"If you are not a law enforcement officer...

PDA

madcowburger
June 15, 2004, 07:17 PM
... then WHAT are you?!"

As reported by Donnie Wilson, in a post somewhere in the thread titled "A friend and I had legally carried firearms confiscated last night," this question was addressed to VCDL Board of Directors Dennis O'Connor as he tried to enter the Richmond City Hall (or was it court house? I don't recall, and if this MB has a "Quote" feature, I haven't found it), while *legally* open-carrying.

Mr. O'Connor's response -- "A citizen" -- was a good one, but I think I can suggest a better one: "An American." Thus:

Deputy: If you are not a law enforcement officer, then WHAT are you?!"

American: An American.

For some reason I am reminded of a passage in _Surprised By Joy: the Shape of My Early Life_, by C.S. Lewis, when he got into some kind of jam at the English boarding school he'd been sentenced to:

"Then the blow fell; Fribble had lied. My name had more than once appeared on a notice board I had never seen. I had committed the serious crime of 'skipping clubs.' The punishment was a flogging administered by the Head of the Coll in the presence of the assembled Coll Pres. To the Head of the Coll himself -- a red-headed, pimply boy with a name like Borage or Porridge -- I can bear no grudge; it was to him a routine matter. But I must give him a name because the real point of the story requires it. Some Blood (a little lower than the Head himself), who summoned me to execution atempted to reveal to me the heinousness of my crime by the words, 'Who are you? Nobody. Who is Porridge? THE MOST IMPORTANT PERSON THERE IS.'"

Deputy Porridge (addressing some mere American trying to exercise his rights): If you are not a law enforcement officer, then WHO are you? Nobody. And who is Porridge? THE MOST IMPORTANT PERSON IN THE WORLD!'"

MCB

If you enjoyed reading about ""If you are not a law enforcement officer..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Treylis
June 15, 2004, 08:10 PM
Actually, whenever anyone asks me if I'm a cop because I'm carrying, I myself always reply: "No, I'm just a citizen" or the like.

Standing Wolf
June 15, 2004, 08:12 PM
"No, I'm just a citizen" or the like.

I think a better answer might be, "No, I'm a citizen." We're not just citizens. We're citizens.

Treylis
June 16, 2004, 10:20 AM
I think a better answer might be, "No, I'm a citizen." We're not just citizens. We're citizens.

Yeah, that exact same thing occurred to me while I was typing it out. I suppose I'll alter my response in the future, heh.

Smoke
June 16, 2004, 11:02 AM
Cops are citizens too. More than that, they work for me. I pay part of their salary.

Police are not the law, they enforce the law. They are not a military organization, they are civil servants.

Answer: I'm a tax paying, land owning, voting citizen.

Smoke

Stebalo
June 16, 2004, 11:42 AM
"No, I'm just a citizen" or the like.

Just a citizen, nothing! We are all citizens here, from the police on up to the POTUS. Wear it with pride.

"I AM a citizen."

That should be enough right there.

Dbl0Kevin
June 16, 2004, 01:42 PM
Cops are citizens too. More than that, they work for me. I pay part of their salary.

Police are not the law, they enforce the law. They are not a military organization, they are civil servants.

Interesting.....so if you don't pay the military's salary as well who does?? Do they work for you as well?

Matthew Courtney
June 16, 2004, 01:56 PM
What is the biggest difference between Cops and citizens?

Citizens are rightfully empowered to disarm the police, not the other way around.

birdv
June 16, 2004, 02:04 PM
Citizens pay speeding tickets. Cops are told to have a nice day.

It is a good perk of the job.
If an officer gives another officer a ticket there is hell to pay.

ojibweindian
June 16, 2004, 02:06 PM
Interesting.....so if you don't pay the military's salary as well who does?? Do they work for you as well?

They work for Americans. Same as any other public servant.

yy
June 16, 2004, 02:40 PM
"are you a cop?"

No, I'm a citizen and they work for me

Art Eatman
June 16, 2004, 05:45 PM
To me, "I'm just a citizen." (shrug) means that my carrying a gun is no big deal. It's merely one of many of our citizens' rights that most folks don't understand. I don't even think of it in terms of cop or not-cop.

Were the lawmakers wise enough to allow "carry" without worrying about open or concealed, I'd go concealed but without worrying about "printing". My notion of casual courtesy includes not unnecessarily disturbing folks, whether it's in style of dress, accoutrements or behavior. I guess most of the time I'm a low-profile kind of fella.

IOW, it's a shame it's such a Big Deal sort of deal...

Art

tcsd1236
June 16, 2004, 08:56 PM
What is the biggest difference between Cops and citizens?Citizens are rightfully empowered to disarm the police, not the other way around.
Thanks for your opinion, but you are not legally authorized to disarm me.

orangeninja
June 16, 2004, 09:03 PM
"Citizens pay speeding tickets. Cops are told to have a nice day.

It is a good perk of the job.
If an officer gives another officer a ticket there is hell to pay."

birdv..........funny you should say that. I got a ticket about 7 months after being sworn in. First one I've had since turning 16. If I make a stink about it, and my chief finds out, my ass is grass. Nobody is above the law.

kd7ctv
June 16, 2004, 09:31 PM
my dad once told the chief of the town he lived and was a city councilmen in that if he was pulled over for speeding he'd better get a ticket or there would be hell to pay, it was a small town and he didn't want any special treatment, they are notorious for ticketing speeders...

Joey2
June 17, 2004, 05:19 AM
How about saying "I am a peace officer". Thats what they used to be not too long ago.

orangeninja
June 17, 2004, 05:42 PM
"I am a peace officer"

Peace Officer....Police Officer....doesn't matter. It violates a code of ethics. However, if that Officer feels a warning is sufficient, I'm cool with that too. As long as I didn't make an issue of it. You never know who will be your backup.:D

tcsd1236
June 17, 2004, 06:42 PM
How about saying "I am a peace officer". Thats what they used to be not too long ago.
Well,at least in NY, that would be inaccurate. In NYS, Peace Officers are people like Probation Officers, Corrections Officers, or such people who need a certain amount of enforcement powers while on the job but who then lose much of that power while not working, unlike police officers.

Michigander
June 17, 2004, 06:59 PM
"If you are not a law enforcement officer...

... then WHAT are you?!"

I am a citizen of the Great State of Michigan, thank you very much!

Cellar Dweller
June 17, 2004, 07:13 PM
Thanks for your opinion, but you are not legally authorized to disarm me.

If I'm reading this right, you're saying the citizen isn't "legally authorized" to disarm the police, correct?

As an individual, no. As a body, quite rightly so. The "citizenS" are the ones who allow the police to be armed in the first place, and if the citizenry is convinced that unarmed police are better, and they pressure their legislators (who represent said citizens) to disarm the police, there isn't anything the police could do about it. Ex. England.

Citizens can exist without a government; a government cannot exist without citizens. Don't forget who is supposed to be the master and who is supposed to be the servant.

tcsd1236
June 18, 2004, 07:53 PM
Citizens can exist without a government
Not very well in any group larger than about six unrelated people.

If you enjoyed reading about ""If you are not a law enforcement officer..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!