Cingular ANTI-GUN

PDA

Josey
June 15, 2004, 06:35 PM
Today, 6-15-04 I went to the Cingular Wireless office in Paducah, KY. Right on the front door-NO FIREARMS. I wanted to upgrade a second phone and change a contract. I discontinued service, cancelled my contract, paid $80.00 and left. We must let Cingular know that this is unacceptable.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cingular ANTI-GUN" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Clean97GTI
June 15, 2004, 06:44 PM
I had Cingular service as well and never came across any sign such as this. That may just have been the managers call.
I am no longer with Cingular, but that has nothing to do with RKBA.

Standing Wolf
June 15, 2004, 07:08 PM
Thanks, eh? That company's off the list if I ever decide to get a cellular telephone. I don't ever do business with anti-Second Amendment bigots.

George S.
June 15, 2004, 07:13 PM
Did you tell the manager why you discontinued service? Wee you carrying at the time? Usually the worker bee at the counter doesn't know why the rules are set up and probably don't care as long as they get their wage and/or commission.

Write the store manager a letter and let him or her know exactly why you not only decided not to upgrade your service but to cancel it altogether. This is probably something that the store manager gets to decide and there is always the possibility that the corporation has no specific policy on CCW in their stores. Mail a copy of your letter to the corporation too, even adding a cover letter explaining what you saw and what you did. and most important WHY you cancelled your service. There should be an address on their website.

Bobarino
June 15, 2004, 08:33 PM
hhhhmmmmmm. this is ponderous. i'm an AT&T wireless customer and they have recently merged with Cingular. my bill still comes with AT&T on it, not cingular, but guilt by association perhaps? AT&T has the best service in my area and the new GSM thing is really good so i don't want to give them up. more pondering is in order.

Bobby

Gray Peterson
June 15, 2004, 09:09 PM
I think this is an individual office decision rather than a corporate decision. Up here in Seattle area, there's no "No Firearms" signs up here. You might want to call Cingular's Corporate Office and tell them what happened. It's similar when Wal Mart stores have anti-gun managers and they put up signs in new places where CCW just got passed. All it takes is a call to Corporate and the signs come down.

Bartholomew Roberts
June 15, 2004, 09:10 PM
I imagine that is a local decision as I haven't seen it here - though we still discontinued our service with Cingular for performance reasons.

Dbl0Kevin
June 15, 2004, 09:23 PM
Getting rid of Cingular was the best thing I ever did. The service was absolutely horrible. Dropped calls, bad reception. Sometimes the phone just wouldn't even ring when someone tried to call!! :cuss:

Gray Peterson
June 15, 2004, 09:53 PM
Every Wireless Carrier, whether it be Cingular, ATT Wireless, T-Mobile, Verizon, or Sprint, or even Nextel, will have coverage issues and reception issues SOMEWHERE in the country. I had to deal with it on a regular basis as a T-Mobile rep, and as a Verizon Wireless customer (Now I'm a T-Mobile customer due to my credit being cleared over ID fraud).

AFAIK, T-Mobile hasn't supported anti-gun causes intentionally. Whether or not they did in the past as Voicestream, I'm not sure. However, in an age of mergers, acquisitions, and stuff like that, you'd be hard pressed to find a company that hadn't contributed to anti-gun cause. Sometimes they get fooled into it, too.

Josey
June 15, 2004, 10:41 PM
First, I was legally CCW. I didn't want the hassle. I put my BHP in the glovebox and locked it. The sales rep said the manager was out. I thought this a little odd. You ARE a communications provider! Call him up. No go. I tried a 800 number, I got silence. I guess a Cingular customer could dial 611 for customer service. I tried their website www.cingular.com I got nowhere. This seems to be a corporate policy though. I checked around and the signs are ON Cingular stores. Retailers that market Cingular phones are independent.

Bubbles
June 16, 2004, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the info on Cingular. I'm researching cell phone companies, and I will take them off my list of prospects.

Just as an FYI - AT&T gave $3 million to HCI in 1996. I won't do business with them either.

http://www.2ndamendment.com/Miscellaneous/at&t.htm

Gray Peterson
June 16, 2004, 07:16 AM
ATT and ATT Wireless are two different companies. ATT Wireless is being sold to Cingular for $42 Billion.

This seems to be a Cingular regional issue because Cingular stores in Washington area doesn't seem to have this problem.

My question being: Is Cingular's store region including Ohio? That might be the reason why, because the anti's are running around in that state telling people that if they didn't post signs prohibiting carry, they couldn't prevent their employees doing the same (lying scare tactic). Call Corporate in Atlanta. Don't bother with Customer Care, they can't really do anything about the stores. Best people to contact would be "Customer Relations". They are the people above customer care who deal with these specific kinds of complaints. This is likely the work of one anti-gun manager, and Corporate needs to clamp down hard on him, just like Walmart does with it's stores posting against CCW.

Hawkman
June 16, 2004, 08:54 AM
My wife does corporate training for Bellsouth and Cingular. According to her, that is a local store decision, not a corporate one.

FWIW.

Gray Peterson
June 16, 2004, 09:08 AM
Well, Corporate needs to clamp down on this Cingular store and tell them to remove the signs or else.

Unless this is an "authorized dealer". If it is an authorized dealer, then your anger with Cingular isn't true at all, because "authorized dealers" are indirect dealers who are not owned or controlled by Cingular. Cingular can't really do anything to these stores other than refuse to activate service from them.

I used to work for T-Mobile, and the problem is that losing customers costs Cingular big money. You wouldn't believe how much a single customer cancelling affects their bottom line. Someone at Corporate needs to clamp down on the corporate stores. The biggest thing I've learned in retention is this: Staking out highly politicized situations and taking a stand either way is a good way to lose customers and no one is happy. You don't see anti-gunners running around demanding that big companies ban guns from their premises to anyone or else, really. You see it in new CCW states for maybe a few months and no more.

Flyboy
June 16, 2004, 05:04 PM
Cingular is an SBC company (SBC==Southwestern Bell; they had to change the name for image reasons), and, if memory serves, SBC is on the NRA's least-wanted list. That's enough for me.

Side note: I was told recently that Oklahoma has case law to support the position that if a business puts up a no-CCW sign, then the business becomes liable for the customer's safety. Anybody know anything about that?

If you enjoyed reading about "Cingular ANTI-GUN" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!