Springfield xd9 vs. Glock 26

PDA

FMarlon
June 15, 2004, 11:35 PM
I know it's somewhat apples and oranges, but I want info on the pros and cons of each.

My wife says to me out of the blue today "I want that gun" referring to a Glock on Cowboy Bebop (yes we are into anime, nothing wrong with that, right?). After pulling out my glock info we settled on the fact that the one she liked was, in fact a 45.

Some discussion followed and she started asking a lot about the different models and such.

I guess my real question is this:

Which is better for a little woman to shoot? XD9 or Glock 26?

Ok guys have at it.:what:

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield xd9 vs. Glock 26" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
pax
June 16, 2004, 12:15 AM
The one SHE wants.

Not the one you think will be good for her.

The one SHE wants.

Otherwise, even if in your opinion it's the "perfect" gun, it will gather dust in the safe and you won't be able to figure out why she isn't eager to go to the range. (Or, as one of my female shooting buddies commented awhile back, "I hate that gun. Every time I look at it, it makes me mad at him all over again...")

Some points she can compare:

Both are 10+1 rounds in 9mm. That's apples to apples in my book! They are roughly the same size, with the XD9 being slightly thinner and the G26 having a slightly shorter grip. The weight is not appreciably different, but I believe the G26 is slightly lighter.

The XD9 has a shorter barrel, but the overall lengths are almost the same. The shorter barrel thus means a slightly slower muzzle velocity from the XD9, but the sight radius is roughly the same on both.

The XD9 has a more 1911-ish grip angle and a slightly shorter reach from tang to trigger. Either or both of these may make it more comfortable for her hand than the fatter grip and longer reach on the G26. But she'll have to hold them both in her hand to decide.

The XD9 has a grip safety. She may love that feature, or she may hate it. If she has weak hands, or just has a softer grip on the gun, she may occasionally find herself trying to fire when the grip safety isn't depressed.

The XD9 also has a loaded-chamber indicator. The G26 does not. I'm kind of mixed about whether the indicator is a good thing; I think it might tend to encourage new shooters to be casual or flippant about treating every gun as if it is always loaded.

The Glock, of course, is a Glock. No external safety unless you count the trigger safety. She may love that or hate it. It is what it is.

The XD9 and G26 both have a fairly similar trigger feel to most beginners. If she had very much experience pulling different triggers, she'll probably notice that the XD9 has a slightly better trigger (it still feels Glock-like, but it is less Glocky than the Glock).

The really, really cute itsy-bitsy light available for the XD9 may give it an edge in her mind. (I don't like mounted lights, for a whole buncha reasons, but the one that comes with the XD9 is really adorable and if you don't have a hangup about mounted lights like I do, the rail might give the XD9 the edge.)

Personally, I carry and love my G26. I've had it for over four years now and can count on one hand the number of days I haven't carried it during that time.

My husband has an XD9 which he has had since Christmas. I've handled it, held it, shot it, played with it, and still muchly prefer my Glock. He has handled, held, shot, and played with my G26 and still greatly prefers the XD.

Funny part of that is that our hands are exactly the same size (we used to laugh about it when we were dating -- we were made for each other, cut from the same cloth...). I thought he should have been happy to have a gun just like mine, since his hands were just like mine and since he'd had exactly the same amount of experience I'd had when I started shooting (eg, none). I was wrong. Picking out a gun is a very individual thing!

pax

I have always believed that a true gentleman provides covering fire while a lady is reloading. – Tamara

WhoKnowsWho
June 16, 2004, 01:28 AM
My wife's hands are tiny, and just from handling she prefers the XD over any of the Glocks, even the G36 feels just as bulky/wide to her as the other models.

You'll have to dig up a few to rent, or friends to go out with you. If you were here in Tucson, it would be easy.

FMarlon
June 16, 2004, 02:15 AM
Thank you very much pax, that is the info she was wanting. I have plans to get an xd9 for myself as i have handled and shot a couple and like them a lot better than the g26. I will be taking her to the range on thursday and renting a g26 and xd9 for her to try out (and for me to shoot of course). That way she can make up HER mind about what gun SHE wants. I wanted to get us a pair of pistols for our anniversary this year (9 years), but lacked the funds:cuss:

I will, however be getting her her choice for her birthday.

Peace and Love to all!!!

Black Majik
June 16, 2004, 04:38 AM
My pick would be the XD-9

The grip fills the hand a lot better, sure theres the extended base for the glock magazine, but then the mag would be kinda bulky to carry.

The XML light really is a cool lil' light. It fits so flush with the subcompact XD. Play around with it with the light. You'll like it.

Grip safety. Yeah yeah, safety between the ears, but an additional grip safety never hurts. Maybe its the 1911'esque feature at heart.

XD-40 mags. :D

IMO the subcompact XD looks better than the Glock

SA trigger feels a lot better and easier to get used to. People have to practice hard to get used to that Glock trigger. But its possible to learn the Glock trigger nonetheless...

I know the Glock factory sights are plastic. Are the XD's?

Cheaper price. The Glock is a lil' more in price.

Really the only con I can think for the Subcompact XD compared to the Glock 26 is the finish. Glocks finish tops out on top by far. I never did like the XD finish. Feels kinda thin.

otomik
June 16, 2004, 05:42 AM
I assume we're talking about the character Faye's Glock in Cowboy Bebop right? It's a Glock 30 .45, so why are you talking about 9mm?

have her go to the gunstore and have a feel for the G30, there's a good chance she will find the grip uncomfortable and then suggest she have a feel on the thinner G36. but it's my personal hope that she finds the touch of polymer unappealing and takes a look at a SIG or Beretta instead but i'm not going to dissuade someone from what they really want.

Obiwan
June 16, 2004, 08:27 AM
Depending on the size of her hands...

You might have her try a G19 as well

It is about the same size as the G26 w/extensions

FMarlon
June 16, 2004, 12:47 PM
Well, she did mean the glock 30, but after explaining to her the caliber, she asked if there was one in 9mm that was similar.(she has shot both and the 45 almost broke her wrist)

We will be making a trip out to the gun shop later this week.

Thanks for the input!

George Hill
June 16, 2004, 05:27 PM
XD

mrstang01
June 18, 2004, 12:49 AM
I find it hard to believe that the .45 almost broke her wrist. I've had 10 year olds shooting my .45's and it certainly didn't cause them any problems. :rolleyes:

azrael
June 18, 2004, 05:57 AM
XD

My preciousssss (XD-9c) is sitting right here beside me on her pillow...In the next few minutes I will have to tell her goodbye for awhile...I will miss her and she will miss me...IT is kinda sad that we must leave the ones we love to make a decent living...:(

Obiwan
June 18, 2004, 07:37 AM
Dave.....Buddy.....

Get a girlfriend brother!;)

Kilroy
June 18, 2004, 08:19 AM
.(she has shot both and the 45 almost broke her wrist)

I suspect her coach allowed her to shoot the handgun with her wrists bent, thus creating the problem.

She should be furnished a good basic class, sans significant other, and allowed to make her own choice.

XD40EZO
June 18, 2004, 11:35 AM
Get her WHAT SHE WANTS!!!

But for me I'd get the XD9(c), (4") or XD40(c), (4") or XD357

Peace,

jc2
June 18, 2004, 03:58 PM
IF there is a chance she might carry loose in her purse, the XD only choice.

Ken Rainey
June 18, 2004, 07:06 PM
My preference in the subcompact line would be the G26, however, if she liked the size of the G30, then the G19 is very close and usually fits the hand better. As was said, letting her handle each one and determine which one fits her hand the best is the thing to do.

Being a Glock armorer and knowing how they are put together makes me more inclined to prefer the material composition of the Glock pistols - you can't beat 'em for durability with minimal care. BUT, they don't always fit the hand as well as other pistols - my hand fits a 1911 extremely well - but you can't beat a Glock 9mm - training with whatever she chooses will be the key. ;)

As always, YMMV

Ken

dairycreek
June 18, 2004, 07:59 PM
Having said that I just need to say that I have never, never, never been comfortable with Glock's Safe Action. I have carried a Glock for a time in a very good holster with the trigger covered. Even with that I could never get used to that feature of the Glock. For that reason, and that reason alone I prefer the XD. Good shooting;)

Merc40
June 18, 2004, 10:36 PM
Glock 26 hands down.

itgoesboom
June 19, 2004, 02:14 AM
I am glad that you are going to give her the chance to make her own choice. Everyone will have different preferences, and that is one of the reasons why there are so many pistols on the market.

For me, I love Glocks. I want a Glock 19, 17, 36 and 21.

But when it came time for me to purchase a subcompact, the Glock 26 never entered my mind. It just doesn't fit my hand, which is unfortunate.

I tried out the XD9c and it fit my hand perfectly, so that is what I have.

I.G.B.

denfoote
June 19, 2004, 05:31 AM
My wife confiscated my G26, forcing me to get another one!!!
That's all I'm gunna say on the matter!! :D

Merc40
June 19, 2004, 09:58 PM
I am getting the feeling that my wife has the same motives.:uhoh:

Pythonman
June 19, 2004, 11:43 PM
I *almost* bought a compact XD-9 because it do feel solid and good in the hand. The fit and finish reminded me of my Glock 19 and the extra grip safety seemed a good deal to have on one of these as well. Price and excellent reported reliability of the XD just about sealed the deal until I found out one thing about the XD that I hadn't read about before. With a Glock safe action, when you chamber the round you half cock the striker. So when you pull the trigger it's basically a short double action pull to finish cocking the piece and to fire it.
On the XD when you chamber a round the striker is fully cocked and you basically have a long single action pull.
Personally I wasn't ever fully comfortable with the half cocked Glock but I was able to deal with it. But with a fully cocked gun with no manual saftey levers, I'll pass. Yeah, I know theres like 4 or 5 other safeties on the XD but I aint runnin' around with no fully cocked single actions with no manual safety, I don't care how good of a gun it is otherwise.

mrstang01
June 19, 2004, 11:45 PM
Uh, the XD does have a manual safety, the grip safety that you mentioned.

Pythonman
June 20, 2004, 09:01 AM
Uh, the grip safety is a passive safety device, much the same as a firing pin block. Carrying the XD with a chambered round is analogous to carrying a 1911 cocked and not locked. Safeties that can be disengaged simply by holding the firearm in the hand as if about to shoot are passive. There is no manual safety lever on the XD. I don't feel that Glocks with their truer DA need extra safety levers, still, I wouldn't carry a Glock without a holster that covered the trigger guard.
This is all IMO as it regards my piece of mind in carrying the XD, which I otherwise would agree is an excellent firearm. To me, all the XD needs to be perfect is a redesigned trigger group which either partially or fully cocks the striker when pulled.

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield xd9 vs. Glock 26" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!