CCW shotgun...heh heh :)

PDA

Marcus
December 28, 2002, 07:51 PM
A friend and fellow CCW holder recently pointed out to me that our carry permits allowed carry of "various firearms",not just handguns. The discussion turned to just what the heck else type of firearm besides a handgun one might carry,from there on it just kept getting goofier and so on. ;) But the question begs to be asked,could a CCW shotgun of some type be even semi practical and if so what would it be and how would it be carried? What about AOWs? How hard are they to get licenced for and purchase? I doubt if I`d ever even consider packing a scattergun but it`s fun to think about....:p Marcus

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW shotgun...heh heh :)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Wakal
December 28, 2002, 08:02 PM
One of those little 14" 3-shot 870's would be fun...have to switch to a bigger jacket though :D

According to some sources, Doc Holliday liked a Meteor 10 guage double fitted with a pistol grip, short barrels, and a ring welded to the barrels at the point of balance. Wore it under a long coat on a strap so that when he opened his coat, it would swing horizontal. Always thought that would be fun for CAS...

A

Preacherman
December 28, 2002, 09:24 PM
I remember reading about a "Witness Protection" model shotgun, which was an 870 with the barrel sawn off level with the barrel retaining nut at the head of the magazine. The stock was sawn off so that only an abbreviated few inches were left as a pistol grip. This was apparently intended for vertical slung carry, muzzle-down, underneath an overcoat by US Marshals and other agents - hence the name. It could apparently be deployed fairly rapidly, and with 5 rounds of buckshot, would be a pretty potent close-range trouble-stopper.

I don't recall who made this model - anyone out there remember?

riverdog
December 29, 2002, 01:23 AM
Actually, with a folding stock and a 20" slug barrel you can carry on a sling under an overcoat. It has a real pistol grip and you can always fold the stock back. Sure, you can carry an 870 concealed and you don't need to cut it down to a 14" barrel. Is it legal? I don't know. My folding stock is in storage.

JeFF D
December 29, 2002, 01:55 AM
Serbu Super Shorty would be perfect for CCW, I really want one of those.

Jorah
December 29, 2002, 09:03 AM
http://www.serbu.com/SS20-s.jpg

They make it in 12 ga, too.

http://www.serbu.com/shorty.htm

Don't think it is carry-legal in NC though. :(

fal308
December 29, 2002, 10:50 AM
Don't remember where but a couple of years ago I was looking for a particular holster on the net and ran across a shoulder holster for an AOW shotgun. Was quite the rig as I recall. Shotgun held vertically on strong side with a couple of extra rounds on the off side, to help with weight balance.

CleverNickname
December 29, 2002, 01:29 PM
Concealed carry of long guns is legal in Texas, w/o a permit. I've seen shoulder holsters for Uzis and Macs. Seems sort of silly/pointless to me though.

Marcus
December 29, 2002, 02:44 PM
Andrews gunleather makes a nice AOW shoulder rig. I was daydreaming about maybe a cheaper O/U,like a Lanber or Bakail with the stock shortened and rounded into a pseudo pistol grip,the forend shortened and thinned down a LOT and the barrels shortened to say 8". Carried in a good shoulder rig and loaded with Aguilla 12ga. buckshot mini-shells it might *almost* be practical and shootable....almost. ;) Marcus

Monkeyleg
December 29, 2002, 05:52 PM
I was at a party years back where three drug-dealer types had sawed-off shotguns under their trenchcoats. Somehow I don't think they had the AOW forms with them, though.

ruger357
December 29, 2002, 06:16 PM
Rico Tubbs shotgun on Miami vice.

Dave McCracken
December 29, 2002, 06:52 PM
Any of you ever shoot one of the shorties? I'd rather try to hit with a Nambu.

That Serbu's another example of the Cool Factor getting soneone hurt, and the wrong someone.

Anyone that has shot an Ithaca Auto Burglar can tell you also. Very short, light shotguns are well nigh uncontrollable in A/S Scenarios. Even sub gauges.

Wildalaska
December 29, 2002, 06:58 PM
I just went through this with one of our State Senators yesterday. In alaska, a carry permit is limited to handguns. In addition, the affirmative defenses to illegal concealed carrying of a weapon (ie, carrying under your coat while fishing) are based on carrying a handgun. Thus, technically, it is illegal to carry one of these under your coat while fishing:
http://www.wildwestguns.com/Bushwacker/Bushwacker2.jpg

Further, cant carry one under my coat with a CCW either..

As this particular Senator is a Class 3 dealer and collector, expect to see a bill soon....

Gordon
December 29, 2002, 07:00 PM
Wait a second Dave, how dare you knock an Auto Burglar Gun? :rolleyes:

Coltdriver
December 29, 2002, 07:03 PM
Does anyone know if it is possible to get a shorter than 18" barrel shotgun via class three permit or tax stamp??

Wildalaska
December 29, 2002, 07:42 PM
Yes, it is, if your state law allows.

Marcus
December 29, 2002, 09:07 PM
I knew Dave McC would chime in eventually as the voice of reason and of course he`s absolutely right! But I figure none of us will get hurt as long as we`re just talkin about it for fun. ;) I wouldn`t even attempt to shoot one of these tiny scatterguns with full power loads (well mabe just once...) but the itty bitty Aguilla mini shells probably would be too bad. Of course there`d still be the problem of trying to hit the target.....:p Marcus

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
December 29, 2002, 09:58 PM
http://www.autoweapons.com/products/othergoodstuff.html

Here you go, Preacher. Unfortunately, the Remington 870 Witness Protection shotgun link is broken, but they do have a cute 870 with a wood stock and a 14 inch barrel.

Have a friend who's a LEO who has one of the W.P. shotguns. Very nice. Reasonably controllable.

Regards,

Rabbit.

V-fib
December 30, 2002, 02:04 AM
wildalaska,

What is the gun you have in the picture?

Dave McCracken
December 30, 2002, 05:57 AM
OK, just for fun, but not for "Serious"....

Andrew Wyatt
December 30, 2002, 02:07 PM
one of those shorties would be kinda neat with a folding stock.

I think i'd rather have a mare's leg for CCW, though.

TooTaxed
December 31, 2002, 06:27 PM
My Special Forces unit back in the '60s ran a test on every type of weapon we could round up, to see what would be the weapon of choice for fighting house-to-house. Fun! We joyously tried out some interesting stuff!

To cut the story short, most effective turned out to be...Surprise!...a 12-ga open-choke shotgun loaded with...Surprise!...#1 buckshot! Those 16 .30 pellets would instantaneously take out a door and frame across the street with one shot...better and faster than a full clip from a submachinegun, and much lighter ammunition to carry, fast reloading. Aught and double-ought buckshot wern't as effective...too few pellets, making a body hit more chancy. :evil:

GinSlinger
December 31, 2002, 06:35 PM
Bonnie (of Bonnie and Clyde fame) carried a sawed off 12 ga with a shortened stock. Attatched to the top and bottom of the butt was a short strap which was looped over the sholder. The gun could be carried under any mid to full-length jacket. The real kicker was that when the fore-end was lifted the butt was automatically placed at the proper position to fire. Saw it demonstrated once and it was real effective. My guess is that a normal to large male could hide it under a normal jacket.

GinSlinger

Wildalaska
December 31, 2002, 08:01 PM
wildalaska, What is the gun you have in the picture?

The Bushwacker (http://www.wildwestguns.com/Bushwacker/body_bushwacker.html)
:neener:

Marcus
December 31, 2002, 10:35 PM
Ginslinger,interesting you should mention that. The gun was an Auto 5 12ga. if memory serves and while it was one of Clydes favorites Bonnie used it in quite a few instances too. She used it with great effect despite the fact that she was something like 4'8" 95lbs. :ar15: Possibly a matter of doing well with it because she didn`t know she wasn`t supposed to be able to handle it? Marcus

Guyon
January 1, 2003, 07:42 AM
There's a reason you grip a pistol the way you do (or should). It has a short radius and requires that you maximize control of the gun for accurate shooting.

To shoot accurately with that Serbu, looks to me like you've got to hold it in front of your face and look down that little short barrel if you want to be responsible and hit what you're aiming at.

Looks like a bloody nose or black eye waiting to happen. I'll pass.

Kobun
January 1, 2003, 11:21 PM
To shoot accurately with that Serbu, looks to me like you've got to hold it in front of your face and look down that little short barrel if you want to be responsible and hit what you're aiming at.
From my limited expirience with shooting shotguns from the hip (I shoot 99% from the sholder), I have found that my shotguns with pistolgrips are actually pretty accurate even out to 10-15 meters shot from the hip.
BTW: The ones I have are cylinder bore.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1135443
I am not saying that shooting from the hip is the best nor more accurate. I'm just stating that it is fairly accurate at closer ranges with a bit of training.
(Please overlook the rifles in this pic).
K.:)

Carbon_15
January 3, 2003, 04:32 PM
http://www.andrewsleather.com/firepower.htm

Would make a nice curio

Mr. Hankey
January 3, 2003, 05:02 PM
How about this little Mossberg?

http://www.mossberg.com/pcatalog/images/51683.jpg

14" barrel, class III required

Triad
January 7, 2003, 11:30 PM
Kobun, what is that shotgun between the Benelli and the AUG? Never seen one of those before.

Correia
January 8, 2003, 04:45 PM
That is a Neostead. South African, 12 shot, dual tube, reverese pump, barrel moving forward, no bolt, groovy little beast.

Kobun likes to taunt us with that picture periodically because we can't get them in the US. :)

KMKeller
January 8, 2003, 04:53 PM
Kobun:Please overlook the rifles in this pic
Sure, Pardon me while I gouge out my eyes...

Kobun
January 9, 2003, 08:23 AM
Kobun likes to taunt us with that picture periodically because we can't get them in the US.
I don't post the pics to taunt anyone. It goes both ways what we want and what we can get in different parts of the world.
Here, I could never get a Serbu Super Shorty, no matter how much I want one. Many other guns are also illegal. :(
Also, I envy you in the US that you can walk into a gun store and just get a gun. Here we have to apply for a permit, for each gun!!! And that cost $50 each time we apply!!! (Same price for 1 gun, or if you apply for a whole bunch).
And if that isn't enough... We have to justify each gun... 30-06 for moose, 6.5x55 for deer, O/U 12ga for hunting in the mountains, pump 12ga for geese etc. :banghead:
And even with all those hoops to jump through, we (Norwegians) are right up there with the US when it comes to number of guns per capita!

There realy isn't much out there on the net about Neosteads. Unless you count all the hype that you find on Counter Strike etc. pages. :rolleyes:
So... I post the pictures so that you guys can see things for yourself. Its like the Ferrari everyone wants, but few can afford/get.

K. :)

Ewok_Guy
January 9, 2003, 03:25 PM
How about this little devil?

Correia
January 9, 2003, 03:43 PM
Kobun, how about we take the best laws of both of our countries. Then we could buy pretty much whatever we want. :)

Anybody want to get together a couple hundred thousand freedom minded folks from around the world and go take over a small African country or something? ;)

blades67
January 9, 2003, 04:34 PM
How about we just free our own country. We could send our bleeding-heart liberals to some poor African country that needs to be saved (the poor bastards won't know what hit them) and we could begin to live like free people once again.

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW shotgun...heh heh :)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!