Creating FEAR

PDA

joe sixpack
June 16, 2004, 08:56 PM
First off, I would like to give full props to reason and wisdom and freedom and rights.

Ok, so I was trying to research this and find some forefather/statesmen/great writer information on this, but did not.

First I will submit that the media and politikos create fear, or operate off of
fear. And yes there are many other entities that do so.

Whatever the button, it is pushed and causes people to react.

So being that it is used by our most unfavorite politikos ("it's for the children" comes to mind), what are their other favorite push button fear
statements related to guns or whatever else?

I've seen some effective use of propaganda in different areas.

Some of my thoughts on the subject are that it's kind of a base attempt at
changing ideas but it does seem to "work" at a lower level. Appealing to someones wisdom can take more time? Or perhaps it's the fear that opens the door to enlightenment?

Any thoughts on this?

cheers, ab

(edited as so far the topic has "bombed" perhaps because initially it was
more "low road")

If you enjoyed reading about "Creating FEAR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
joe sixpack
June 17, 2004, 03:49 PM
I freely edited the above as was not getting any response. Maybe now?

cheers, ab

halvey
June 17, 2004, 03:59 PM
When dealing with emotional people use emotions.

When they say "for the children"

Use, yes I want to protect my children.

When they say "guns on the street"

Say, yes, "I want to arm my wife so she can protect herself from the sex offenders.

whistlepig
June 18, 2004, 03:58 PM
A while back (over a year), there was an article in Men's Journal or some such magazine, written by a psychologist, about how fear is at the root of nearly everything.

Afraid that your school and/or its teachers/administrators will be sued for "creating a hostile/dangerous environment"? Solution: zero tolerance, and more laws that take the decision making process out of the hands of those running the school.

Afraid that you might not win re-election unless you're seen as being "responsive" to your constituents? Pass a law addressing whatever personal responsibility they're afraid of taking upon themselves.

Afraid you might get mugged on the street, or assaulted in your home? Errrrr ...

Afraid that you might injure someone in the course of defending yourself or others? Dial 911.

I don't recall fear, in particular, being a cornerstone of debate in getting CCW laws passed.

But the question is that of the appropriate response to fear. The nanny-state crowd want government to take responsibility. The libertarians and an-caps want personal responsibilty. So I don't see fear, per se, as being a "lever" issue, because it can be used both ways. (Yeah, I know, even when you can cite many examples of the 911-and-wait/pray/die situation.)

mephisto
June 18, 2004, 10:27 PM
Fear and its opposite love both can be used for motivation. Both are found in the root of the same emotions. But the end results are drastically different. If someone has been taught with fear and motivated in the same vain, how much can you really trust them? There is a sense of mistrust that must be used to breed fear into a person. Fear can only be brought into someone through actions that cause strife and tribulations. On the opposite, love is propagated through actions of compassion and caring. Someone that has been brought up in a home of love and compassion will in a time of turbulence look for the good in man. Just the opposite would take place for the individual that was brought up with fear as its guide.

joe sixpack
June 19, 2004, 02:29 PM
Good points.

How about relating fear to motivation in the absence of sensibilities,
true information and morals?

I submit: people are easier to control by pushing the button of fear
when they are: a) dumbed down b) given false information c) have no sense of morality and right or wrong. Further I might suggest that
the several methods mentioned above are for the purpose of control
of people.

Our schools: they can still produce people who can somewhat function
at what level is intended. Not particularly as free thinkers though.
False information is a great way to mess things up. People can think they are operating on the proper data, but are not.
And with the erosion of "the difference between right and wrong", morality
and instilling a great big grey area, as has been done and is being done
by our "mental health professionals", it's going to take a lot to get us back on track, so we are not as easily duped.

cheers, ab

If you enjoyed reading about "Creating FEAR" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!