My Makarov article is free online!

PDA

Dirty Bob
June 17, 2004, 11:38 PM
Greetings!

I occasionally write for ModernSurvival.net (http://www.magserver.net/modernsurvival/), and my latest article is a short introduction to the Makarov. Take a look, please, and let me know what you think! The editor, Jim Benson, is a good guy (former editor of Survival Guide), and he said yes when I asked that the Mak article be one of the "freebies" this issue. I apologize for the low-resolution photos, but they optimize them for fast page loading.

All my best,
Bob

"Dirty Bob" Grundman
Secretary/Treasurer, Local #327,
Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy

If you enjoyed reading about "My Makarov article is free online!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
P95Carry
June 18, 2004, 12:00 AM
Bob .... good work .... a comprehensive resume of the piece with, I'd say, about all that needs covered. You sholuld feel pleased.

I have a Russian ... (Bulgy import tho) and love it ... wonderful piece. Maybe a tad heavy but .. tough as nails, and reliable. I managed to get some .365 cast bullets (93 grn LRN) at a gunshow a while back .. and plan to load for this pup ... when I get to it!

Again .... kudos .. nice article.:)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BTW .... after a small dig to find article ... this appears to be a more direct link ...

http://www.magserver.net/modernsurvival/art8apre.cfm

alamo
June 18, 2004, 12:18 AM
Good article. You can't say enough good things about Makarovs.

SteelyDan
June 18, 2004, 01:20 AM
Good article, dude. Only question I have regards the field stripping section. Most everything I've read says to remove the grip screw and grips before doing the trigger guard thing and removing the slide. Is that necessary or not?

Dirty Bob
June 18, 2004, 02:33 AM
In my experience, you can leave the grips on. Perhaps that step was added to make sure people don't get solvents on a nice set of grips and melt them!
:(

Thanks for the kind words. I really think the Mak is a great little pistol. They really work for me, and they'll work for you if you do your part. The day I shot the humble target shown in the article (at San Antonio's Bracken Range), there were two guys next to me taking turns with a laser-sighted Browning High Power in .40 S&W (drool!). They were having trouble hitting the paper at seven yards, with sights or laser! Skill and mindset are much more important than the best pistol money can buy (though I'd still love to have a High Power!).

All my best,
Bob

joe sixpack
June 18, 2004, 04:39 AM
Good job Bob and thanks for the post. I took posession of a Bulgarian Makarov last Saturday and am looking forward to getting it out to the range soon.

cheers, ab

gvass
June 18, 2004, 05:42 AM
hi,
great article, very realistic, no junk advertainment, as it is usual in gun rags.

Good job!

Stephen A. Camp
June 19, 2004, 02:08 AM
Hello, sir. I enjoyed your article on the Makarov. Thank you.

Best.

Rick Blaine
June 19, 2004, 04:25 AM
Nice work Bob. My Makarovs are the best bargains I've ever purchased. Rick

George Hill
June 19, 2004, 07:51 PM
Good article. Good gun.
I recently aquired and then lost a Russian comercial Mak.
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=1070952
The Bride has claimed it as her new CCW Carry gun.
She says she will let me shoot it... if I'm a good boy.

Dorrin79
June 19, 2004, 08:12 PM
good article - I love my Bulgarian Mak.

Still trying to decide whether to use Barnaul 95gr jhp or (insert brand here) FMJ in it, though. Penetration vs expansion...

One thing I found that vastly improves the ergonomics of the gun are the finger-rest floorplate replacements from Makarov.com (http://www.makarov.com) . I have big hands, and the sharp forward lip on the original floorplates bit me (not bad enough to draw blood, but painful). The replacement floorplates totally fixed that...

CZF
June 20, 2004, 11:27 PM
George, get her a Glossy Blue CZ83. She will soon forget about the
MAK:)

http://www.hunt101.com/img/168788.JPG

WhiteKnight
June 21, 2004, 10:17 AM
Although it is not as powerful as the 9mm Luger (9x19mm), the two cartridges are reputed to give similar performance — very deep penetration, with no bullet expansion — with military full metal jacket ("ball") ammunition. The Makarov bullet is slightly bigger in diameter, but the 9mm bullet is traveling faster and would probably punch through chance barriers or through bone better than the Mak.

I thought with a decent hollowpoint design (read 'Speer Gold Dot") and standard pressur (though even more so with +P or +p+) that 9mm offered excellent expansion. Am I wrong?

George Hill
June 21, 2004, 11:40 AM
CZ-83... Ah, no. If I get a CZ-83, it will be for me and she can keep the Mak!
:evil:

Dirty Bob
June 29, 2004, 02:44 AM
White Knight, you're right (AFAIK) about the 9mm with hollowpoints. With good, modern HP ammo, I think the 9x19 is a heck of a good choice.

What I was comparing was reported performance of full metal jacket ("ball") ammo in the 9mm and the 9x18 Makarov. The point I was trying to make is that the two are roughly comparable in (in)effectiveness when used with the ball ammo that militaries are forced to use. The one place where I think the full power 9mm is better with ball ammo is in penetrating chance barriers, such as window frames and car doors.

Regards,
Bob

If you enjoyed reading about "My Makarov article is free online!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!