Ammo Question - 7.9


June 15, 2004, 04:27 PM
A buddy of mine found some of this ammo mixed in with 8mm Mauser rounds. It seems that it functioned fine, though as soon as he noticed the different headstamp he stopped firing it. Can anyone tell me about this? The markings are:

Over: T <Cresent & Star Symbol> C

Under: 7.9 | FS | 1937

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks,


If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo Question - 7.9" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!
June 15, 2004, 07:09 PM
You may get a quicker respones down in the ammo loading reloading forum. JM

June 15, 2004, 08:00 PM
This is Turkish 8mm. ammo. and if your rifle is in good shape is safe to shoot.

Jim K
June 15, 2004, 08:31 PM
7.9 was the German military designation for what is called the 8x57 JS in the European civilian world, and the 8mm Mauser by our sporting fraternity. Countries, like Turkey, that received ammo or ammo making equipment from Germany adopted the German designation.


June 15, 2004, 09:52 PM
Thanks, Gentlemen.

My buddy will be glad to know he wasn't in danger of blowing up his rifle, though ticked because he ditched a box or two of the stuff, thinking it wouldn't be good to shoot what he wasn't familiar with.

Interesting about the 7.9 designation. I'm just happy with knowing 9x17mm, 9mm Kurtz, and .380. But this would be like adding 8.9x17mm into that mix. Very strange.

Thanks again.


June 15, 2004, 09:54 PM
Oh, and Jager - thanks for the direct. I was torn on posting here or there, but it looks like the answer sure came through quick.


June 16, 2004, 04:08 AM
I believe that Turkish stuff is corrosive ammo. Be sure to clean your rifle properly after using. Quantrill

June 16, 2004, 08:35 PM
7.92mm x 57mm is the metric name for 8mm Mauser.

Jim K
June 16, 2004, 11:23 PM
Most German commercial boxes are marked 8x57, then usually "JS". The "J" stands for Infanterie*, and the "S" indicates the larger (.323 inch) bullet diameter. "J" without the "S" indicates the older .318 inch bullet diameter. Sometimes you see "JR" or "JRS", with the "R" indicating the rimmed version for use in break open rifles and multi-barrel guns (3 barrel drillings or 4 barrel vierlings).

By now, the original questioner should REALLY be confused.

* In the old German alphabet (prior to 1938 or so), there was no "J"; "I" was used for words that are now spelled with a "J". In most cases, the pronounciation is the same since German does not have our "J" sound.


If you enjoyed reading about "Ammo Question - 7.9" here in archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join today for the full version!