Subliminal Anti-Gun moment on tonights "O'Reilly Factor"? You decide! (6/17/04)

PDA

Roc_Kor
June 17, 2004, 09:05 PM
In the viewer email segment, some emails read on television by Mr. O'Reilly involved gang violence. When the shot moved from the email to him, with a picture labeled "Gang Violence" next to him (as they do in 99% of news shows.) The picture is of a Glock. (I believe it's a 17, or 17L, but I'm not much of a Glock person.:p)

Is this a subtle anti-gun message? Post your comments. We might need to email Mr. O'Reilly, whose show I enjoy very much. (And people think young people only watch MTV... I hate MTV)

If you enjoyed reading about "Subliminal Anti-Gun moment on tonights "O'Reilly Factor"? You decide! (6/17/04)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Devonai
June 17, 2004, 09:46 PM
I think you've been reading The DaVinci Code too much.

What do gang members kill each other with most often? I'm willing to bet it isn't rolling pins. I suppose a better choice for a picture would be a small .25 ACP auto, but neither that nor a Glock is anti-gun, subliminal or not.

MeekandMild
June 17, 2004, 10:00 PM
Personally, when I think of gangs I think of kids wearing color matched clothing, with specific haircuts and tattoos, giving certain hand signals and listening to gangsta rap music and smoking big fat joints. :scrutiny:

But wait, that is cultural and ethnic stereotyping so we'd better find somthing that won't be discriminatory. :eek:

Aha, how about a pistol? Yea, thats it, a pistol! Nobody would complain about us making that the mnemonic device! :evil:

Reno
June 17, 2004, 10:03 PM
O'Reilly is an anti. Some number of months back, he had a bit about the AWB, and said people don't need machine guns and RPGs. When corrected in email a day or two later, he claimed he was just being facetious.

Sure, Bill. :rolleyes:

Roc_Kor
June 17, 2004, 10:22 PM
I think that he could have put something like a bandana with a skull on it, or something. And come time when the AWB comes on the Factor again, I'll be sure to slide him an email.

Justin
June 18, 2004, 02:32 AM
Personally, when I think of gangs I think of kids wearing color matched clothing, with specific haircuts and tattoos, giving certain hand signals and listening to gangsta rap music and smoking big fat joints.

I think that he could have put something like a bandana with a skull on it, or something. Not bloody likely. Those graphics are generally thrown together in about 5 minutes using stock photographs from the AP photo bank by some poor bastard who is over-worked, underpaid, and using sub-par graphics creation equipment. If FOX Nooze is anything like any of the other stations I've seen, the graphic designer has maybe two hours, tops, to create every graphic for the upcoming show. it's not a matter of direct anti bias, it's a matter of convenience.

Personally, I've made a promise to myself to never make an over-the-shoulder box that connotes guns being misused. Trust me, sometimes that is a very hard thing to do.

Regardless, O'Reilly is both a semi-literate statist blowhard and a raving anti.

gewehr44
June 18, 2004, 04:39 AM
Actually, O'Reilly carries & is probably one of the elite in NYC who can get a permit. He was interviewing Geraldo Rivera & asked him if he carried & implied without saying that he did as well. Geraldo didn't answer the question directly in the affirmative, either.

O' Reilly seems to be completely in the uninformed about AK47's & thinks the AW ban has to do with "machineguns". :rolleyes:

Foreign Devil
June 18, 2004, 07:56 AM
Subliminal? There's nothing subtle about it. That sanctimonious pseudo-authoritarian dullard doesn't want regular people to be armed.

dischord
June 18, 2004, 08:46 AM
It probably was memetic rather than subliminal.

flatrock
June 18, 2004, 09:23 AM
What do gang members kill each other with most often? I'm willing to bet it isn't rolling pins. I suppose a better choice for a picture would be a small .25 ACP auto, but neither that nor a Glock is anti-gun, subliminal or not.

The point is that it's the gang members committing the violence, not the guns. Showing the gun without the context of the gang member misusing it is misleading.

It leads to faulty logic such as that if they could remove guns from those neighborhoods the violence would go away.

Justin
June 18, 2004, 09:43 AM
Subliminal? There's nothing subtle about it. That sanctimonious pseudo-authoritarian dullard doesn't want regular people to be armed. I can pretty well guarantee you that O'Reilly doesn't have any direct input into the graphics that are made up for each show. Trust me on this, as Dischord put it, it's more indicative of a memetic reflex than it is some sort of raging conspiracy on the part of O'Reilly himself. Y'all are reading waaaaaay to much into this.

I can't believe I've been put in the position of defending Bill O'Reilly. :banghead:

halvey
June 18, 2004, 10:08 AM
I agree. It connects guns with gang violence. It's not the gun, it's other issues, which can be debated.

They should show a pitted .32 revolver. That's what most shootings are with I am told.

dischord
June 18, 2004, 10:35 AM
Of course, being memetic doesn't make it okay. I simply was commenting on intent or lack thereof.

Treylis
June 18, 2004, 02:06 PM
I couldn't stand that man even if he wasn't anti-gun. Gives me a headache.

CentralTexas
June 18, 2004, 08:55 PM
when our local news talks about a stabbing death and the show a gun in theri graphic....

Justin
June 18, 2004, 09:57 PM
Central Texas- Now that is one lazy CG Operator...

Rebeldon
June 18, 2004, 10:33 PM
At least they didn't show a picture of a Sig! :D

If you enjoyed reading about "Subliminal Anti-Gun moment on tonights "O'Reilly Factor"? You decide! (6/17/04)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!