Message from my congress women

PDA

gabeodog
June 17, 2004, 11:09 PM
Thank you for contacting me about HR 2038, Assault Weapons Ban and Law Enforcement Protection Act. I appreciate hearing from you about such an important issue.

My bill continues the current law, passed in 1994, banning semiautomatic assault weapons, which are not suitable for sporting purposes. The Attorney General makes the final decision, which guns are, and are not, semiautomatic. The bill does not take away the gun rights of law-abiding citizens. Since the tragic shooting on the Long Island Railroad, gun violence is close to my heart. For me, there is no other choice but to support "common sense" legislation that saves lives. Nothing I have ever proposed would prevent a law abiding citizen from owning guns. I believe the desire to reduce the incidence of children's gun violence and the ability of felons to get guns is one we all share.

Thanks again for writing. I appreciate and respect your viewpoint and encourage you to continue to contact me about issues important to you.

Sincerely,

Carolyn McCarthy
Member of Congress

CMC/gb

I can tell it was a standard returun letter because the Long Island commuter train slaying by collin furguson happened in my home town at Merillon Avenue station. So she did not read or care from where it was sent.

So this tells me she and the other congress women (Clinton)are taking long hot showers together, even though they are from seperate parties.

If you enjoyed reading about "Message from my congress women" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Desertdog
June 17, 2004, 11:37 PM
The Attorney General makes the final decision, which guns are, and are not, semiautomatic.
I thought the manufacturer decided this.

which are not suitable for sporting purposes.
I take it she has never taken one to the firing range and shot at targets at about 500 yards. That sounds like good sport to me.

She seems to be as dumb, or as mean as Feinstein.:fire:

Stickjockey
June 17, 2004, 11:55 PM
So this tells me she and the other congress women (Clinton)are taking long hot showers together, even though they are from seperate parties

I did not need that visual!

Standing Wolf
June 18, 2004, 12:27 AM
The bill does not take away the gun rights of law-abiding citizens.

Arbeit macht frei!

GigaBuist
June 18, 2004, 12:39 AM
The bill does not take away the gun rights of law-abiding citizens.

What planet does she live on?

nero45acp
June 18, 2004, 09:11 AM
The 2nd amend. doesn't say only arms for "sporting purposes". The 2nd amend. is about having the means to resist foreign invaders and tyrannical government!!! :banghead:

The gun-grabbers "sporting purposes" take on the 2nd amend. is the equivalent of saying that the 1st amend. only protects "polite speech"!!

Wait......I'd better not give them any ideas.:uhoh:

nero

316SS
June 18, 2004, 03:02 PM
The Attorney General makes the final decision, which guns are, and are not, semiautomatic

By redefining the word "semiautomatic", if necessary.

The bill does not take away the gun rights of law-abiding citizens

True statement. The bill only VIOLATES the rights of citizens. It doesn't take them away.

For me, there is no other choice but to support "common sense" legislation that saves lives

So she supports nationwide AK/VT style carry?

semiautomatic assault weapons, which are not suitable for sporting purposes.

Did the Attorney General decide this?

gun violence is close to my heart.

Freudian slip?

What a piece of work. The product of a diseased mind.

316SS

jefnvk
June 18, 2004, 03:21 PM
The response back from my senaor -- Didn't expect much as he IS a co-sponsor, but I didn't expect that he would have to explain what the ban covered to me (or anyone, if they are taking a stand they should know what they are taking a stand for):

Thank you for contacting me about the reauthorization of the federal assault weapons ban. I appreciate hearing your views on this matter.

As you know, in 1994, President Bill Clinton signed the Assault Weapons Ban into law. This law banned 19 specific weapons, as well as a number of other weapons incorporating certain design characteristics, including pistol grips, folding stocks, bayonet mounts, and flash suppressors. The law also prohibited the manufacture of semiautomatic weapons that incorporate at least two of these military features and accept a detachable magazine. This law is scheduled to expire on September 13, 2004.

I am a cosponsor of the Assault Weapons Ban Reauthorization Act (S.1034), introduced by Senator Feinstein (D-CA) on May 8, 2003. This bill would reauthorize this critical piece of gun safety legislation. If the law is not reauthorized, the production of assault weapons in the U.S. could legally resume. Restarting the production of these weapons will increase their number and availability, and I believe lead to an increase in gun crimes committed with assault weapons. Despite both the support of President Bush and a bipartisan majority of the Senate, the House has not yet taken any action to reauthorize the assault weapons ban.

Thanks again for writing.

Sincerely,
Carl Levin

Bainx
June 18, 2004, 08:00 PM
and I believe lead to an increase in gun crimes committed with assault weapons.

"I believe......." therefore, it must be the truth that you my constituents, are experiencing.

Pure elitist filth.

Foreign Devil
June 18, 2004, 08:03 PM
Yeah "common sense" laws - you're going to the slammer if your gun has a bayonet mount on it. That makes a hell of a lot of sense.

If you enjoyed reading about "Message from my congress women" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!