways.

Rebel Gunman HK
March 10, 2003, 03:40 PM
Awesome movie! Right up there with Blackhawk down.

AmericanFreeBird
March 10, 2003, 04:31 PM
I saw this movie last Sunday.

You gotta see them "clear" this village of ethnic cleansers. Whoa baby, most of the BGs never knew what hit them. Great gun action but lots of blood and the ethnic cleansing is too real (mutilations etc.)

Unfourtunately, they got a lot of their material from real life.

The move was still pretty good, I liked it. These hombres are armed to the hilt with some really neat toys!

Drjones
March 10, 2003, 04:41 PM
From the above-linked story:

That was not the thing to say. Willis disagrees with the notion that onscreen violence influences people's behavior, and he resents remarks to that effect made by government entities after the Columbine High shootings. "It's insulting to movie audiences. Anyone who goes to the movies knows that when you see someone killed on the screen, that actor gets up and dusts himself off after the take is over. In my heart, as a father, I think what causes violence -- violent children and violent young adults and violent adults -- is not having a good childhood, not having a father in the house, learning to become a sociopath instead of a good human being. It's as simple as that." (Emphasis mine)

http://www.usaweekend.com/00_issues/000213/000213willis.html

If you enjoyed reading about "Bruce Willis? "Tears of the Sun"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!