Stealing Focus

PDA

OF
December 28, 2002, 08:36 PM
Just a suggestion:

If there were any way to prevent the THR window from stealing focus as it completes a task, that would be great. I would often ask TFL to 'submit' or something, then switch over to another window where I was busy with something else, only to come back in a bit and finish up with TFL.

I noticed when I switched away from an open THR window, it stole the focus for itself after it finished my request.

No big deal, but I'm here to pester and annoy!

- Gabe

PS: Love the new digs!

If you enjoyed reading about "Stealing Focus" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TheBluesMan
December 29, 2002, 09:14 PM
Gabe - Please explain what you mean by "Stealing Focus." I've never heard the term before. :confused:

Do you mean that the window that THR is in jumps to the front as soon as it has finished loading? (assuming that you have multiple browser windows open at the same time)

Mal H
December 30, 2002, 12:50 AM
That is what he means, TBM. A background task (window) will come to the foreground when the task is complete.

Gabe, I tried to get what you described to happen and I couldn't. After the task completed (a search in my case), the un-focused window which had the search would stay in the background, it would not grab the focus. This makes me think it may a system and/or browser issue. What Operating System are you using, which browser, and which ISP? If your ISP is AOL, you may be a victim of their proprietary browser. (Proprietary was the only adjective I could come up with that wouldn't include a string of *'s.)

guitar7272
December 30, 2002, 12:53 AM
thats exactly what he means... in computer lingo, the screen that you are working on is the screen in focus. What happens is he will leave the browser finishing a task such as posting, and when the software takes you back to the forum, it will steal the focus, making itself the front window. I believe that this is a feature of the browser, not the vBulletin board software. Kinda like how a popup ad jumps in front of the browser you're using.

I couldnt reproduce the error either, I'm on windows XP professional with IE 6.0

OF
December 30, 2002, 01:59 PM
Sorry for the confusion, TBM :)

Weird. It's not doing it today

I'm XP Pro, IE 6 and have the browser set to not take the focus...although some sites still manage to do it. THR did it yesterday several times...but seems fine today.

A self-correcting problem! They're the best kind. Carry on!

- Gabe (just damn happy to be here)

Mal H
December 30, 2002, 04:26 PM
"A self-correcting problem!"

Probably more like a bug on vacation. :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Stealing Focus" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!