CCW Permit in PA... Why?

PDA

SodiumBenzoate
June 17, 2004, 05:48 PM
From what I have gathered, the exact same criteria are required for receiving a permit as owning a handgun - so I fail to see the point of needing a permit to carry in PA.

I suppose the .gov just wants the $19 fee, but it's still pointless.

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW Permit in PA... Why?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rms/pa
June 17, 2004, 08:52 PM
it is the old standby TANJ(there ain't no justice),

in PA
if you carry without an LTC you are subject to a certain amount of risk and inconvienince in an LEO encounter.

got your hunting/fishing licence handy?

are you on the direct route to from your local range or gun shop?

if is in a holster it could be considered concealed.... and you need an LTC.

if it is in your hands .... brandishing rears its ugly head.

loaded??/ bad thing without an LTC unless acctually in the field.

heck even the fish wardens have law enforcement powers.... and the game wardens have better search rights than the regular LEO's.

oh yes, LEO's are human.... some of them will lie in court.

keep in mind if an LEO feels he(generic) has probable cause to stop you , he also has the right to frisk you (terry stop)

ie: call your county bar assoc. and get a refferal to a good criminal lawyer and pay him his retainer. win or lose you will need one.

rms/pa
ps: i am not a lawyer nor do i play one on TV. just 50 short years of experience in PA.

as i tell my teenager, there is no justice. there is no FAIR. there is only reality... deal with it.

PATH
June 17, 2004, 08:58 PM
Being an out of stater it was nevcessary for me to obtain the carry permit.
Centre County allows it all to be done by mail and it was a quick and painless process. $19 dollars is cheap enough for me to avoid any problems.

I guess though that the point of your post relates to those who reside in Pennsylvania.

rms/pa
June 17, 2004, 09:30 PM
thx PATH,

yes the thrust of my post was towards PA residents,

for all of my bitter cynicism PA is a good state to live in and most folks are firearms friendly and sensible.

no permit to buy. NFA in most countys. have anything you like on your own property. presumtion of castle doctrine out side of PHILA.

here in central PA i am 30 min or less from 10 ranges,5 state game lands and more than 10 state parks. the local parks are a commonality,plus i can go play in the susquehanna.cause i know where the secret hidden free boat ramps are.

rms/pa

PATH
June 18, 2004, 01:50 AM
I've got to move to a place like Pennsylvania. It sounds like a shooters paradise!

P95Carry
June 18, 2004, 02:56 AM
Maybe not ''Paradise'' PATH but .. it sure is better than many! And in fact .... leaving aside the angst at having to even get a CCW ,, ..........$19 (+another $1.50 for reduction/lamination) .... is not bad for a five year permit.

I carry every waking minute .. and so am moderately content with what we have .... it could be worse!:)

oneslowgun
June 18, 2004, 04:14 AM
PA is a good state to live in (Northern PA anyways). I lived there for 33 years. $20.50 is a fair price to pay for no problems. I even submitted mine BEFORE my 21st b-day, and got it at close of business THE DAY BEFORE MY B-DAY! (yes I did get a little speach about "You had better not carry, or use this to purchase before tomorrow..")

PA State troopers seem to "have a grip" on the laws, but local cops... well I'm not sure being able to READ is a requirement.:D

I knew the qualification days of both the state boys, and the locals, many of my lunches were provided by PA LEO's... and except for once, I always used a S&W M19 2 1/2".

Diggler
June 18, 2004, 09:27 AM
The point isn't about not getting hassled over a $20 permit. The point is, with a PA instant check done on everyone who buys or transfers a handgun, there should be VT style carry in PA for PA residents.

Until then,$20.50 is a fair price to pay for no problems.at least they're only charging you $20.50 to buy back your rights as a degraded privilege.

dinosaur
June 19, 2004, 07:42 AM
As I understand it when the 5 day waiting period came into effect the Sheriffs said no way, they wouldn't deal with it and said "Want handguns, get a CCW." Probably cheaper because the Instant Background check through the S.D. is "instant". One CCW, many handguns.

It has changed over the years since you only have to produce valid I.D. (usually a driver's license) to buy now.

Should we do away with CCW? Probably but when I see thread starters about "What's the best gun friendly state?" and the answers are "Only a 6 month wait, $400 every 2 weeks, (I exaggerate) :what: can carry everywhere except public property, private property, fishing, hunting, bowling, snorkling, boating, the bathroom, while playing badminton etc. so my state is a great place for gunowners" I just Laugh Out Loud!:neener:

Diggler
June 19, 2004, 08:47 AM
Don't you still have to do the NICS check whether you have the CCW or not? I know that before I didn't, but I hadn't bought a new handgun in the past few years. Bought 3 this year, and they all called it in and didn't care to see my CCW permit.

Several years ago you could pick out the handgun, show your CCW permit, fill out the forms and take it home.

P95Carry
June 19, 2004, 09:36 AM
Yeah .. unfortunately having the CCW - or not - no difference. NICS each time you buy.

OTOH .... apart from a sometimes slow response with the phone call, it's still ''fill out paperwork - take gun home!'' :)

dinosaur
June 20, 2004, 04:07 PM
I'm not sure if you were asking me the NCIS ? but yes, the dealer does the phone call and you do the forms. In every case in my experience it takes longer to do the forms than the phone check.

I didn't mention it because I assumed it was a given but you know what happens when one assumes.:banghead:

rms/pa
June 20, 2004, 04:25 PM
ummm PA opted out of the NCIS check, its a check by the PA state police

good part, the staties do not close/go down on weekends and holidays.

bad part , they are keeping lists.

rms/pa

If you enjoyed reading about "CCW Permit in PA... Why?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!